Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Cottage Renovation

Options
  • 25-04-2009 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

There's an old cottage on our site. Myself and the woman aren't too keen on knocking it. Instead we'd like to convert it into a boiler house for a wood gassification boiler and tank. That way it would be closer to the house and easier to get to for lighting, refilling and less of a run for the piping.

We were thinking of knocking the extension part to the right of this photo.

18042009103.th.jpg

I'm really wondering if its feasable to renovate the cottage for use as a boilerhouse. I realise the roof has to be redone, and there's no floors. But apart from that.. Is there anything I should be on the lookout for?

I've seen other threads mentioning dry-lining and what not. Would this be needed? Would the bare walls be sufficient?

Here's more pics of the cottage

What do you think?

Thanks for your time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

To keep it purely as a boiler house all it needs to be is weatherproof. However, for a boiler house to work efficiently it would need to be close to your house. How will it look having a very big boiler house so close to your house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

To keep it purely as a boiler house all it needs to be is weatherproof. However, for a boiler house to work efficiently it would need to be close to your house. How will it look having a very big boiler house so close to your house?

Would it look much different than a garage beside a house? I realise it is big but by the time the boiler, 2000 litre tank and a supply of logs go in a new boilerhouse wouldn't be much smaller anyway.

Its 5 metres from the back of the house. Hopefully not too far away to affect the efficiency of the boiler.

Would there be any benifits to insulating it? Or is that just wasting money?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭screamer

It only needs to be waterproof as it is not adjoining your house, is it a wood burning boiler? If so, I'd think you'd need dry lining for the area where the fuel is stored as it will soak in moisture in an old place like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

screamer wrote: »
    It only needs to be waterproof as it is not adjoining your house, but TBH, I wouldn't put a 2000 litre tank of fuel into the same garage as the boiler, and I'm sure that the insurance company wouldn't be into that idea either. If I were you, the least I would do, if you are going to house the boiler and tank in that little cottage is to build a dividing wall between them right to the roof and so seperate the boiler from combustable material. TBH, if I owned that cottage, I'd renovate it and put a sauna and hot tub into it! but hey, that's just me.

Once the tank is bunded it would be fine. It's down to personal choice and even though I mightn't agree, I wouldn't knock the idea.

BTW Great idea about the sauna and hot tub.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

To clarify. I'd be using a wood gassification boiler. The fuel is wood. The 2000 litre tank would be the accumulator tank (thermal store) for the boiler.

Good thoughts about the drylining. There would be some storage of timber in the cottage. Not sure how much. But it would be moisuture sensitive.

The sauna has me thinking about changes that I could make elsewhere :)

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement