Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We're all going to die (AKA Flu thread) MERGED

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

;)

2nd paragraph;)

Doesn't mention that he was tested, just that it was "probable".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8027601.stm mentions that the preliminary tests show that he does have it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Does this mean we have to throw out our sausages again?
    :eek:

You can afford sausages? Ya rich sod ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

amacachi wrote: »
    BBC News on Ceefax says the case in Ireland has been confirmed in a man living in the east of the country.
    Let's hope it's bertie

Highsider wrote: »
    Let's hope it's bertie

Was he in Mexico recently? The man who has it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I have human flu right now. :(
    Anyone else got human flu?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Swine Flu just makes me want Pork Products. It is the Ultimate Viral Marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Minister for Health Mary Harney has said that people should panic.

Panic.
    Ms Harney said a stock pile of anti-viral drugs capable of treating between 47% and 50% of the population was available and this is high by international standards.

Does this include mean we can thin out the dole queue a bit? I fancy joining it, but it takes so long out of my day, I'd have to only dress my kids once a week and feed them pot noodles, because I'd be so tired.

Has anybody seen anywhere the symptoms? I think ringing into work sick tomorrow might be a hoot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Quartet

Ms Harney said a stock pile of anti-viral drugs capable of treating between 47% and 50% of the population was available and this is high by international standards.

Pity the stock pile is out of date!!!!

Tamiflu- The shelf life is 2 years from the date of manufacture and would differ from batch to batch depending on when they were manufactured.
    Link
    From the Dept of Health & Children Website

An emergency supply of over 45,000 treatment packs of antivirals (Tamiflu®) was purchased in 2004. A further 1 million treatment packs of antivirals (Tamiflu®) have been stockpiled. ...

Tamiflu® capsules are not suitable for young children. The health services have, therefore, also stockpiled a supply of the active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) which will allow for treatment of almost 110,000 children.

Recommendations for the stockpiling of antivirals are kept under constant review by the Pandemic Influenza Expert Group. The Expert Group advised that a quantity of zanamivir (Relenza®) should be stockpiled in addition to oseltamivir (Tamiflu®). 706,000 courses of Relenza® have now been stockpiled by the HSE.

The quantity of antivirals in stock or on order is enough to treat almost 2 million people. This compares very favourably with other countries across Europe and beyond

Quartet wrote: »
    Pity the stock pile is out of date!!!!

An emergency supply of over 45,000 treatment packs of antivirals (Tamiflu®) was purchased in 2004. A further 1 million treatment packs of antivirals (Tamiflu®) have been stockpiled. ...

The million were stockpiled on a continuous basis, so a lot of them will still be in date.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

"News Report:Ms Harney begins eating all pork products to protect the Irish nation from the Swine flu,god love this wonderful women and her sacrifice"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I just caught it in Bolivia. Big whoop. Who wants it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Quartet

amacachi wrote: »
    The million were stockpiled on a continuous basis, so a lot of them will still be in date.

However that means only those supplies purchased in the previous year are actually still in date. The DHC appear to be doing the calculation on all supplies including those now out of date including the 2004 acquisitions and everything up to last year !

Sounds like fairly typical goverment accounting.....

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭jum4

I just tried calling the swine flu hotline but all I got was crackling...

jum4 wrote: »
    I just tried calling the swine flu hotline but all I got was crackling...

LOL, brilliant.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

I would not have much faith in our health system to deal with an outbreak. They dont even have the resources to deal with the common flu ffs.

plus, what is it with RTE story:
    he Minister for Health has said people should not panic after news of a probable case of swine flu (H1N1-A) in Ireland.

followed by:
    The man who is the country's only confirmed case so far is said to be recovering well.

Which is it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

Maybe he is probably recovering well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

It's terrible that people in Mexico have died from this, really pray it doesn't get like that around the world. I don't want to sound selfish but I'm upset 'cos I've a hol to Orlando booked for 26th June:eek:. Had to pay the balance yesterday, tried to get deposit back but were told as we booked so late(last Thurs) we had to pay it all. It's Thomas Cook so they've promised that if we're advised not to go by the government we'll be refunded. Think the insurance companies pay out in that case too.
    It's unfortunate 'cos I feel when you pay for a holiday, you're not only paying for the week or two you're away, it's also for the weeks before it, of the lift it gives you, all the excitment and stuff and of course the memories afterwards. This flu nuisance is going to spoil it:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Run for the hills - it's the Aporkalypse!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Any truth in the rumour that the Irish case of swine flu is Jim Corr?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Please god let it be true!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Robbo wrote: »

Corr swiney!

I mean cor blimey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Apparently it causes the patient to come out in an awful rasher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Milkey Bar Kid

Winnie Pooh doesn't trust his mates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Winnie Pooh doesn't trust his mates

Funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

it's a snoutbreak of epig porkportions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Advertisement