Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ocz ram voltage problem

Options
  • 25-04-2009 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I have 4g's of 1066mhz ocz ram...

Which the voltage is supposed to be set to 2.1volts.

Everytime i change the voltage to 2.1 in the bios the pc, switches on and then switches itself off then switches itself on and then off and so forth....

Can anyone help me out.
    I'm a first time system builder and might be making just some nooby mistakes...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Dram voltage, You'll prob need to set the divider and timings or it'll set the timings and voltage as per SPD on the ram chip.

What motherboard? any chance of posting a camera pic of your bios

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Ya its not just the voltage you need to set, you will prob have to set timings etc manually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

It's a GIGABYTE-EP45-DS3R/DS3

and timings???

Effluo wrote: »
    It's a GIGABYTE-EP45-DS3R/DS3

and timings???

Ok, timings should be written on the sticks or the packaging, something like 4-4-4-12 or 5-5-5-15 etc. Without knowing what cpu I've no way of working out the ram divider.

Download this, the memory tab should tell you what frequency and timings your memory is running at. The SPD tab will show You what the ram automatically sets the timings and voltages to when the bios is set to autoumatically get these settings from SPD (notice lower frequencies use lower voltages). Open Cpuz 3 times and post a screenshot of this memory, SPD and cpu tab opened, like this:

cpuz.jpg

To have Your ram running at full speed it needs to be running at 533mhz in the memory tab of Cpu-z (because its dual channel the 1066mhz is halved), I suspect Yours is running at around 400mhz (800mhz dual channel) with 1.8v, a lower setting as per SPD. Mine has 1000mhz ram, see mine runs at 500mhz.
    You need to set the memory divider to whatever gives You 1066mhz or slightly under memory frequency, changing the divider in your bios should show you the frequency without applying the changes. Set the timings manually to the timings they're supposed to run at and set the dram voltage to 2.1V. Press f10 to apply the changes and reboot, fingers crossed

Cheers for the response.

Here are those pics you requested

here are the timings too, i got em from the website i bought the ram from
    edit: here are the times CL 5-6-6-18 (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)

Thanks again

• Advertisement

Funny, there's no SPD option for 500mhz or 533mhz, got a link to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭alanucc

Had almost the exact same problem with my ga-ep45 ds3l, I assume you're not running the F10 BIOS. Drop the mch core voltage and the dram voltage by 1 increment in the bios (0.05 Volts I think) You will need to be quick to do it between freezes. Once you update to the latest BIOS, you should be able to set everything to auto again

oooooook...??

Anyway i went into bios to set everything manually as someone stated earlier.

The timings were set to auto and were already what they were supposed to be...

5-6-6-18.

also i didn't quite follow you there alanucc

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Don't be fooled by the name, the Gold series is actually OCZ's budget range. AFAIK Gold doesn't get any EPP SPD settings - only Platinum and Fata1ity do. Only newer mobos (and a few older nVidia and MSI) recognise EPP settings anyway. Without the EPP settings you have to enter everything manually, as those modules are hot-running OCable PC6400, not native PC8500 (which is pretty rare actually - 99% of PC8500 is really overvolted PC6400!).

First up, I'm guessing from those CPUz screenies that you're running an FSB1066 CPU (Q6700) and not OCing, so your mobo's bus speed is set at 1066/4 = 266. Next, I'm assuming you want to run the modules at their rated 533MHz speed (to get 1066MHz effective) so the ratio between memory speed and bus speed is 2:1. And we know the best-case-scenario latencies at that speed from OCZ itself - 5-6-6-18 for PC8500 Gold.

So now you need to hunt through your BIOS and set everything manually. Go into the MIT menu, scroll down to the Memory section, turn off any Auto setting you can find, set the divider to 2:1, voltage to 2.1V and the timings to 5-6-6-18. Save, exit and test for instability. Bear in mind that you may need to increase the northbridge/ICH voltage to keep OCd memory stable.

• Advertisement

OP Im saying that it's nothing to do with RAM timings, its a voltage problem. Go to the Intelligent tweaker menu in the BIOS and drop both the voltages I mentioned 1 increment below their rated value, so if the dram voltage default is, say, 2.1 then drop it to 2.05. This will give you a stable comp to work with

Playing around with timings is pointless until you update the BIOS to the latest rev imo

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

alanucc wrote:
    Playing around with timings is pointless until you update the BIOS to the latest rev imo

Just as pointless as micromanaging vDIMM before overvolting the NB :P

I actually had an Asus rep tell me that to my e-face :o

Hey look, im just saying that I had the exact same problem 4 months ago with almost the exact same motherboard using 4gb RAM, above 2 posts are how I solved the problem and im a happy camper now. glhf :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Latest Bios is essential

Advertisement