Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We're all going to die (AKA Flu thread) MERGED

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭threeleggedhors

Looking at the world population explosion it's only a matter of time before a big cull.

"You stun them like this fadder, den you put them in the vice .... Run Dougal, run quite fast ..." :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Its just like in this: http://www.crazymonkeygames.com/Pandemic-2.html

Madagascar is always a bitch to infect cause they close their ports so soon :(

I'm playing it right now:D

Have any African countries been hit yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Darkbloom wrote: »
    Not you; did the guy above not get that it's a joke?

I know not me. I knew you were referring to the other guy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

feck sake, how am i going to get my tacos now? the shop ones suck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭lt_cmdr_worf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ConmanTheKiller

What pigs can`t fly, but sure all the swine flu.................................away:P

I`m really sorry for that.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

That was truly offal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

We are all actually gonna die this time, unlike sars, this is the real thing.

Seriously, I just can't take it seriously. Simply because swine is such a ridiculous word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

An interesting opinion from the NY Times I read there was that as we are now at the end of the 'Flu Season' we wont see a pandemic til the next one starts i.e. Autumn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

An interesting opinion from the NY Times I read there was that as we are now at the end of the 'Flu Season' we wont see a pandemic til the next one starts i.e. Autumn.

Fair point. Whoever's had the flu already this year might be inoculated anyway. Or inebriated.

The tags are still fascinating me:
    i smell bacon, manbearpig, mass_hysteria, mexico, panic, pig, pigheads buggered now, psychological operations, swine_flu, this is the end, we're doomed, zombie:beginning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

WHO urges governments to prepare for swine flu pandemic

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/apr/28/swine-flu-who-pandemic-usa-mexico

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭LiNgWiStIkZ

Heh, playing Pandemic II now. The first thing the virus did was:

swine.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

WHO urges governments to prepare for swine flu pandemic

It's misleading headline. What it actually says is:
    if the disease takes hold across the globe it could prove a disaster for the world's poorest countries.

http://www.crazymonkeygames.com/Pandemic-2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Confab wrote: »
    It's misleading headline. What it actually says is:

http://www.crazymonkeygames.com/Pandemic-2.html

what it actually says is:

"We really are in a period in which countries should take this opportunity to really prepare themselves for the possibility of a pandemic"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

what it actually says is:

"We really are in a period in which countries should take this opportunity to really prepare themselves for the possibility of a pandemic"

^^^ what he said

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭deereidy

Sky news is the worst, I've heard the pandemic more on that channel than ever in my life, they're praying for it to happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

deereidy wrote: »
    Sky news is the worst, I've heard the pandemic more on that channel than ever in my life, they're praying for it to happen!

Something has to fill the long dark hours of the rolling-news soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I thought that myself, that fella with the glasses who comes on to 'summarise' after speeches by eu health personnel etc really seems to latch on to the negative bits...at times it's as if they don't want to hear the positives. Then 5 mins later, it's on the Sky website with exclamation marks:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

+1

i like how they cut away today from an ecdc news conference in which the expert was highlighting the good aspects so far of the virus, cue there resident "expert" saying they didnt know anything about the virus, confusion, yada yada pandemic yada yada

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Noticed that myself. Very hard channel to watch. They seem to just blow every story up to something more than it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

While it is true the Flu Season is coming to an end in the Northern Hemisphere, the typical Flu Season for the Southern Hemisphere is just beginning now.

I don't watch sky news for that very reason, they'll wring out a story 'till the pips squeek! at the expense of all other news period!!

Most other news organisations will remind you there are other things happening as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

I have found the source of the flu

please click

Looking at the most recent news, it appears the numbers affected in Mexico have been greatly exaggerated!

A bit like AIDS was in Africa in the 80's, before it really did start killing in huge numbers!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Looking at the most recent news, it appears the numbers affected in Mexico have been greatly exaggerated!
    We had conflicting reports in California between 13 and 20 confirmed cases, and the dispute about 2 that may have died from the flu (or completely other causes, depending upon which news station you listened to).

The Center for Disease Control released a very revealing figure regarding the deaths from flu in general in the USA, which may suggest that the news media is sensationalising this swine flu outbreak (to increase their ratings)?

"Still, U.S. officials stressed there was no need for panic and noted that flu outbreaks are quite common every year. The CDC estimates about 36,000 people in the U.S. died of flu-related causes each year, on average, in the 1990s."

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090428/ap_on_he_me/med_swine_flu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

see how it all pans out here

http://www.zombiegames.net/games/Pandemic-2.html

Immensely fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,229 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

A bit like AIDS was in Africa in the 80's, before it really did start killing in huge numbers!

Doesn't explain why there have been a good few deaths in Mexico but not any where else. They say this may be because a lot more people in mexico have the flu but only the severe cases have lead to death, so far anything outside mexico has been mild but if the number effected continue to rise, a few will be severely effected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

this just in.
    picture just released of dreaded swine flu.
    do not approach as is considered very dangerous.

http://dynimg.rte.ie/0002417310dr.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

I have an urge to watch 28 days later

Advertisement