Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UCD Lake

Options
  • 25-04-2009 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

Hypothetically, is swimming in it really as dangerous as they say, would one actually need a tetanus shot after it or anything?

This is purely hypothetical, of course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Hypothetically - it has been done before. And I'm sure not everybody got a tetanus shot after it.

Purely hypothetically though.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

If I were to hypothetically go for a swim in the hypothetical lake, I'd, hypothetically of course, want to make sure I don't swallow any of the hypothetical water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

How is the water hypothetical?

You took it too far :(

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

the lake is absolutely disgusting. I wouldnt swim in it for all the tea in China!

thats right.
    ALL the tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Hypothetically, you wouldn't need a tetanus unless you got cut by something, am I correct in that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Yep - which would be a distinct possibility, I imagine, broken bottles etc. I've had several tetanus shots over the years, but I still wouldn't go in there, out of concern that I'd come out a pound of flesh lighter. :eek:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Tom65 wrote: »
    Hypothetically, you wouldn't need a tetanus unless you got cut by something, am I correct in that?

Hypothetically, ha, you hypothetically would be fine unless you had some form of open wound, got in your eyes, or mouth... hypothetically...

however be safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Swan fetish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

6 lads from my class hopped in there after their Christmas exams in 1st year, of course its not definitively attributable to jumping in the UCD Lake but 4 of them had flu the following week. Swimming in any cold water body (not just the UCD Lake) at 3am in Christmas week is never to be advised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Brimmy wrote: »
    Hypothetically - it has been done before. And I'm sure not everybody got a tetanus shot after it.

Purely hypothetically though.

Back in 2006 the ents officer jumped into it to promote the UCD Ball. He was straight off to Vincents after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

gubbie wrote: »
    Back in 2006 the ents officer jumped into it to promote the UCD Ball. He was straight off to Vincents after

Has to be said,that guy certainly committed to promoting his cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭imasmeasmecanbe

We ended up in their after a messy night out last semester, didnt need a tetnis but there was an unpleasant skin condition involved needless to say i wouldnt advise it.......... unless your very drunk in which case its a great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

This isnt real Slurm at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Skin is porous.

I know someone who was pushed into the lake in 2003. He seemed fine, but ended up in hospital for a week or so. Probably totally unrelated, but I would keep an hypothetical eye on myself if I'd hypothetically fallen in to the hypothetical water in the hypothetical lake, hypothetically speaking of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

This hypothetical thread reminds me of Pat's line in Brendan Behan's An Giall/ The Hostage about his hypothetical execution:

'When I came back to Dublin I was court-martialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence.'

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭imasmeasmecanbe

Once again a hypothetical amount of alcohol and a false sense of dignity led some guys..... that i definitely DO NOT know to go skinny dipping last week....... the hypothetical swans got very angry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

An hour in a swimming pool will work out cheaper than a tetanus shot. I recommend Glenalbyn if you want a dip, leave the swans to their fetid water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

I've been in it twice. The water is pretty filthy because it doesnt move around a whole lot. I've never gotten sick from it, but there are nicer places to have a swim, and there is definitely a risk of leptospirosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

and there is definitely a risk of leptospirosis.

would one say a hypothetical risk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It's alright, the UCD ball was almost 2 months ago and I'm still alive :D
    EDIT: Eh... Hypothetically speaking, of course. ;)

Advertisement