Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We're all going to die (AKA Flu thread) MERGED

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

*mass hysteria evaporates* :pac:

ha... true... Until next week =/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,272 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'm callin' it on this thread: TOD as per this post. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Lirange

*mass hysteria evaporates* :pac:
    And yet we're still all going to die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its quiet....

too quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Thread resurrect hurray

Swine Flu declared a pandemic today not so hurray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I've been dying of flu for the last two days..could only last about 2 hours in work and back to bed.
    Thing is I've noticed that a load of people are starting to exhibit the same starting sypmthons as I did originally.
    Looks like we're all doomed..
    I'll probably be ok as I'll be immune to it but the rest of ye are fcuked especially now if it mutates to another strain :eek:
    However this could be good for the economy..kill off a few million and there'll be loads of jobs to go around for the survivors...methink's it's all a big government conspiracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Stev_o wrote: »
    Thread resurrect hurray

Swine Flu declared a pandemic today not so hurray.

In b4 people go apeshit because they don't know what the word pandemic means

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

I think this whole flu thingy is a conspiracy to prevent people paying attention to France's announcement tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

However this could be good for the economy..kill off a few million and there'll be loads of jobs to go around for the survivors...methink's it's all a big government conspiracy.
    They did that with AIDS in the 1980s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I've been dying of flu for the last two days..could only last about 2 hours in work and back to bed.
    Thing is I've noticed that a load of people are starting to exhibit the same starting sypmthons as I did originally.
    Looks like we're all doomed..
    I'll probably be ok as I'll be immune to it but the rest of ye are fcuked especially now if it mutates to another strain :eek:
    How are you feeling today Matthew? What kind of starting symptoms were you having anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭phill106

Ann22 wrote: »
    How are you feeling today Matthew? What kind of starting symptoms were you having anyway?

he is looking better anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

All this swine flu business is driving me nuts. People are going mad over it but I think it is no big deal. The symptoms were on the paper recently, headache, fever, sore throat, sore bones...
    What makes this different to the normal flu?
    If you do get it, you take a tablet for 5 days and bobs your uncle, you're back to normal again.

I know it can be dangerous to children and elderly people or sick people but the way people are going on about it you would swear it is some sort of plague that will eat you from inside out!

Yet the government are after spending €88m on a vaccine for the whole country. I think that is overkill.

What does everyone else think about this plague/case of the sniffles that is spreading around?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

well my mam is diabetic and therefore at risk of this thing killing her so I think it is a big deal

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

ye the whole €88m thing is a bit much.

give out free panadol and nurofen and we'll all b grand:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Cough cough. You now have swine flu:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

I really wish I hadn't read The Stand again recently.

There's a storm coming...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,454 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

we're all fcuked. Enjoy the summer. Oink.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

About 10 people now have died from it here... it's a bigger deal than you seem to think. Almost every school's got it now so it's not that bad; but God help the vulnerable.

It appears to be no worse than any other flu, but having said that flu kills thousands every year so it is a big deal.

I did originally have the potential of (or the fear was) of killing hundreds of thousands or even millions, hopefully that risk has diminished.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Well hysteria is going overboard. Flippancy is not to be encouraged either however. Remember the Spanish flu of 1918 started out in the spring with mild symptoms before coming back with avengence come the autumn.

Just be marginally more aware and careful should you develop flu like symptoms. The way the winter is going in the southern hemisphere it would seem swine flu is going to be nearly as common as seasonal flu this winter. People who contract it are likely to be out of work for an average of 10 days but unless you've other health issues affecting your lungs or immune system you'll be just fine. Swine flu seems to kill the 'underlying health issue' people and not care what age they are compared to seasonal flu, otherwise i think we'll survive.

PS love the tags on this :pac:

dead arise, i smell bacon, manbearpig, mass_hysteria, mexico, panic, pig, pigheads buggered now, psychological operations, swine_flu, this is the end, we're doomed, zombie:beginning

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

I'm fully prepared for a zombie outbreak thanks to Boards and the zombie survival forum...thanks lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0718/swineflu.html
    "An analysis by the Health Service Executive of the 156 confirmed cases of swine flu here show that young children, older teenagers and young adults are most at risk of contracting the H1N1 virus.

According to the figures given to RTÉ, 11% of cases occurred in children aged 4 and under, 31% of cases occurred in 15 to 24 year olds and 21% occurred in 25 to 34 year olds.

Only 3% of cases occurred in people over 64.

....Elsewhere, a group of 52 British students and their teachers have been quarantined by Chinese authorities after four students tested positive for swine flu, the British Council said Saturday.

The four students who tested positive for the H1N1 virus have been hospitalised while the group they were on a course with have been quarantined in a hotel in Beijing."

It's simple really, young people travel more than senior citizens so are at a higher risk. Am I right? Im not a doctor but I dont think having caught the flu in the past will give any protection to this strain of flu virus

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It seems odd that a flu virus is more easily overcome by older people

It seems odd that a flu virus is more easily overcome by older people
    thats not what the statistics are tho, its how many people can contract it, not how many people get it and then get rid of it easily.

they just got a soundbite from the doc after finding some stats and made a bit of fill in news

arent there more young people anyway? do people have to pay for tamilfu? alot of money is gonna be made from this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Pharmacies across the country have been supplied with a number of doses of Tamiflu that can be supplied for free to anyone with a prescription for it from their doctor. The number of doses distributed is relatively low at the moment but I'd expect it to be supplemented greatly in the Autumn when the requirement increases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

89% of statistics are wrong though!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I got the flu five times last winter so hopefully I have some resistance as I am in the young adult category. I would advise people to stock up on Poitín as I a credit a few Poitín punches before bed for curing me from the flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zreba

netwhizkid wrote: »
    I got the flu five times last winter so hopefully I have some resistance as I am in the young adult category. I would advise people to stock up on Poitín as I a credit a few Poitín punches before bed for curing me from the flu.

I would say that wasn't a flu virus, something else... you would get resistance after first instance of the illness for a season

am I correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

They have previously said that some older people may have been exposed to a flu variant with similar characteristics as H1N1 which has led to resistance in the older population. This probably explains why the stats are skewed towards younger people.

Advertisement