Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

okaly dokaly here goes.

Options
  • 25-04-2009 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭

Just starting out.... I'm an oldie :) and never ran in my life before.

I've got a 5k loop that I do and today I got it down to just under 35 mins :) I ran the first 11 which I only managed because I ran very slowwlllly and it helps that the last bit is a long downhill stretch. After that I walked 2 mins, ran 4, walked 4 and 2mins walk, 2 mins run to the end.

My aims for now are firstly to be able to run the whole 5k and to bring that time down as close to 30 mins as I can (or less who knows). I would absolutely love to do the half marathon in Connemara next year so I guess I can put that down as a long term goal.
    Current niggles include sore shins... even while I was running which was annoying and I've got a dodgy sacro-iliac joint but that's a long standing thing.

There you go...that's me started. Advice/ tips on buidling up stamina or reducing recovery time welcome. I'm needing 2 mins at the minute.
    What's the story with the 1000 mile thingy... can I estimate my mileage over the past few months (would be relatively easy) or do I have to start from now. Does it have to be running miles only or can i include the total distance including my recovery walks?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi littlebug best of look in the quest to reach your running goals. As far as the 1000 mile challenge is concerned go for it, you might find like I do that it helps with motivation.
    Anyway well done on getting out the door and running

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

well done littlebug,,:Di've been adding my mileage since jan and im only started jogging over 2 weeks ago,,tis a great boost to see yourself go up in the ranks.or down in my case:(lol,,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi littlebug, the Connemara half is a great goal to have. Best of luck with the running, and do sign-up for the 1,000. It really does help with the motivation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

This past week...

Tuesday: 2.5 mile trail (Cnoc Mea). Fairly steep uphill so just ran on the flat bits and downhill.

Thursday: meet'n' train... I didn't really count but probably about 16 laps altogether @ run 1/ walk one. 4 miles.

Friday: 1 mile on the treadmill (no walk)

Saturday: 2 miles road.. walked the steepest bits and ran the rest.

Sunday: rest.

Today: 3 miles on the treadmill of which I ran the first 2 without stopping :D , then 2 minute walking, 4 min run, 1 min walk and ran the rest to finish in 31.35. Very happy with myself. The main reason for the walks in the last miles was because my ears were popping like crazy and I was afraid my head would explode :o. next time I'll try just slowing down to a very slow jog.

I've also realised I forgot to include 2 Cnoc Mea sessions on my 1000 miles thing so overall i've 17.5 miles to add.

My weekly update.

Tuesday- .5 mile easy warmup jog followed by 3 miles on the treadmill with just one walking break somewhere in the middle- 30 mins 10 seconds.

Wednesday- 30 mins on the exercise bike

Saturday- 3 mile loop- 30 mins 25 secs. I stopped for 1 min at half way and another minute at 2.5 miles.

Sunday- dusted off my real bike and did a nice 6 easy mile cycle (39 mins). God I forgot how much I love cycling and how much easier than running it is!

Monday... I really wanted to go out and run my loop but children and logistics didn't allo for that so I made do with the treadmill and hoorah hoorah I finally did it... I ran 3 miles in 29 minutes 11 seconds with NO WALKING BREAKS

This weeks task is to repeat that achievement on the road and then I will start to increase the distance and try to up my speed a wee bit.

Total running miles this week. 9.5

• Advertisement

wow wow wow I did a 10k race and I am buzzing and soooo happy with myself. :D
    I dithered about going at all given a terrible nights sleep last night and a bit of a gippy tummy all day but I pushed myself out the door. My plan of action was to try to do the first 5k in 30 mins since I know I can run 5k. After the first 5k I was happy to walk/ run the rest but with a target of 70 minutes overall in mind.

Despite really struggling with the first 2k (and even having to walk for a minute in the middle) I did indeed manage the first 5k in 30 minutes 15 seconds (damned 15 seconds!) and linked up with another woman to run/ walk the rest (picking off the walkers was fun :p) We finished in 68.14. Hooray. I'm even proud of my one little blister.

Adding that to my 4 miles from Wednesday and 3 miles from Thursday should move me up a couple of notches on the 1000 miles thread.
    I am a happy little bug tonight.:)

ETA- I should explain the walkers thing... they did 4 miles on a slightly different loop which merged with the runners loop for about the last 2k. I just realised that my "picking off the walkers" comment wouldn't make sense without explanation!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great running littlebug! Well done! I don't think anyone sleeps well the night before a race, so don't let it put you off. Now you have a target to beat a few times, before the Connemarathon comes around. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭chatoon

Excellent running littlebug - very well done on the race - like KC says I don't think anyone sleeps well before a race; I never do...but I think in a way it's a good thing - it just means that you're really up for it, so never worry about that. Enjoy your post race celebrations and start planning your next race!

Very well done again...:D

I'm running backways this week :(
    Monday- just did one mile on the treadmill followed by a 12k cycle.
    Tuesday- cnoc mea- 2.5 mile hill- ran a bit more of the uphill bit than before- time 2 mins faster than last time.
    Thursday- meet'n'train- 4 laps slow warm up followed by 6 x 200m fast (for me) with 600 slow jog in between. . Total including warm up 4 miles
    Saturday- went out intending to my 12 min lecheile test but knocked that idea on the head when I realised there would be a strong wind right in my face for the first mile. So i just took it easy-ish but before I got to 2 miles my shins/ calves started really hurting so I stopped and walked the 2 miles home.

Sunday- treadmill- upped the pace a bit but after 2.6 m the ears were popping like mad so I stopped.... really peed off with my self for not just slowing down / walking for a minute or two and resuming.

Oh well.....

Despite the killer heat spending the first 2k sidestepping and weaving my way through the walkers I ran all 10k of the mini marathon :D (apart from a little break, 1-2 min maybe, at the water station). My plan was to run the first 6k and take a break and I was a bit disappointed when i reached the water station that I hadn't managed that. Then I saw the 7k marker:eek: and realised I'd run further than I thought, felt great and thought "feck it I'll keep going". Felt a bit wobbly at 8k, stopped but realised I felt even wobblier walking so I broke into a trot again and kept going to the end. I was slow but finished in 67m56 (my guess while awaiting chip time) but the best bit is I ran the whole bloody thing... probably because I had to go so slow at the start with all the bobbing and weaving. So now I know I can do the distance I can start to work on the time. :)

Total miles in the past week 16.2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

well done littlebug,,that was great

An easy week post MM.
    Thursday training- alternate 1 slow jog lap with 1 fast(er) lap. 4 miles in total.

Saturday: niggly pain in left leg and hip so decided to ease off for a few days.

Tuesday: leg felt good again so I finally did the lecheile retest and the training is obviously paying off as I think I've moved up a category :D There again I was running very slowly and took a walking break in the first one so I'd want to have improved by now.
    According to my calculations (which could be wrong) if I was able to maintain the pace I did in the 12 minutes I should be able to do 5k in 27.5 minutes which wouldn't be bad at all. Except I can't... yet :cool:

I kept going after the 12 minutes but much more slowly but started to feel the leg again so I stopped. I think it's more important to rest so i'll be ok for training on Thursday.

My next Big target is Streets of Galway 8k in August. There are a couple of other 8k races locally between now and then so I might also try one of those. I've identified a nice 8k route I might try out at an easy trot pace at the weekend to see how I get on.

Total miles this past week: 6

Thursday f4l 4miles (alternating fast 300m and slow 500) + cool down lap.

Saturday- decided to take a different and longer route- almost but not quite 8k. I took it easy as I was focusing on the distance rather than speed so the time included 3 mins of walking through the town which was busier than I thought it would be (must make it an hour ealier next time) and another 2 mins walking after 5k. 50.48 mins altogether. Man did my legs suffer for it that night though.. possibly because some of it was on pavement :confused:

Monday- treadmill. I tried to make it more interesting by doing 6 reps of .2miles@7.5mph followed by .3miles @6mph. The last 2 reps I only went to 7mph as I got a bit close to the end of the treadmill and for one of those I only lasted .1miles at the higher pace. Still overall 3miles in 27.55 which I was very happy with. .5mile warm up/ cool down either side of that.

Total miles to add 13.1 which moves me up 4 places on the 1000 miles challenge :)

Aim no2 from my first post on this thread achieved... ie I ran my 5k loop in 29.16. :)

Thursday training- 4 miles total

weekend.... lots of food and drink and fun :D followed by much suffering :(
    Had to really force myself onto the treadmill this evening. Struggled my way through 3miles. The heat was a killer and energy was low...but hey..it's a few extra miles in the leggies.

Thursday training. Easy- 3miles

Saturday- Ballyhaunis 8k. I was hoping to make it in 50 mins but then someone told me that 4k- 6k was all uphill :eek: and I let that plan go out of my mind. I was just on target at halfway but man that hill ! There was some walking and I put the boot down to the best of my ability from 6k on and made it in 51.14. Happy with that all hills considered. It gives me something to beat in Streets of Galway in August. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Good on ya littlebug, that's a good run to have under the belt!

treadmill 3miles slow.

I've got my first black (well purpleish) toenail. Does that mean I'm a real runner now?

Tuesday - 3 miles...noticed some of my bad habits ie slowing down going uphill and getting stuck in low gear:o , forgetting to speed up again on the other side!

Thursday- training 4 lap warm up, 5x fast 300m, 5 x slow 500m- 2lap warm down. total 4 miles

+7

ETA: not liking the look of 2 of my toenails at all :(

Friday 3 miles in 29.40+ walked the last mile home.

Monday Treadmill .
    0.5 mile warmup @ 10min mile followed by stretching.
    0.2m@8.34 min mile/ 0.3m@10 min mile (x6) except I bumped the speed up again on the last slow part as I felt I had a bit more in the tank.
    3 miles in 28.20
    2 min walk and back up to 10min mile to complete 0.5mile warm down.
    session total = 4 miles in 38.55

+8miles altogether.

• Advertisement

Tuesday: MY 3 mile loop reversed so i had to go up the big hill rather than down. 31.38
    Thursday: training- 4 lap warm up + 5x 200m fast/ 5x 600m jog.

Saturday lsr though the "s" is really the only valid part of that. "Nearly" 8k on a local race route so the ks were nicely marked out for me:D I think the actual race overlaps a bit at the end, thus my "nearly" 8k....no way was I running past my car! 51.50. I might head over there again later to cheer on the runners and see what a race looks like from the front!

Biggest news this week is that I am now officially within healthy BMI range again having now lost a grand total of 34 lbs :)

The toenails are hanging in there but getting blacker by the day... it's only a matter of time...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done littlebug you are doing really well. I had those black toe nails a few years back when I took up running for the first time. One just fell off and eventually grew back:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Bally8 wrote: »
    Well done littlebug you are doing really well. I had those black toe nails a few years back when I took up running for the first time. One just fell off and eventually grew back:eek:

Black is ok, it's the illuminous yellow / green stage you have to worry about :-)

asimonov wrote: »
    Black is ok, it's the illuminous yellow / green stage you have to worry about :-)

:eek: eww.. well that gives me something to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

littlebug wrote: »
    Saturday lsr though the "s" is really the only valid part of that. "Nearly" 8k on a local race route so the ks were nicely marked out for me:D I think the actual race overlaps a bit at the end, thus my "nearly" 8k....no way was I running past my car! 51.50. I might head over there again later to cheer on the runners and see what a race looks like from the front!

Biggest news this week is that I am now officially within healthy BMI range again having now lost a grand total of 34 lbs :)

Congrats on the weight loss! :) It's a great feeling to be back in healthy BMI range after working hard to shed the pounds.

Sub-50 in the Streets of Galway ;)

Sub-50 in the Streets of Galway ;)

That's the plan Rainbow ;) of course you'll be there yourself because by then you won't be able to drag yourself away from your beloved Galway at weekends :P

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Beloved? Galway? Surely you jest. :pac:

I don't usually update every day but this will move me up a place in the 1000 mile thread :o
    I wondered about the wisdom of going for a run yesterday given that I'd had a huge 4 course meal earlier but decided to go for it. The plan was to run the first 3 miles then see how I felt after that. 3 miles got me to the bottom of the big hill so I started to walk up it-after 2 mins I was feeling great and thought "feck it I'll run the rest" so I did and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.. continued running to my 4 miles mark. 41.07.

I also realised that I've run over 19 miles in the past week. Given that my weekly total has been averaging somewhere between 11-14 I should probably have a rest day today :o
    Kids at summer camp for the week... glorious morning silence....

Tuesday: I went all out and ran my 3 miles in 28.51 :D. I'm feeling reasonably confident about the Boston Scientific 5k next week. Only reasonably because it's described as undulating. My route is undulating but the downhills are long enough to be able to gain a bit of momentum back. Lots of short steep hills may not go in my favour :o I'm really looking forward to SoG now and there's a voice in my head that keeps whispering "Galway Bay half marathon 3rd October". Does anyone know how to make the crazy race voices go away :confused::D

• Advertisement

Wednesday. treadmill- 2 horrible miles til the heat and the hunger got the better of me.

Thursday- 4 miles - just took it handy not worrying about time. I wanted to conserve energy for the hill in the fourth mile so I wouldn't need to walk. I ran up the hill which was...easy :confused: and strange as it feels to say this the 4 miles in 41.42 actually felt...well... comfortable for the first time :)

Advertisement