Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excessivly dry fretboard

Options
  • 25-04-2009 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Just noticed that my fretboard on my acoustic is REALLY crazily dry. Im talking so dry that the rosewood has become a much brighter shade than it has been in the past. It also feels like crud to play.

Dont have a clue how this came about, I went on holiday for two weeks and when i took it up to play it there i got a bit of a shock. It wasnt left anywhere where it was excessivly hot/cold/humid and its free of grime.

Just wondering if theres anything from around the house that can remedy this dryness? I know bore/lemon oil are meant to do the trick but I cant get into town this evning and the guitar shop will be closed tomorro.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I'm sure it would be grand for another couple of days until you get some lemon oil, rather than put something domestic on it which might come back to haunt you in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Argh...o well....damm you acoustic guitar for being dry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

Fret Doctor.

http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm

The creator is also a really nice guy. Folks will say this is over kill and lemon oil is just fine. maby it is, maby it isnt. This stuff is not expensive and really does an outstanding job.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭BSOM

Stuff looks good!

If you did want to get Lemoil there are two brand which you would pick up pretty easy, Kyser or Planet Waves.

You might also want to make sure that the wood inside your guitar isnt getting dryed out aswell. Planet Waves make a guitar humidifer for such things also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

BSOM wrote: »
    Planet Waves make a guitar humidifer for such things also.

That's way over the top for me. I would immediately loose respect for someone if they purchased one of these. It's like man makeup products ;) Not for my generation.........

Don't be suckered just because people are telling you that you need these. You don't.

P.S. no offense to the man/woman quoted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭BSOM

Quattroste wrote: »
    That's way over the top for me. I would immediately loose respect for someone if they purchased one of these. It's like man makeup products ;) Not for my generation.........

Don't be suckered just because people are telling you that you need these. You don't.

P.S. no offense to the man/woman quoted.

Lol, none taken. Was just letting him know, Ive only ever seen one in use. It did the job for a mate of mine who bought a J200 from the states but in most cases you wouldnt need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭Rigsby

fguihen wrote: »
    Fret Doctor.

http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm

The creator is also a really nice guy. Folks will say this is over kill and lemon oil is just fine. maby it is, maby it isnt. This stuff is not expensive and really does an outstanding job.

+1 for Fret doctor. Having said that, it, and any other similar product should be used very sparingly and very rarely IMO.

A humidifier, not so bad for people living in excessivly hot/dry countries but for ireland. I think not.

again no offence the the guy/gal who posted it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

yeah humidifiers would only be useful if touring or bringing your guitar abroad on holiday. same goes for violins etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Quattroste wrote: »

Your generation probably needs man make-up more than the ones who are using it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭Rigsby

If your guitar is kept in a hard case or gig bag when not in use, that can go a long way to keeping things stable. I've been to people's houses where a guitar was on it's stand, either in a dampish back room, or a very warm centrally heated room. This is asking for trouble IMO.

Got no soft/hard case im afraid but my house and especially my room isnt excessivly cold or hot ever. this is the first time any of my instruments have gone like this so its a freak incident me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Your generation probably needs man make-up more than the ones who are using it! :D
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

Shut up b!tch :P

Advertisement