Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone 3G Roaming on Meteor

• 25-04-2009 4:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

Noticed a few days ago Vodafone's 3G/HSDPA network is open to Meteor users here. Tried it out and it works really well. Data works for the same price, so this could be very useful. Also tried video calling my friend (also on Meteor roaming onto Vodafone) and it worked fine. If I was to guess I'd say it only works in areas where the Vodafone GSM network is open (seems to be done on a blocked/county or part of county basis). The only problem with it is that you have to manually select Vodafone 3G as the network which will cause a tiny bit of trouble if you move into an area with no Vodafone roaming.

Also tried using a 3 SIM on Vodafone 3G but it didn't work.

Has anyone else seen this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

3 only roam onto vodafones 2G network. Most areas that have vodafone 3G coverage will have 3 3G coverage too that is probably why you cant roam onto vodafones 3G network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Walkman wrote: »
    3 only roam onto vodafones 2G network. Most areas that have vodafone 3G coverage will have 3 3G coverage too that is probably why you cant roam onto vodafones 3G network.

Yes, however Meteor used to have GPRS only roaming on Vodafone but this seems to have changed recently. I'm not sure now that I think about it that COMREG would allow 3 to roam onto Vodafone 3G but I was using this to determine if it was an issue with how Vodafone have their transmission and roaming set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Adro947 wrote: »
    Yes, however Meteor used to have GPRS only roaming on Vodafone but this seems to have changed recently. I'm not sure now that I think about it that COMREG would allow 3 to roam onto Vodafone 3G but I was using this to determine if it was an issue with how Vodafone have their transmission and roaming set up.

3 have on reason to let their customers roam onto vodafones 3G network as 3's 3G is more extensive than vodafones. Why would comreg have anything to do with roaming agreements?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Walkman wrote: »
    3 have on reason to let their customers roam onto vodafones 3G network as 3's 3G is more extensive than vodafones. Why would comreg have anything to do with roaming agreements?

Comreg are involved as they advised Vodafone to open up their GSM network to 3 in the first place, as it would have been nigh impossible for them, or any other new mobile network, to attempt to enter the Irish mobile market due to the costly investment of creating their own network infrastructure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Rory B

Adro947 wrote: »
    Noticed a few days ago Vodafone's 3G/HSDPA network is open to Meteor users here. Tried it out and it works really well. Data works for the same price, so this could be very useful. Also tried video calling my friend (also on Meteor roaming onto Vodafone) and it worked fine. If I was to guess I'd say it only works in areas where the Vodafone GSM network is open (seems to be done on a blocked/county or part of county basis). The only problem with it is that you have to manually select Vodafone 3G as the network which will cause a tiny bit of trouble if you move into an area with no Vodafone roaming.

Also tried using a 3 SIM on Vodafone 3G but it didn't work.

Has anyone else seen this?

To be honest you have just identified a problem, meteor's national roaming with vodafone is only for 2G & GPRS, not 3G or HSPA, this is possible however I seriously think VF would allow this as they are a competitor & this would allow Meteor broadband customers access to their 3G HSPA network which I do not think they would like.

National Roaming works through LAC (Location Area Code) each sector (range of cells) of the network has a LAC and VF can choose which LAC's meteor customers can use, either VF have a fault or included Meteor in a 3G LAC in error.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭ProjectC

Yup i created a a topic here a few days ago about this.... i have ful access to vodafones 3g network..

is this a administration error of some sort...?? has sumthing gone belly up along the way....i really dont think vodafone would do this.

AND

if its not an error then meteors coverage map should show all of vodafones 3g lcoations and advertise it as theirs??

i personally think sumthing has gone wrong and by next week well get a access denied message

i do rember somthing similar when meteor went live on 02's network for the roaming agreement. i could make unimited calls for free.texts costme but i was ringing everyone and it never cost me a cent.this alsted for one week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Seems Vodafone have copped onto this. Stopped working about a week ago or so...

Advertisement