Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We're all going to die (AKA Flu thread) MERGED

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Highsider wrote: »
    Oh jesus christ. it's just a bad cold for god's sake.

Yes, just a bad cold......... That has killed over 60 people?

I heard the first victim in the US was a baby. Anyway i'm not really worried about it however, I would like to see this dealt with quickly before we have another Black Death on our hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Yes, just a bad cold......... That has killed over 60 people?

I heard the first victim in the US was a baby. Anyway i'm not really worried about it however, I would like to see this dealt with quickly before we have another Black Death on our hands.
    Okay then it's going to end the human race. Happy now:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The first US victim was Mexican, just happened to be in the US.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

mike65 wrote: »

Indeed, who was on holiday in the US and most likely contracted the virus in Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

mike65 wrote: »

At least they are acting on it, schools closed and completely cleaned and sterilised.

Poor schoolkids on the BBC there crying with fear in case they catch it from being in the same school as the child that's infected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

Hopefully this is all being blown way out of proportion so as to scare people into being cautious, like with the SARS epidemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

And the Bird Flu epidemic. Watching Sky News you'd think 99% of the world was infected and on their deathbed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

So, the WHO have ramped this up to a Phase 5 outbreak and have ordered that national pandemic plans be initialized.

This means that the HSE should be doing the following over the next few days:
    • Creating a dedicated 24/7 hotline providing information and advice
    • Mobilizing the countries national stockpiles to local health centers for use during the pandemic
    • Draft plans for the re-location of staff
    • Possible cancellation of non-essential services and relocation of others
    • Advise that all households have a supply of at last one weeks food stuffs
    • An information campaign consisting of posters, newspaper, television and radio advertisements will commence
    • Newspaper, television and radio will also be used to keep you regularly updated on developments
    • Distribution of advice leaflets to every household in the country

Should be interesting to see if any of this at all actually happens . . . ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Biggins wrote: »
    Bit late to close the border. Mind you that would have probably proved useless in all honesty. :(

unless you're in madagascar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Its crazy. Just shut down the airports and borders in mexico. Every case has been caused from someone coming back from mexico so why not do the obvious thing until this is contained.

Even today my work here sent around an email with emergency plans in the event that swine flu hits Boston.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

It may be at level 5,but as of yet, no one outside Mexico, bar the US case, which was a baby who crossed the border, has died of this. Yes, people across the globe have developed symptoms linked with the flu, but few are said to be very bad from observing the media.

At the moment there is no need for panic at all, the media are blowing this out of proportion. Let's see how those affected respond to the drugs.. then we can make an assessment.

At the moment there is no need for panic at all, the media are blowing this out of proportion. Let's see how those affected respond to the drugs.. then we can make an assessment.

Well, while the media always over-inflate issues, it is the WHO who have been continually raising the alert phase levels . . . not the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The WHO is a massive sprawlling expensive body that needs to justify its exisitence every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so i take it taco's and tortios are off the menu:cool:

will mexican restaurants around the world suffer??

fryup wrote: »
    so i take it taco's and tortios are off the menu:cool:

will mexican restaurants around the world suffer??

Well they will in Mexico, people are staying off the streets as much as possible.
    AFAIK you cannot catch it from food.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

New Scientist saw it coming along at a trot.

Well, while the media always over-inflate issues, it is the WHO who have been continually raising the alert phase levels . . . not the media.

Yes, granted, but that's more techincal imo. Whereas the media is taking the more disaster angle and reporting statistics rather unresponsibily at present.
    Such is the showing of masks on people, such as Heathrow airport today. It isn't that bad yet. If the level has been raised, goverments should be obviously prepared, but putting fear into people is wrong. There's too much misinformation.

Yes, granted, but that's more techincal imo. Whereas the media is taking the more disaster angle and reporting statistics rather unresponsibily at present.
    Such is the showing of masks on people, such as Heathrow airport today. It isn't that bad yet. If the level has been raised, goverments should be obviously prepared, but putting fear into people is wrong. There's too much misinformation.

Well the World Health Organisation have told all countries to put themselves on high alert for a full blown pandemic.

Well until it starts to kill people on a wider scale, I'm not worried. At the moment, people are only presenting mild symptoms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

The masks do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Highsider wrote: »
    Oh jesus christ. it's just a bad cold for god's sake.

Well in fairness a cold is the worst sickness going,your sick enough that its a pain in the arse but not sick enough that you can take the day of work:mad:

The masks do nothing.

Hmm, think it was some doctor on earlier advising against the buying of masks or something.

Hmm, think it was some doctor on earlier advising against the buying of masks or something.

Yeah, she said people will wear them and breathe into them and if they are already infected ( takes 3 days for symptoms to show ) will reuse them not realising what they are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Well in fairness a cold is the worst sickness going,your sick enough that its a pain in the arse but not sick enough that you can take the day of work:mad:

Way worse than possible death. I must tell my auntie just diagnosed with cancer and days to live that she should be glad she doesn't have the cold I have. Christ. Where can I request a facepalm smilie? We really need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

amacachi wrote: »
    Way worse than possible death. I must tell my auntie just diagnosed with cancer and days to live that she should be glad she doesn't have the cold I have. Christ. Where can I request a facepalm smilie? We really need one.

Christ,where can I request a sense of humour smily,we really need one:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Christ,where can I request a sense of humour smily,we really need one:rolleyes:

Ouch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Well until it starts to kill people on a wider scale, I'm not worried. At the moment, people are only presenting mild symptoms.
    "I could barely even catch my breath. I`ve never felt a pain like that before. My throat, it was burning, like, it was the worst burning sensation I ever got before. I couldn`t even swallow. I couldn`t even let up air. I could barely breathe through my mouth."

If that's mild...

I do agree with those that say it's a big overreaction anyway, well unless people start dying in the coming days and weeks. There doesn't even seem to be many deaths in Mexico since the news broke.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I have no doubt if it hits ireland the HSE will make a pigs ear of it.....

• Advertisement

Sow what's new?

Advertisement