Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The quality of refing in the Premiership?

• 25-04-2009 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭

Before I start let me say I'm a Celtic fan so i don't have a bias towards any team in the Premiership.

Is it my imagination or on many occasions do referees seem to give Man Utd and other big teams vital favourable decisions?

The decision to award a penalty in todays Man Utd v Spurs game was an absolute joke. One almost knew as soon as Carrick went down in the box and in Old Trafford the ref was bound to give Utd a penalty despite the obvious change in trajecory of the ball resulting from Gomes' touch.

I'm sorry but that decision just ruined my enjoyment of what was a good game.

Are the referees biased toward the big teams in the Premiership, especially Man Utd, or are there just too many rubbish referees in this league?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

There's a lot of very poor decisions in football in general. I think referees take the context of the game (big teams playing, big match, whatever) and the scoreline too much into account when awarding a free or penalty.

It's either a penalty or it's not. Anything else really shouldn't be relevant. This is where they need to focus and this is where they are going wrong IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Video replays/Video refs.

Goal line/Offiside technology.

Both should be in, joke that they're not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Holsten wrote: »
    Video replays/Video refs.

Goal line/Offiside technology.

Both should be in, joke that they're not.
    I do think video ref like Rugby is definitely the way forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Is it my imagination or on many occasions do referees seem to give Man Utd and other big teams vital favourable decisions?
    Danny Welbeck - FA Cup - STFU.
    I'm sorry but that decision just ruined my enjoyment of what was a good game.
    I'm sorry but that's bull ****. "Ruined your enjoyment"? Get real. That's football. Bad decisions occur. And United were still 2-1 down after the penalty. I suppose the next 4 goals were because of the penalty. :rolleyes:
    Are the referees biased toward the big teams in the Premiership, especially Man Utd, or are there just too many rubbish referees in this league?
    There are just as many bad decisions in the lessser viewed matches, it's just not commented on as much. And this myth about the big 4 getting all the decisions is crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

My opinion.

Most of the games on tv live feature the top clubs, therefore more analsysis will be paid to these games more than any(unlike a stoke v Boro saturday 3pm game for example)

If there is a poor mistake in the game then that decision will be highlighted more by the Andy Gray/Craig Burley brigade.

There is also the fact that the teams at the top attack more, therefore are in the opposition box more, and more of a chance to get a peno.

Then there is the bitterness of fans. Everyone thinks their rivals get more favourable decisions when really it's just bitterness clouding their judgement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

First off - the refs are JUST poor. I certainly wouldn't say they are biased towards United as there have been many 'stone wall' penalties turned down for United this season and last - last weekend agaisnt Everton being a clear example of this - United haven't been getting penalties for a while now.

The one today was a poor decision, no doubt, but the fact is that Carrick got to the ball first and did move it away from the keeper - maybe the ref though the only change in direction came from Carricks touch. A poor call regardless, but maybe it was simply that as opposed to United having bribed him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Refs and the FA and UEFA/FIFA all seem to hate technology. Part of the problem is the sheer speed of footballers and the modern ball, refs can hardly keep up at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

K4t wrote: »
    Danny Welbeck - FA Cup - STFU.

You are basing that on the assumption that Man U were the big team in that match.

You are basing that on the assumption that Man U were the big team in that match.
    Well they were the better team :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Referees will really have to stop raping the teams outside of the "top" four.

The decisions they make are shocking, its very rare a ref has a good game anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

As k4t said, Danny Welbeck, FA Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

My response may be a bit harsh at this moment in time (liverpool fan); however I really feel that penalty was an absolute joke. The minute it happened I could clearly see that it wasn't a penalty, but pretty much at the same time I knew it was going to be given....old trafford and United being 2-0 down at the time.

The standard of referring in the premiership is an absolute joke purely because most of these guys have never played football at any sort of level...yes that's generalising and speculating at the same time but it appears pretty evident.

I suppose it's easy for some of us who have the benefit of replay to criticise the refs but I feel it is warranted in a lot of cases. Sure they have to make decisions on the spot and there are some very clever simulators (I think that's the correct word!); however there has been so so many awfull decisions this season, at crucial moments. Yes they are only human and some times have their view obstructed. So, what would stop all this...well video referring would IMO...but for some reason the powers that be seem to be reluctant to introduce it. Rugby has porved how successful the system can be.

There is too much at stake these days with regard to premiership success / survival not to introduce technology; however I would be very surprised if it is introduced any time soom :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

That was definitely a penalty today for United so I stopped reading after the OP dismissed it.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    That was definitely a penalty today for United so I stopped reading after the OP dismissed it.

Please explain how...keeper CLEARLY got the ball?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

How was that a penatly Xavi?

The keeper touched the ball and then carrick fell over him!

LOL, Good one!!!:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

FFS

Are you a closet Pool supporter ?

Get over it lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Personally I think the reffing is fairly ok to be honest. Some refs I really dislike but most are ok.

Before you comment, try actually reffing a game some time. It's extremely difficult to do and get every decision right, which is what is expected these days.

Carrick got the first touch on the ball and was on his way around Gomes before he was obstructed and brought down. Definite imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Most of them i dont mind, but every time i see Mike Reilly's name down to officiate, i know we're in for controversy.

• Advertisement

I for one am an Arsenal fan so couldnt care less about utd,liverpool,spurs
    but decisions like what we saw today really do make me sick, the wellbeck one was also an absolute disgrace.

I just find hard to believe how refs can make such terrible mistakes, it really does piss me off.

Offside decisions not so much as i feel the so called assistant referees have a much harder job.

Carrick got the first touch on the ball and was on his way around Gomes before he was obstructed and brought down. Definite imo.

So let me get this right...because Carrick got the ball first and was on his way around Gomez, was Gomez not entitled to do his job and take the ball away from Carrick? Ok, he may have taken Carrick down but he certainly got the ball first the same as a tackle in the middle of the park...if a player takes the ball fairly (regardless of whether he touched it first or not) and takes the opposing player to ground in the process, well it's not a foul...def no penalty IMO of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Just before the penalty decision my gf asked me "why is there no video ref like in rugby".

She's right.

It still would have been a penalty though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

The worst post i've ever read on these boards. Period. In general there is a bias towards the top four teams in the league no doubt. As a Liverpool fan even the referee gave a silly call in our favour today that changed the game (Masherano falling over and getting a free kick),but nothing compares to the shocking pro Utd bias that greets them at every home game. That call from the referee today borders on cheating as far as i'm concerned.

SWAR wrote: »
    So let me get this right...because Carrick got the ball first and was on his way around Gomez, was Gomez not entitled to do his job and take the ball away from Carrick? Ok, he may have taken Carrick down but he certainly got the ball first the same as a tackle in the middle of the park...if a player takes the ball fairly (regardless of whether he touched it first or not) and takes the opposing player to ground in the process, well it's not a foul...def no penalty IMO of course.

Did Gomez get the ball? I must have missed that because every angle I saw showed Carrick knock the ball to the side and no one else.

Highsider wrote: »
    The worst post i've ever read on these boards. Period. In general there is a bias towards the top four teams in the league no doubt. As a Liverpool fan even the referee gave a silly call in our favour today that changed the game (Masherano falling over and getting a free kick),

Lulz :rolleyes:

You must not read too much then.

In fact, I would say this is far worse -
    but nothing compares to the shocking pro Utd bias that greets them at every home game. That call from the referee today borders on cheating as far as i'm concerned.

I'll loan you my tinfoil hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Dante

I even support united and I can admit it wasn't a penalty. Gomez clearly got a slight touch of the ball.

Des wrote: »
    Just before the penalty decision my gf asked me "why is there no video ref like in rugby".

She's right.

It still would have been a penalty though.

She is right...and quite frankly I'd rather her ref one of my games than you as she obviously seen something wrong with the decision to enquire about video ref's :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Gomes CLEARLY touched the ball and changed the direction of it!

United probaly still would have won the way they picked up but that was never a penalty!

• Advertisement

The worst post i've ever read on these boards. Period. In general there is a bias towards the top four teams in the league no doubt. As a Liverpool fan even the referee gave a silly call in our favour today that changed the game (Masherano falling over and getting a free kick),but nothing compares to the shocking pro Utd bias that greets them at every home game. That call from the referee today borders on cheating as far as i'm concerned.

Baffling

Admits that Liverpool were awarded a poor decison that resulted in a goal for them, but when it happens to Man Utd it's bias, and cheating etc

Infact not only is it baffling, it's laughable and deluded and bitter AND I love it.

Less said about this post the better tbh.

On topic: The fact that this thread even exists is testament to the great club that is Manchester United and the fans. We love this craic. :)

Did Gomez get the ball? I must have missed that because every angle I saw showed Carrick knock the ball to the side and no one else.

I'm afraid I can't help you here...If you've watched it from a few angles and still can't see it well then I don't know what to say to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

I'm sorry but that's bull ****. "Ruined your enjoyment"? Get real. That's football. Bad decisions occur. And United were still 2-1 down after the penalty. I suppose the next 4 goals were because of the penalty. :rolleyes:

Its irrelevant what the score was. A wrong decision is a wrong decision full stop and you shouldn't be making excuses for it regardless of what team you support.
    Roll your eyes as much as you want.

It did ruin my enjoyment. Man Utd were the better team overall today but they were seriously aided by an erroneous decision. Questions need to be asked about a) the quality of the referee or b) the integrity of the referee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Unearthly wrote: »
    Baffling

Admits that Liverpool were awarded a poor decison that resulted in a goal for them, but when it happens to Man Utd it's bias, and cheating etc

Infact not only is it baffling, it's laughable and deluded and bitter AND I love it.
    His point is that United get these decisions going their way almost every week at home.

I pointed out that Howard Webb did not give a penalty to Blackburn and did not give Ronaldo a second yellow card in a recent game at Old Trafford.

He also failed to give a penalty to Messi in that game against Bayern Munich when they were running riot in the first leg.

So basically he is one not to give penalties easily but when it comes to United at home he makes a shocking decision in their favour.

SWAR wrote: »
    I'm afraid I can't help you here...If you've watched it from a few angles and still can't see it well then I don't know what to say to you.

Can only call it how I saw. I'm not pro-United by any means.
    Its irrelevant what the score was. A wrong decision is a wrong decision full stop and you shouldn't be making excuses for it regardless of what team you support.
    Roll your eyes as much as you want.

It did ruin my enjoyment. Man Utd were the better team overall today but they were seriously aided by an erroneous decision. Questions need to be asked about a) the quality of the referee or b) the integrity of the referee.

Is that your way of questioning whether Webb is a cheat or not?

• Advertisement

Hopefully Premier Soccer Saturday have Jimmy Magee covering the game, he will set us all straight and know one can agrue with Jimmy!!!:)

Gomez quite clearly touched it, i cant understand how that touch could be missed tbh.:confused:

Sellotanta must have showed it about ten times!!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Gomes got the ball, but I wasn't completely sure until I saw the replay, not a good decision, but it's understandable

This thread = knee jerk tbh

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Ref's are human and do make mistakes. It's the poor OP I feel sorry for. The mistake in the United game ruined the match for him. I'm sure the one in the liverpool game ruined that one too and if he watched the United cup game the mistake in not giving Welbeck the peno must have ruined that game too. The OP must not get to enjoy many matches lately.

Can only call it how I saw. I'm not pro-United by any means.

Is that your way of questioning whether Webb is a cheat or not?

My gut opinion is just poor refing. I'd like to think nothing more sinister than that. We'll never really know though!

Gomes got the ball, but I wasn't completely sure until I saw the replay, not a good decision, but it's understandable

This thread = knee jerk tbh

Funny thing was Craig Burley was very careful before he saw the replay before he moaned about it for the rest of the match. He said he thought it was a peno originally, then when he saw the replay he felt it was outragous that Webb didn't call it right in real time.

It was the wrong decision, but a wrong decision that could easily of been made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

wow Xavi.

Anyway, the solution is a video match official like in Rugby, and challenge flags like in the NFL. This stuff can be improved upon because the technology is there; and it should be looked at because doubt over the veracity of results is something that no - one really wants to see.

eagle eye wrote: »
    His point is that United get these decisions going their way almost every week at home.

I pointed out that Howard Webb did not give a penalty to Blackburn and did not give Ronaldo a second yellow card in a recent game at Old Trafford.

He also failed to give a penalty to Messi in that game against Bayern Munich when they were running riot in the first leg.

So basically he is one not to give penalties easily but when it comes to United at home he makes a shocking decision in their favour.

His point and yours, is filled with bitterness that is clouding your judgement to see things how it is.

There are plenty of moments in the season that Man Utd didn't get a decision go their way, but this isn't highlighted as often in the end Man Utd won and it didn't affect the result that much.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Ref's are human and do make mistakes. It's the poor OP I feel sorry for. The mistake in the United game ruined the match for him. I'm sure the one in the liverpool game ruined that one too and if he watched the United cup game the mistake in not giving Welbeck the peno must have ruined that game too. The OP must not get to enjoy many matches lately.

I think the video refing option should be brought in for contentious decisions. I do enjoy rugby more than football at the moment for this very reason. Far more transparency in that code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

eagle eye wrote: »

It's not fair for you to single out just one ref :D

There was (and I can't find it anymore) a study at one of the big Unis in the UK about ten years ago, which found "87% of all contentious decisions made go in favour of Man U". And I bet a lot of them are not even on the field! But, hey, twenty years ago they would have been in favour of Liverpool. Doesn't make it right, though.

If you want football, you need to go to the lower leagues in England, or support an Irish club. What is on display in the English Premier League has sod all to do with football - it is politics and commercialism and WWE style "entertainment"

What is on display in the English Premier League has sod all to do with football - it is politics and commercialism and WWE style "entertainment"
    I am speechless. And you are deluded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I am speechless. And you are deluded.

Well, if you say so :rolleyes:

nipplenuts wrote: »
    What is on display in the English Premier League has sod all to do with football - it is politics and commercialism and WWE style "entertainment"

haha

There was another research done in an Uni 5 years ago in England(can't find it unfortunately) that came to the conclusion that all talk about refs being corrupt and biased to a certain club, is infact 100% bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Wow?! For real??

Lets forget about any fan allegiances, Liverpool, United, Spurs whatever...

And lets also forget about whether the decision changed the game or not...

It was DEFINITELY not a peno! I'm sure the United fans will agree even? I can't even see how its up for debate, there's a lot of peno decisions where its hard to say and can be debated either way, but this one? I cant see it, I just can't. Not even 1% doubt,

Lol George Hamilton just summed it up.

'Wonderful save by Gomes! Oh no, wait he's given a penalty?!'

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement