Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

okaly dokaly here goes.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hey don't worry about it. When I first got my HRM thingy I got a little obsessed too. I was training for marathon and was doing all runs including LSR's at 165 (about 90% max for me too). After worrying/studying I thought that a ood LSR HR for me was 145-150. i tried to do this over 10 miles and found myself almost walking on occasion :o My av pace was around 10:30/min.
    Anyway long story short- run more and your HR will come down at the same pace. After a few months I was easlily able to run 8:15-8:30 min/miles at 150 HR.
    Don't obsess about it, but you will easily be able to measure improvement in terms of having a lower HR at a certain pace. i.e. keep your runs 'easy' and you will notice your average HR dropping with time as you improve. You will always be able to produce more than you think in a race situation!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

littlebug wrote: »
    Mostly I’m disappointed.... from 45 min 8k last summer I thought I’d be good for 55 min 10k now but I don’t think that’ll happen :(
    I reckon you'll be surprised by how well you do. Leave the HRM at home and just run to the best of your ability - and enjoy yourself!

Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

thank and lol I'm embarrassed about my obsessing and waffling now :o
    So maybe I won't drop dead if I just keep running then...:D
    Maybe a slooooww 6 tomorrow and just go for it and forget the hr next week . Memo that's exactly what I was thinking... I'll have to walk to keep the hr down that low!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Hey Littlebug you doing Tuam tomorrow, I will be keeping an eye out for someone frantically looking at her watch every few seconds. I wouldnt worry about it too much, I seem to be the same on a lot of my runs, heart rate sky high yet I feel fairly comfortable at the time.

Think about what your heart rate was like last year, count your blessings you werent any wiser as no doubt it has come down since then

catweazle wrote: »
    Hey Littlebug you doing Tuam tomorrow, I will be keeping an eye out for someone frantically looking at her watch every few seconds.

lol :o I'm giving Tuam a miss and doing Athenry next week. If Mr Bug wants rid of us I might hop over there with the kids and the camera so be sure to :D
    Best of luck. If you can describe Mrs Catweazle to me I'll be sure to trip her up* cheer her on for you :p

* in case anyone is wondering this is in reference to CW's race against Mrs CW as opposed to me actually wanting to trip Mrs C up.

• Advertisement

She will be the one stylishly dressed with a tubby balding (I like to think receding) guy beside her trying to keep up.

+6.2

6 in 59.40 :) and .2 cooldown wobble. My new target for the 10k next week is just to beat that by as much as I can. Garmin aint doing it's upload thing for some reason so I don't know the details.

average pace 9.57
    Average HR 177 (last 20 mins over 180 with much of the last 15 over 185- that's the only time I really felt the push... a steep uphill followed by effort trying to finish 6 miles within the hour.)

Well I confirm that for me to train in the energy efficient or recovery zone (60-70%) I do indeed need to be walking :D. Because I've pushed my poor pump to max and near max twice in as many days I decided to go for a good old fashioned walk. I had no work this morning so I enlisted a fast walking friend to keep the pace up and the conversation good. With a good brisk pace and a few hills for the most part the HR was still in the 60-70% zone.
    Was it Gerard65 who said that a recovery walk is as good as a recovery run? I think I'll keep one of these in the plan every week... as well as rather than instead of the other runs.
    Tomorrow I'll see if I can stick to a 70-80% zone for 3-4 miles and not worry about the pace/ time at all... just to get an idea of the required pace for that zone. Maybe a short easy hill walk/ run on Wednesday if I can. Thursday is generally interval training and then I'll take it easy til the race on Saturday.

After that I need to start into proper HM training and build in some proper hill work. Cnocmea here I come.

4.2 slow slow miles (ave pace 11.11) again testing at what pace I'm in the aerobic zone. Ave HR 163 which is better than before but still quite high.
    It still doesn't make much sense that I can maintain 90+ % for an hour at under 10 min miles without keeling over but not be able to find a good aerobic pace.
    However since I haven't keeled over I'll keep going but run my slower runs slower and hope that with more outside running things will improve.

Fields of Athenry 10k

57.50 (ish), ave pace 5.48/k (9.20/m), ave HR 187 :eek:

Oh thank God that's over :o
    Like a fool I did the first 2 k at 5.30. I knew that wasn't sustainable so why I attempted to keep it up I do not know. I guess I just got drawn along with the crowd. Lesson learned. From there on I got progressively slower with the next 5 k varying from 5.40- 5.56. I bombed for 8 and 9 and just couldn't keep them under 6 so just tipped a couple of seconds over. A bit of extra push brought the last one in at 5.22.

Anyway though I am a little disappointed at not getting closer to 55 I've known for a couple of weeks that wasn't going to happen so all in all I am happy to have a new 10k pb (by 10 mins:)) so at least I'm going in the right direction.
    57.50 is watch time and like a fool (again- there's a theme here) I stopped at the first mat :o so chip time will be more but hopefully still under 58.

Heart rate.... bleugh.... can't be healthy to run at 98% for nearly an hour... maybe I'll get a new hrm:rolleyes:

Overall a great race, well organised, nice hat, friendly crowd and nice having my name called at the finish line :) Oh and good coffee and buns after.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭TheLargerBowl

Well done :) Next time you'll be sub-55!

Well done Littlebug, 10 minutes better than your previous pb is great going. I wouldnt worry about hoping to go quicker, thats a good sign which should keep you coming back again trying harder.

I had hoped to go and watch mrs c in it but a late night friday kept her out of the running

Thanks RK and Catweazle.

Hopefully with being back on the road again now I'll keep improving. Timetables permitting I might do the westport 5k in 2 weeks time and then focus on building up the miles for the craughwell 10m and the hills for connemara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done littlebug, great time:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Nice new PB Littlebug. 10 minutes off any PB (unless its Usain Bolt's :)) is a great result. Don't beat yourself up about your race tactics, just learn for the next time. We've all been carried away by the crowd at sometime. A nice time for your 5K in prospect.

Keep up the good work. You're an inspiration (and a target:eek:) for some of us...

(and a target:eek:) for some of us...

:eek: meathcountysec throws down the gauntlet...

Why don't you start your own training log mcs. That way I can keep a closer eye on your mileage and won't let you sneak past me at the last minute like last year you can set out all your goals and training and benefit from the advice of the good folk on here ;)

work eases up from now until April which although means less money :(I have some extra time some mornings. (Does that make me a coffee morning lady now? ;)) so I'll put it to good use to get myself up to speed and fitness for Connemara.
    Monday- recovery- v slow 2 miles- didn't even bother with the watch.

Tuesday- even as I got into the car I hadn't decided where I was going - left for Cnoc Mea or right for cong. I decided it was time to HTFU and headed for Cnocmea. I haven't run there (or any hills of note really) since last september and boy did it show. I did walk a bit on the steepest parts but still managed to finish faster than last time I did it (30.10/ 2.4m).

Ave pace: 12.34 which I'm happy with considering the climb and some walking and there was also a stretch stop and shoelace stop in there.

Ave HR: 165 which i'm very happy with. For the most part it didn't rise much over the low 170s. Could it be I'm actually getting fitter:rolleyes:?

Elevation gain: 148 metres.

Next week I'll aim to run more of it and eventually do the top loop twice in my weekly excursion over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Cnoc Mea...I can see that from my house. Have never ran it though. :(

Foxx92 wrote: »
    Cnoc Mea...I can see that from my house. Have never ran it though. :(
    so can I :) you should try it. It's a good testing hill. Bear in mind that my 30 minutes is probably your 15 minutes:o. Some people repeat the upper loop which is about 1.8 miles. The whole thing- car park to car park 2 is about 2.4.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Will prob give it a go over the midterm. Cheers for the measurements!

• Advertisement

2 much needed days off.
    Today 4 miles on the Cong trail. Lovely run... didn't see another soul. 40.57. Ave pace 10.14. Ave HR 172.

ETA. forgot to add that I wore my new saucony hurricaine X1 for the first time. Felt a little heavy to start with but afterwards my left hip didn't feel anywhere near as stiff as it usually would though my right calf felt a little niggly during the run. I wonder would anyone notice if I ran with saucony on the left foot and mizuno on the right :D

Saturday 3.1 miles (Dangan).

Sunday lsr :) 8 miles (trail) ave. pace 11.39 ish, ave hr 163

Happy with that.

Tuesday Cnoc Mea..... lovely run. went the opposite direction than last time which meant a more difficult and steeper climb but a better surface and less steep descent. Over a minute faster than last week... 28.59.

Thursday- 4 miles. The first mile was out on concrete pavement with the new runners but I was feeling all sorts of twinges that I didn't like.... whether it was the runners or concrete or combination I don't know. I went home, changed shoes and did intervals on the TM instead. No twinges. all good.

Saturday... a lovely 4 miles in glorious dangan. I really enjoy running there :)

it doesn't look like I'll get any run in tomorrow so no 5k race. I'll do a long run on Monday morning instead. work can wait.

I knew before I left the house that the long run wasn't going to happen. It just wasn't in me today :( 3.3 miles... very slowly, despite which the HR kept shooting up into the mid 170s so I cut my losses and went home :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Sounds like you're incubating something. This is where a HRM comes in handy. You can see at a glance that all is not well so can cut your losses before you aggravate anything. Keep an eye on your resting heart rate too, if its elevated that can also be a sign that you need to take a break, or at least take it easier. [Any resemblance by this post to medical advice is purely coincidental, no heart beats were hurt in the giving of this advice "opinion"]

I don't seem to have been incubating anything.... just having an "off" day (shrugs). I was absolutely shattered for the rest of the day.

Tuesday- still shattered so a 2 mile walk was my lot.
    Wednesday- feeling good to go again so I headed for the hills (cnocmea/ knockma whatever). I ran the tarmac bit and first bit of the lane as a slow start- then there's a sudden steep climb to the start of the loop. I walked this bit as I would be fecked before I even start if I tried to run it. Off to the right for the loop and managed to run much more of it than last week (though still some walking on the steepest parts). Downhill was fabulous and a quick watch check coming to the end of the loop told me that if I kept going back to the car park I would finish 2 minutes faster than last week. I was feeling great so I decided to brave a second loop. A bit more walking this time but I must have been faster downhill as I finished the second loop a little quicker than the first. Back down to the car park to finish in 46.10.
    When pgibbo talks of his mates doing 5 loops in 55 minutes I think they must be on bikes :cool:

total 4 miles.
    each loop- 19ish mins(1 slightly over- 1 slightly under)
    car park to end of loop (4.40 up, 3.30 down).
    Total elevation gain 334 metres.
    ave pace: 11.30
    ave hr 169.

I'm finding it really hard to warm up after running these days. I'm sitting here over an hour later, showered, heat on, wrapped up in Mrbugs biggest warmest fleece, a scarf and hat and I still feel cold. The coffee and cake is helping :)

Edited. Shows how accurate the garmin is....I appear to have gone higher on my first loop and while last weeks run gave me an elevation gain of 148 metres, this weeks 2 loop gives me 334 metres:rolleyes:

track night. I'd forgotten how good it is to run with other people :) and really good for forcing me to up the pace a wee bit from my usual plod.
    Intervals (200s). Total 4.5 miles.
    As per all advice I changed top after and had some nice hot tea + banana in the car while it warmed up. Home, hot shower, 4 layers, more tea and food and I now feel positively toasty.

:) 9.6 miles in 1.44.

Up early (earlier than planned due to a small boy who can't seem to stay asleep til dawn). At 8 am I brought Mrbug some tea, valentine card and a big bunch of flowers (we don't do gender stereotypes:cool:) and instructions on when and where to pick me up and off I set on my long run.

It was damned cold out there... and somewhat slippy in parts for the first few miles. I had the route broken up psychologically- the first 3.5 was bringing me to my usual 6.2 loop, then 3 nice miles of mostly downhill and in my mind the last 3 would be difficult with climbs, one nasty one just before the 9mile mark and nice downhill/ flat to finish.

I was grand/ happy/ enjoying the run up to somewhere between 7-8 miles and started to tire. Knowing the hills were coming up didn't help but I kept plodding along anyway. Realisation dawned just as I was coming up to the big hill that I had time it badly and would now be running into mass traffic and indeed just as I climbed the hill (ie at my huffipuffiest) turned onto the main road I was into groups of people walking towards the church. Not wanting to look like a fool I upped the pace a bit and moved onto the grass and ran past them . Once past the church i saw Mrbugs car in the distance so kept the pace up so I wouldn't look like I was dying when i got there.

All in all 9.6 miles (my longest yet) in 1.44. ave pace 10.53. mostly the pace hovered between 11 and 11.08 (3 miles 11.06) with 3 (inc the last one) under 11 to bring the average down. ave hr 170 but again that was elevated with the hill and the extra push in the last mile.

All in all very happy with that. I'd be happy with 1.45 in craughwell and unless there are lots of hills I think I'm good for that. If I don't manage it I'll still get a pb anyway :D

Nothing to add but just a few questions for those more in the know than me. (that's if anyone is reading lol?!).

With 4 weeks til the 10 miles race what's the best plan of action mileage wise between now and then.
    Should I keep up the distance above (9.6m) every weekend between now and then or would just running that distance once more before the race (2 weeks before but with shorter long runs (6mish) the weekends either side) suffice?
    I'm really shattered after the long runs.... absolutely exhausted for a couple of days. I really wasn't functioning well for the rest of the day yesterday (I managed to walk out of 2 shops without paying for stuff :o- yes I went back and paid when I realised :D). I know today is when I should be doing my recovery run but I honestly can't face it. I don't know if it's age or what. It's not just my legs... it's all of me! SO I do need to bear that in mind when planning my training over the few weeks. If I overcook it I'll just wear myself out.

Then I'll need to plan for the 4 weeks between Craughwell and Connemara. What distance should I go to in training...12? 2 weeks before or the week before?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hey,
    I think it is Ideal to do your longest run 2 weeks before each race. i.e. 10 miles 2 weeks before Craghwell and 12 miles two weeks before Conemarra. They say it takes your body 2 weeks to benefit from the training you do, so taper down in the two weeks before each race as running long distances in those weeks won't do you any good anyway, and you'll avoid injury and Burnout.

Advertisement