Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

okaly dokaly here goes.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Week Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
    1 3 easy 30 min tempo cross INT 5x.2m (7.4mph) rest cross 4 m + 1 warmup/ down
    2 4 easy intervals 5m 3x 1m@7.4+wu/cd rest 7m
    3 4 easy 35 min tempo cross Track rest cross 5 m
    4 4 easy 5x400 5k pace cross Track rest cross 6m
    5 3 easy 40 min tempo cross Track rest cross 6 m
    6 4 easy 5x300 5k pace 3miles rest rest 10k race

week 2 complete. With sick kids this week I was lucky to get to run at all and cross training was non existant. Still on the treadmill given the circumstances and the roads...7 miles on the treadmill today ( yawn) . I've upped the milage a bit from the plan because I want to reach 500 miles by the end of the year :o

3 4 easy 4.5 tempo Track intervals (400s) 5m rest 7 m@6.2mph
    4 4 easy 5x400 5k pace cross Track rest cross 6m

week 3 complete. A good running week with a total of 20.5 miles. The whole cross training thing hasn't really taken off though :o

4 5 (3@7.4) Track (4.25) 4 easy 8m

Week 4 complete. Total miles 21.25. I was pleased with Wednesdays session and surprised I could keep up that pace for 3 miles. The fact that I did 3 miles on the track the next night 4 whole minutes slower means I'm not lulled into a false sense of security :rolleyes: I am concerned that I have done no road running at all lately but it's just the way things are at the mo'. I'll try to get out at least a couple of times before race day ... if only to get used to the cold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

littlebug wrote: »

That's fantastic structure on your training littlebug, You've come a long way since the start of the log despite the injury and real life getting in the way - keep it going now.

asimonov wrote: »

That's fantastic structure on your training littlebug, You've come a long way since the start of the log despite the injury and real life getting in the way - keep it going now.

Thanks asiminov.
    I'm nearly finished week 5 now. You know I think the structure and mixing up different types of runs has really kept me going. I haven't stuck exactly to the plan and cross training didn't really happen. I've also found that I'm pooped the day after the longer runs so need a rest day then. I don't know if I'm doing it "right" e.g. the tempo and pace runs but overall it's worked well and I've done all the planned runs so far with a little extra mileage (to get me to the 500) Given that I had a sick child for 3 weeks, husband abroad for a while and some pretty tight work deadlines (ie working into the wee hours due to looking after sick child by day etc)... I think I've done ok! Without the treadmill it wouldn't have happened but I've no idea how it'll all translate on race day!
    I think I'll use the same sort of structure after xmas with Craughwell 10 mile as the next target in the build up to Connemara and hopefully get out on the road a bit!

• Advertisement

5 5.2 tempo cross Track (4) rest 5 7 m

Week 5 complete. Total miles 21.2. A busy week with Sat and Sundays runs being done after a million miles (slight exaggeration) of shopping/walking so slow and easy was the order of the day. 3 more runs til the day before race day :) Santa is all organised and I actually managed to remember to order the turkey this year:rolleyes:. mmmm christmas dinner...mmmm hungry now.

Hey littlebug, is this your first 10k? Do you have a time target?

asimonov wrote: »
    Hey littlebug, is this your first 10k? Do you have a time target?

Hi Asimonov,

I did the mini marathon back in June in 1:07:59 when i wasn't too long running so I think I'm good for a pb now ;) I did streets of Galway 8k and Loughrea 5mile both in 45 and a half-ish so I "should" be good for getting fairly close to 55....BUT I was doing more road running back then and with it being the day after Christmas who knows what will happen! The closer to 55 the happier I'll be.

Those 8k / 5 mile times are good. The road running earlier in the year will have given you a good base and the
    intervals etc will really help your speed, so 55 should be within range. Well
    done on remembering the Turkey, it's the small details that make christmas's run smoothly :-)

5 5.2 tempo cross Track (4) rest 5 7 m
    6 intervals (5m) 5 slow rest rest No race 8m

well with both athenry and plan B westport 5k tomorrow both cancelled there'll be no pb this week.:( Just as well though as getting as far as the car without slipping is difficult.
    So... the last entry in my table.
    1mile warmup then 6 mile run with the first at 6.2mph and the remaining 5 at 6.9 mph. 6 miles in 53.19. Happy with that. 1 mile wobbly walk/ trot cooldown.
    Hopefully Athenry will still be there for the taking next week. Just 7 miles to add this week to bring me to 500 for the year... I also jumped a couple of places with todays 8 miles added .:)

• Advertisement

Monday. 5 slow miles.
    Wednesday... 3 miles tempo (?) 1 slow, 1 @7.5mph then gradually down to 6mph over the third.

I've a loose plan to run with a friend tomorrow but given the weather I didn't want to count on it.. thus the tready run today bringing me over the 500 mile mark.:)
    I'm not altogether convinced that athenry will go ahead this Sunday either.

Last run of the year was a lovely 3m trail run. It was also the first outing for my new garmin. What a gadget :) though it took ages to pick up the satellite signal so I'd already run maybe a mile-ish. Still it's nice to obsess mull over the data. With all the stops to walk around icy bits, figure out which way to go, step over fallen trees, trying not to slip on wet leaves etc the average pace was 10.30 min miles but a fair amount of it was under 9min and the fastest bit a nice 6.45 (ya downhill and probably only for 2 seconds!). Still not convinced that Athenry will go ahead but it's nice to end the year with a "real" run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

What a gadget :) though it took ages to pick up the satellite signal so I'd already run maybe a mile-ish.

You usually have to stand still for a minute or so after you turn it on to pick up the signal. I leave it on the window sill while I put on my shoes and usually its ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

The garmin data obsession is a slippery slope. Welcome to it :D

gerard65 wrote: »
    You usually have to stand still for a minute or so after you turn it on to pick up the signal. I leave it on the window sill while I put on my shoes and usually its ready to go.

I turned it on as soon as we got out of the car and walked to the edge of the trail and stood for a few mins but no go. I could tell that my running buddy was getting itchy feet so I decided to just leave it searching and run. I kept checking for the first 5 mins but no go and I assumed it was because we were in a forest but funny enough it clicked in 5 mins later and stayed connected.... so I don't know :confused: I'll just consider it a blip/ forestation/ cloud cover or something and hope for a better connection next time.

The garmin data obsession is a slippery slope. Welcome to it :D

When I start spending more time analysing the data than actually running I'll know it's time for Garmin rehab :D

Dammit :( all carbed up and nowhere to run. Athenry cancelled again (and rightly so given the conditions). I might attempt another trail run tomorrow if the roads are ok enough to get there.
    Friday- 4 slow treadmill miles.

A slow slow sometimes slippy, sometimes mucky but mostly crunchy 7.2 miles on the Cong-Clonbur trail. The garmin worked quickly this time but the battery died at about 6 miles. Lovely run.... I think the whole trail (out and back) is over 8 miles but I wasn't sure today so I turned at just over 3 and a half. The garmin map is full of stops and starts where I was climbing over fallen trees, opening gate, wondering which way to turn, taking a wrong turn then realising and stopping looking round for a minute trying to figure out which way to go... all good fun :D I was back at the car in about 1.15.
    I'm not sure that I'll make the rescheduled Athenry date so my 10k pb may have to stick for a while. There are a few other options ...e.g Tuam 8k 17th Jan, Athenry 5k 31st Jan. Weather and family permitting I'll have a new pb at some distance this month!

Tuesday. treadmill- 4 mile tempo.

Wednesday- treadmill 1 mile slow warmup then after a .2 mile start of attempt at an interval session I had to jump ship due to left ankle and shin pain. More of an achy kind of pain than a sharp injury pain - hopefully a few days rest will sort it. Hips, knees and now ankles... sure what can I expect at my age :rolleyes:
    Judging by the forecasts I wouldn't hold out for any races this month at all and if I'm doing my sums right I should be starting a 12 week half marathon prog on 17th Jan so it's no harm to ease up for a few days now. 16.2m done this week so far.

4 slow on the treadmill. After a warmup mile I decided the ankle would hold up and after lots of stretching did another 3. The ankle wasn't perfect.... kind of eh... crunchy... but actually after the run and lots more stretching and strange ankle wiggling it felt better.
    I'm hoping to get back on the trail tomorrow if family/road conditions permit.

• Advertisement

Sunday didn't work out so good so it was 6 on the treadmill that night.
    Mon/ tues I was just knackered:( This evening I bit the bullet with the thaw and got out on the road for the first time in lord only knows how long. There's a half mile stretch of pavement which is lit so I went for it and ran back and forward and back and forward..... Still some joint niggles but not too bad. It was a slow run though somehow it didn't feel so slow (slowing to turn at every half mile didn't help). 4.06 miles, ave pace 10.18. I wore the HRM for the first time, It wasn't the most comfortable and pinched a bit... a bit of trial and error required. Anyway...ave heart rate 167- I have no idea what that means but I suppose it's...eh... interesting :confused:

Anyway...ave heart rate 167- I have no idea what that means but I suppose it's...eh... interesting :confused:

quoting myself...:rolleyes:

A quick google tells me that 167 is quite high (for my age) and for not really feeling like I was pushing the boat out or anything. I'll put it down to it being my first night back on the road but may be worth keeping an eye on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

A quick google tells me that 167 is quite high (for my age) and for not really feeling like I was pushing the boat out or anything. I'll put it down to it being my first night back on the road but may be worth keeping an eye on?

Hey Littlebug. No two people are the same when it comes to HR, What's high for one is not for another. It really all depends on what your max (and to a lesser degree your resting) HR is. Some people have a max HR of over 200 so to them 167 is comfortable enough. I have a max around 185 so 167 would be highish for me (though I can manage av hr of mid to high 170's in 5-10k race). Alot of the Hr stuff is trial and error, but if you wear your strap you will soon realise yourself what is a comfortable HR for you and what is pushing it too far.

Thanks Menoscemo, yeah I've given the heart rate threads little more than a passing glance but I know that 220-age isn't the gold standard. That would put my max at 180 and my max in this run was 179! So I'm guessing I must just have a higher max. Now I can't for the life of me figure out if that's a good or bad thing:o:p or neither!

I'm off to find the heart rate threads! How did you work out your max?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Hi littlebug,
    Mine should be 182 using the simple age calculation but I tried a test - warming up, hard as you can run for 3 minutes, 2 min recovery and hard as you can run for 3 minutes - you should get your max HR on the second run.
    I only got it up to 170 though which didn't seem good.
    I was on the turbo trainer at the weekend and got it up to 176.

So in short, I have no clue.

showry wrote: »
    So in short, I have no clue.

:D
    Thanks Showry. I'll try to get to a track over the weekend and try that out.

If it all gets too confusing I'll just stop wearing the damn thing :D

A frustrating evening.

I gained an unexpected free running pass when my OH missed his flight :D and with the choice of a drive and fit4life or pavement again I decided to go with the option that would be easier on the joints. Got there and it wasn't on so i just went for a run by myself. I was aiming for 3 miles but after 5 minutes the garmin would only show the heart rate so I couldn't tell how far/ fast I was going (yeah and heart rate up in the 170s- great:(). After a while I had pavement but no lights but kept going as far as I knew the pavement went then turned back. I picked up the pace a fair bit on the home stretch...Back to the car park to see " TIP= if you want to see other details/ time just tap the bezel" ugh now it tells me! SO I saw I'd only run 2.24 miles- ugh. So I did another slow trot just around the block to bring it up to 3 ( I think- didn't press the button for the first couple of minutes :rolleyes:).
    Anyway for the first 2.24 miles ave pace was 9.48, ave HR 168 :( There's also a massive heart rate spike (198) in my second little jaunt but the garmin was playing up a bit then re GPS connection so I'll put it down to that.

Doing a bit of reading around the whole heart rate thing I think I will keep an eye on it. I'll see if I can get into Dangan track at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hi little bug. I have my garmin on autoscroll (menu-training-options-Autoscroll) if you turn this on it will automatically scroll from the pace/distance/time screen to the HR screen every 5 or 6 seconds (you can choose how quickly it scrolls too). This way you can lock the bezel and not worry about hitting it as all the info you want comes up every few seconds. Also by the sounds of it your max HR is very high (although the 198 reading is probably a blip). I have read that a good way to get max HR is to find a good hill (maybe 150-200m) sprint up it and jog back down, then sprint up again and repeat until you can't anymore. At some point you will reach max HR. To be honest though, I tried these tests ended up giving up before reaching max HR. I always get my highest HR readings in races. If you run a 5k (or similar) race flat out you should get your highest reading (especially if there is a big hill near the end).

Thanks Meno, I know just the hill ;)
    I'll try one or other of those methods over the weekend. I've also a couple of races coming up in the next few weeks so it'll be interesting to see what happens then.
    I could just have a high max heart rate which (from my limited reading) is ok as long as your resting heart rate is ok. On a rough calculation this morning my resting hr was about 70bpm which is ok I think.

Time will tell and I'll try not to obsess over it (damned gadget :rolleyes:)

• Advertisement

Blah blah blah waffle waffle waffle HR blah blah

+4.4 miles which I won't even consider adding to the 1000 mile challenge til a quiet time in the morning :p

ETA... gosh don't I waffle on :rolleyes:

Content of post deleted due to excessive waffling and some drama queenishness :rolleyes:

Advertisement