Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Monument" by Splashworld in Tramore

Options
  • 25-04-2009 7:16pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anybody know what the council have errected at the enterance to Splashworld? Looks like a monument designed to be some sort of tree. They have been working on the piece of land for the last few weeks and errected this thing yesterday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

ye spotted it when was heading to gym yesterday what on earth are they doin?? are they trying to replace the old tree that fell down few years ago r something lol

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/‘tears-over-ladies-

According to Joe Conway that momument cost €60,000 , is that not just an insane amount of cash to blow in this climate for that piece of scrap, just wait for the next councillor that comes looking for a vote from me

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan Nangle

That €60k would have gone a long way towards bringing the Tramore Ring Road up to the same standard as the road to Clonea Strand they built last year.

DSC00972.jpg

DSC00728.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The ring road has all the weeds due to the drainage work from the council. Its apparently being sprayed, but it seems to be slow movement.

Who voted for this waste of money, above? I know you might say sitting councillors but who - or did they all?

Sully wrote: »
    The ring road has all the weeds due to the drainage work from the council. Its apparently being sprayed, but it seems to be slow movement.

The ring road has weeds because the Council couldn't be bothered landscaping the ground after putting down the pipes.

Spraying it doesn't solve the problem, and is guaranteed to have the Greens and a couple of other "Light Green" Independents going bananas in the media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

I only caught a glimpse of it as I drove past, but it is just the one relatively small "sculpture"?

TBH for 60k, it's not very impressive at all, you'd hardly notice it. I thought from reading the piece in the Munster that it was a cluster of sculptures (of irises) grouped in that area, but it seems it's just the one small piece? Money badly spent it would seem (especially given the absolute state of the roadsurface on the Waterford-Tramore road).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

lets call for resignations!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I see on the munster express last Friday a Former Mayor was giving out about it. and that money should've been used to repair Lady's slip.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The Ladys Slip is being repaired but the major said that the money for that had to be begged for. He also made the point that no member of Tramore Town Council was on the board and one member of Dungarvan was, that made the decession to errect this, while Lola O'Sullivan would be a suitable candidate with her background. Ann Marie Power felt the councillor from Dungarvan was a suitable choice for the board.

Will be online in a few days for the exact article :)

This issue is starting to come up on the doors. Had one lady tonight who was absolutely livid about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

It's very frustrating. Sitting councillors getting a bad rap for it when they had lamentably little to do with it.

This issue is starting to come up on the doors. Had one lady tonight who was absolutely livid about it.

I assume its the area its in the person who brought it up was? Its not the nicest piece of art, in my opinion. In these times, you would think the money would be diverted to other projects and the funding for such would come another year when there are less important issues.

Plus, its not in the best of areas.

(When you canvassing my area Stan? Its not fair I cant blame you for the budget on the door!! :p)

It's very frustrating. Sitting councillors getting a bad rap for it when they had lamentably little to do with it.

The 1% for Art scheme was always going to provide money to support art in Tramore from the budget of the Sewage Treatment Plant. The Councillors could have anticipated this and sought to influence how the money was spent before the process began.

I bet you the 1% of the €1.7 million for Art for the new Clonea Road is dealt with in a different way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

Did the councillors implement that scheme? Did any of them sit on the council making the decisions?

It's a quango-generated problem, like most of Tramore's problems. The real issue is that people need to be made aware of what the county managers and other unelected bodies are deciding without democratic input.

Just a headsup..

TNS/MRBI Poll 15.05.09
    FG 38% (+6)
    FF 21% (-1)
    LAB 20% (-4)
    SF 9% (nc)
    GRN 3% (-1)
    OTH 9%

Government Satisfaction 10% (-4).

Did the councillors implement that scheme? Did any of them sit on the council making the decisions?

It's a quango-generated problem, like most of Tramore's problems. The real issue is that people need to be made aware of what the county managers and other unelected bodies are deciding without democratic input.

The Councillors make the policy. The Officials deliver the policy the Councillors made.

I agree there are lots of areas where improvements can be made, but on the issue under discussion here the Councillors could have had an input.

Did any of the Tramore Councillors lobby Councillor Tom Higgins to try and influence how the money was spent?

Some more stats I missed;
    Brian Cowen scores just 18%, a fall of six since February.

Enda Kenny is up three at 33%, while Eamon Gilmore has the highest satisfaction rating at 51%, up 7.

John Gormley at 25% is down four and Gerry Adams at 34% is up two.

1% for art , and thats all we get its like they just rushed something in to spend the money , this country really p****s me off at times , I'd prefer the money not to be spent at all than wasted I pass that sculpture a few times a day and it riles me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Gulamugas

rasper i have to agree, its "cat dog melodeon"! and the place that they have put it looks like they are kinda embarrassed about it and want to hide it behind those trees

It is hidden away ,I think we'd be better off with a tree

here's more from the munster

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/bronze-irises-give-rise-to-a-problem-for-joe/#comment-4373

I'm very surprised that according to the statements it doesn't look tramore town council had any input about it, which is disappointing but typical, far too much money is being wasted at a time when thousands are forced onto dole queues it make me sick.

• Advertisement

Advertisement