Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

okaly dokaly here goes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Damn right :)

And once you can run 10, it's not too much of a step to running a half-marathon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

treadmill-
    .5 mile warmup @ 10 min mile
    3 miles @ 8 min miles (24.03 mins):)
    .5 mile@10min mile

if I could replicate that on the road and get a sub 25 5k I would be very very happy ...
    Mrbug going to the US for a week next month has bought me some leverage and race passes. Loughrea 5mile next sunday is looking like a possibility. It would be nice to beat my SoG time...hmmmm..

littlebug wrote: »
    Loughrea 5mile next sunday is looking like a possibility. It would be nice to beat my SoG time...hmmmm..

<devil voice>
    Do it! :D:pac:

Loughrea 5mile.

godammit:( about 35 secs slower than Galway 8k and for some reason I found it about 10 times harder. I hit halfway at 22 mins and then i bombed. I think I did the last mile in about 9.40:o

possible reasons:
    1. headwind in parts particularly in the second half which really got to me.
    2. I've decreased running from 3-4 times per week to 2-3 times per week due to various niggly pains . I can probably add return to work and general busy-ness into the reasons for the decrease.
    3. I've been eating crAp for the last few weeks and have probably put back on a couple of lbs.... gotta sort that one out.
    4. combination of all of the above.

Overall the race was very well organised. Registration in the hotel well organised and friendly. Great to have use of the hotel facilities. The kids race (1 mile) was amazing to see and made me sorry I hadn't brought mine. 500 odd kids from 3-15 running with the leaders doing 6.** min miles:eek:. The little girl who came second (just on the shoulder of the lad who was 1st) has a great running career ahead of her I'd say. She wasn't much over 4 ft and maybe 12ish. Very impressive!
    Goody bad- proper drawstring bag with 2 health and lifestyle mags, 2 apples, a mars bar and a bottle of 7up. Good marshalling along the route and great encouragement from the onlookers. I think there were refreshments in the hotel after but I had to leave. Overall a great race but a pity I didn't do better. :)

Onwards and upwards! Even if it's not a PB, it'll still have made you mentally stronger. Also, you'll see now a few areas where you know you can improve.

Think of the positives :)

• Advertisement

:D:D according to the official results I finished about 25 seconds faster than I thought I had (I don't know how :confused: unless the finish line was much further back than I thought). So that makes me only 10 seconds slower than SoG. Technically speaking 5 miles is longer than 8k and in fact I was 5 seconds faster than my mcmillan predicted time (based on galway time) so really.....it is a pb :D:D

Tuesday: slow but enjoyable 3 miles. Stopped a few times to stretch out niggly hamstring.

Thursay: Niggly hamstring and common sense told me not to go to training and try the treadmill instead. After 1.2 miles niggly hamstring became very sore hamstring. :( There goes my planned 10 miler at the weekend.

Hopefully a few days rest will sort it out.

A week on and no better. Physio this morning and the official diagnosis is a strained hamstring and hamstring tendon. No running for at least another week :( I've another appt on Monday and some good stretches to do. I'm ok for cycling... I did half an hour on the exercise bike last night (yawn). If OH is home early enough this evening I'll go out on the real bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Sorry to hear about the injury littlebug. Its so frustrating being out isnt it. Best of luck with the recovery.

Thanks Bally8 it is frustrating but at least I'm not training for anything specific just now so can afford the time out as long as I don't lapse into bad habits and lose fitness. I weighed myself this morning convinced I had put weight on but thankfully I haven't... I'm just probably feeling a bit sluggish after a week of inactivity. I'm actually :) quite looking forward to getting out of the bike now.

• Advertisement

Saturday

8 mile cycle.. ,lovely :) and I was surprised at how easy it felt. I think the new year will being a new road bike as I'd really like to get back into cycling with the aim of something like Achill Roar (lite) next year.

Wednesday- decided to attempt a run. There's a (just over) half mile section of road near me that is lit and has a footpath so I went for my first afterdark road run of 3x out and back which meant I wouldn't have far to go home if I went bellyup. Slooow 3.24 miles. little knee niggles after 2.5 but stretching and running even slower running and I was ok. grand today too. Training tonight but I won't push it. Physio tomorrow and hopefully I'm back on track.

is is wrong that I feel jealous when I read other people's training logs.

Thursday. training 4 miles... kept it slow and felt ok with minimal hamstring pain.

Saturday. attempted a 3 mile slow run. felt a strain in hamstring so stopped at 2 miles and walked the last mile home :( Now I've tailbone pain to add to the mix (ya ya it's a pain is the a$$:p. Physio on friday and she wants to bring my runners in. hopefully we'll get some insight into wtf is going on. My OH has passed me mile wise on his long runs. At this rate he'll be running connemara without me :(

Regretting running at all last week as I think I've just delayed recovery. Now... to go to training tonight or not? I could go and just walk but I can still feel a bit of pain even walking and of course when I'm there I'll be tempted to run. I think the sensible option would be to stay home and do some bike work.
    5k fun run on Sunday... now if only I was recovered and could run 26.40 I would pass RK in the league table :D and get out of the relegation zone (not that I'm competitive :p much). I don't think I'll be ready for it though... I'll may just walk it with the kids instead and then focus on being 10k fit and ready to blow my pb to bits in Athenry in Dec.

now if only I was recovered and could run 26.40 I would pass RK in the league table :D
    Instant motivation! :pac:;)

Good luck, wouldn't mind taking a crack at my 5k PB sometime in the next few months too, 26.22 looks very beatable.

Instant motivation! :pac:;)

lol I know! Like your sub 4.30 marathon would mean nothing in comparison to my 26.40 5k :p

I don't think it's gonna happen on sunday though. MrBug might run his first race instead so I'll either walk it with he kids or hang out on the sidelines to cheer him on. I've never seen the front end of a race before.... i usually hear the cheer for the winner when I'm about halfway round so that might be interesting.

Bah... no running for another fortnight :( and no excessive walking for another week. I'm still good for cycling thankfully.

The problem appears to be the popliteal tendon at the back of the knee and the hamstring tendon and ITB to a lesser extent. She thinks the root cause is overpronation but thats all for further exploration next week.
    I've been gait analysed and have good runners for overpronation... so... who knows. ho hum....

The problem appears to be the popliteal tendon at the back of the knee and the hamstring tendon and ITB to a lesser extent. She thinks the root cause is overpronation but thats all for further exploration next week.

Sounds fairly similar to what happened to me at the end of July actually - and the root cause was exactly the same, I'm quite a heavy overpronator. I was prescribed a small heel wedge and strengthening exercises, thankfully I haven't had a recurrence since then but we'll see after Monday... Hope everything goes ok for you!

Thanks RK.. that's heartening to know since you've been back with no recurrence since. I'm going back to read your log now! She did mention a insert but we're waiting til it calms down a bit and she can see me run to decide what the best course of action it.
    Best of luck on Monday. I'll be out for the day but itching to get home to read all the results and reports!

Just updating as a pyschological thing..... hopefully it'll become an actual training log again in another week or so.
    Physio again today... much better in terms of mobility but not "there" yet. One more week of rest and stretching and next week she's going to watch me on the treadmill to see what's going on.
    I'm going to ease back into it then and start off with just track and treadmill runs. I'll avoid the road and hills for another few weeks. the rest of the year will be spent on regaining lost fitness and building up miles and stamina again with athenry 10k as my target. I won't go over that distance in training. If all goes well and I have no more injuries then I'll start a half mar training plan in the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hey littlebug, hope you are keeping your spirits up. I also had an ITB injury last year that kept me out for 4 months. I was reduced to walking mostly then slowly built back up the running. It was very frustrating but I believe it made me stronger and more determined. You will be back fighting soon enough:)

• Advertisement

God I am absolutely itching to run :D I haven't felt even the slightest twinge since last friday but the physio said on thursday to wait it out another week "if you can" so she can look at me run on the treadmill and see about inserts etc before I do anymore damage so I guess i should wait it out.
    Halloween and trick or treating hasn't done me any favours with all the crAp that's in the house :o
    I'm trying to keep my mind off thinking about running by reading about running and doing up my 10k training plan :p

I'm trying to keep my mind off thinking about running by reading about running and doing up my 10k training plan :p
    Addicted, like the rest of us! :D

well hooray I'm back in action (cautiously) :)
    2.6 miles on the treadmill. Stopped and did lots of stretching after mile one. intended finishing 3 miles but the knee started to niggle at 2.5 so I sensibly stopped and did some more stretching instead. I'm in Galway tomorrow so I might take my gear in and take a little jaunt up round dangan.
    There are too many bloomin' races on just now to taunt me. If the weather is nice on Sunday i might hop over to Hollymount with the kids and the camera.

There are too many bloomin' races on just now to taunt me.
    Hehe, know that feeling! I'm already pissed off enough that I have an important exam on the same day as the Aware 10k!

Probably best to be sensible now with the knee too and avoid further issues later on.

Hehe, know that feeling! I'm already pissed off enough that I have an important exam on the same day as the Aware 10k!

Probably best to be sensible now with the knee too and avoid further issues later on.

bummer! Yeah I know (sigh). I won't do any races until Athenry and then aim to knock at least 10 minutes off my 10k pb which shouldn't be too difficult unless there are turkey complications :D

a nice little trot in dangan. I intended having a look to see was the track open but couldn't figure out how to get to it :confused: Took a detour around the park'n'stride instead. Running felt good and no niggles. Just short of 30 mins... don't know the distance... at a guess probably short of 3 miles.
    good to be back :)

First night back on the track.... cold/ wet slow and difficult 4 miles. I was surprised to be able to do it at all without walking given all my time out and a few sick days this week.
    The 10k plan starts NOW!

:rolleyes::rolleyes: ok when I said now I meant now as in 3 days later.....

Today: treadmill 1 mile warmup @ 10min mil followed by intervals i.e. 1.5 mins @ 8.34 mpm pace + up to half mile @ 10mpm pace (x5) plus .5 cool down.
    Total 4 miles. felt good but there was a major OWWWW :eek: moment in the shower afterwards due to a dodgy seam on my new shorts which will now be consigned to the non running clothes pile drawer.
    Everything will be treadmill based this week so I'll work on building up some speed again there sans elements.

Week Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
    1 3 easy 30 min tempo cross 5x200 5k pace rest cross 4 mile run
    2 4 easy 5x300 5k pace cross Track rest cross 5 mile run
    3 4 easy 35 min tempo cross Track rest cross 5 mile run
    4 4 easy 5x400 5k pace cross Track rest cross 6 mile run
    5 3 easy 40 min tempo cross Track rest cross 6 mile run
    6 4 easy 5x300 5k pace 3miles rest rest 10k race

the 6 week plan! there will probably be tweaks here and there but the aim is to run 4 x per week with cross training on 2 days and one rest day with a mixture of easy, tempo and interval runs. On track night I'll just do whatever everyone else is doing. I'm fairly restricted to the treadmill atm so will just do what I can with that. My version of the tempo run tonight was 5-7 mins @ 6mph... gradually worked up to 7.4 (ie .1 every 30 seconds) stayed at 7.4 for 3 mins then gradually worked my way back down. I don't know if that really is a tempo run? Closer to race day I'll add some race pace sessions into some of the runs.... i think. I haven't had a plan proper before so I'm open to suggestion. I won't up the milage on long runs until after xmas when I'll start building up again towards half mar.

• Advertisement

Week Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
    1 3 easy 30 min tempo cross INT 5x.2m (7.4mph) rest cross 4 m + 1 warmup/ down
    2 4 easy 5x300 5k pace cross Track rest cross 5m
    3 4 easy 35 min tempo cross Track rest cross 5 m
    4 4 easy 5x400 5k pace cross Track rest cross 6m
    5 3 easy 40 min tempo cross Track rest cross 6 m
    6 4 easy 5x300 5k pace 3miles rest rest 10k race

week 1 complete. Cross training at the minute = 30 min exercise bike plus some core work. I was limited to the treadmill this week which only measures in miles... the sums got too hard so I just did my intervals as .2mile@ 7.4/ 7.5mph with .3 @ 6mph in between. I found it really hard :( and nearly got sick afterwards. Both Thursday and sat sessions also included extra mile warmup/ cooldown. total miles for the week 15.

Advertisement