Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We're all going to die (AKA Flu thread) MERGED

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

zreba wrote: »
    I would say that wasn't a flu virus, something else... you would get resistance after first instance of the illness for a season I would say,

am I correct?

Yeah the protein strands change but the core of the virus changes. Its more complex than that but its the basics. But yeah the above poster probably had a cold.... man flu

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

It seems odd that a flu virus is more easily overcome by older people
    Part of the reason the previous pandemic was so dangerous to young people was cytokine storms.
    I don't know any more then that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

netwhizkid wrote: »
    I got the flu five times last winter so hopefully I have some resistance as I am in the young adult category. I would advise people to stock up on Poitín as I a credit a few Poitín punches before bed for curing me from the flu.

Wow, unlucky you. I've had the Flu a grand total of once in my 35 years. I've had 5 Colds in a single year all right though :rolleyes:

Were you bedridden for a week or more unable to move, with ever fibre of your being aching, running a fever, chronic headaches. Were you bedridden like this 5 times in a year??

Eh No??

Then you had 5 colds and assorted throat infections. This tells me that far from getting the flu 5 times in a year, you actually have never had the flu even once. If you get the flu in the future believe me when I say that you will know it.

Anyone who says, "He's/I've only got the flu, has never experienced it.

And I am not some person with a low pain or sickness threshold who takes to my bed with the sniffles. I haven't been ill enough to go to the doctor or take medication since my teens. Thats a good 20 years ago. ie I don't think the Flu is bad because I am weak. I think its bad because even someone healthy with a high pain threshold like me wanted to curl up and die when I contracted it.

Ironically though, the Swine Flu while more virulent than seasonal flu is less debilitating than seasonal flu by all accounts. The worry is that come this Winter this Higly virulent mild strain will mutate and/or combine with a less virulent but stronger seasonal strain and we'll be hit with the Double Whammy. TBH I am hoping to catch swine Flu now while its mild to give me immunity to a possible future more dangerous version.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zreba

Calibos wrote: »
    Ironically though, the Swine Flu while more virulent than seasonal flu is less debilitating than seasonal flu by all accounts. The worry is that come this Winter this Higly virulent mild strain will mutate and/or combine with a less virulent but stronger seasonal strain and we'll be hit with the Double Whammy. TBH I am hoping to catch swine Flu now while its mild to give me immunity to a possible future more dangerous version.

this makes sense...

I was sick 2 weeks ago... hope this was a swine flu :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Part of the reason the previous pandemic was so dangerous to young people was cytokine storms.

The irony of this is that having a strong immune system will put in danger of dying. There definitely seems to be an upsurge in cases in this part of the world in the last few weeks. Not good.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

The irony of this is that having a strong immune system will put in danger of dying. There definitely seems to be an upsurge in cases in this part of the world in the last few weeks. Not good.:(

having a strong immune system wont put u in danger, having an underexposed immune system that overreacts to a virus will put u in danger.

its good to expose yourself to germs. having everything ultra clean is not always a good thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Calibos wrote: »
    Wow, unlucky you. I've had the Flu a grand total of once in my 35 years. I've had 5 Colds in a single year all right though :rolleyes:

Were you bedridden for a week or more unable to move, with ever fibre of your being aching, running a fever, chronic headaches. Were you bedridden like this 5 times in a year??

Eh No??

Then you had 5 colds and assorted throat infections. This tells me that far from getting the flu 5 times in a year, you actually have never had the flu even once. If you get the flu in the future believe me when I say that you will know it.

Anyone who says, "He's/I've only got the flu, has never experienced it.

And I am not some person with a low pain or sickness threshold who takes to my bed with the sniffles. I haven't been ill enough to go to the doctor or take medication since my teens. Thats a good 20 years ago. ie I don't think the Flu is bad because I am weak. I think its bad because even someone healthy with a high pain threshold like me wanted to curl up and die when I contracted it.

I spent around 4 or 5 days in bed taking megadoses of Vitamin C, Paracetamols (for the pain) and sipping punch to try and cure myself. Beleive me I know the difference between a cold and flu. I would say that some bouts of the flu are worse than others though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Just read on that...how bloody annoying, your immune system is meant to protect you from death by virus and bacteria, but then it can kill ya too. There's no happy medium! :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

Swine flu & living indoors 6 months menu for riding out swine Flu pandemic and enough food for six months family of six three are large teens

The problem is to choose the right food.So Far I got already some 200 tins of tuna fish sized larger abot 200 grams a tin .I also got 200 tins of the Ham larger sized can about 500 grams each

Lucky in Dublin the chinese shops sells big 25KG sacks of rice so I will buy a few more of those sacks to add to my two sacks I already bought.

I also got some 50 of 500 gram bags of oats type porrige which should add some extra bulk

Not being a nutrition diet type person am also looking for ideas on other food stuffs at reasonable costs that contain the relevant protiens and carbs and vitims that are neeeded especaily as three in the family are teens

So any other surviavlists who got good ideas for tizzing up the diet and other stuffgive us your ideas.

I am assuming the electricity supplies will be interupted from the the flu making electric workers sick so all has to be non freezeer solutions as I dont have a generator

Taking the Swine Flu jab isnt a option in my family as Swine Flu vaccine contains nasty oils like Squalene http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squalene that can wreck the nervous system and which can cause perminant brewers droop syndrom and risk steriilsing the reproduction sytems for males and females and worse

Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Although this is for the recession, I think you can use a lot of this guys ideas.

• Advertisement

i'm so glad my daddy was normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

This is the apocolypse, don't ya know!!

The swine flu infectees will either die or mutate into rabid zombie like creatures who will hunt the dwindling numbers of non infected to er, infect them, and eat their snot. I'm going to start a zombie survival forum for like minded individuals, ah sh1t, there's already one :mad::D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

An inch of snow causes this country to collapse.

A million flu cases could easily cause the food distribution system to shut down for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

dresden8 wrote: »

A million flu cases could easily cause the food distribution system to shut down for a while.
    One man out could be chronic.
    Imagine if Pat The Baker ends up out with swine flu, :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The Government could do well out of it, if half the country were to isolate themselves for six months social welfare could refuse dole and other benefits to those that don't sign on and collect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

only 2, only 2 irish bishops have suggested stopping the shaking of hands in churches while we are dealing with this Very very very serious swine flu problem........watch closely as our ability to move quickly and sensibly to reduce its spread is tied up in knots ... by turf protecting bishops arguing the pros and cons of suspending all hand shaking, and empting 'magic' water fonts .... watch now as common sense is held back by small numbers of people too concerned about being asked nicely with all proper forms of address...remind me reader....how do I address a bishop is it 'your grace'? or 'buddy this epidemic is carrying people off daily in england now should we move quickly?'

get ready for closed schools and churches long after initial steps could have been taken.....in the UK they are baffled by its speed......see todays sunday times front web page....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

In fairness, if they are all in a room together they kinda have it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,454 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I suggest dry humping the person next to on the leg instead :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

derry wrote: »
    Swine flu & living indoors 6 months menu for riding out swine Flu pandemic and enough food for six months family of six three are large teens

The problem is to choose the right food.So Far I got already some 200 tins of tuna fish sized larger abot 200 grams a tin .I also got 200 tins of the Ham larger sized can about 500 grams each

Lucky in Dublin the chinese shops sells big 25KG sacks of rice so I will buy a few more of those sacks to add to my two sacks I already bought.

I also got some 50 of 500 gram bags of oats type porrige which should add some extra bulk

Not being a nutrition diet type person am also looking for ideas on other food stuffs at reasonable costs that contain the relevant protiens and carbs and vitims that are neeeded especaily as three in the family are teens

So any other surviavlists who got good ideas for tizzing up the diet and other stuffgive us your ideas.

I am assuming the electricity supplies will be interupted from the the flu making electric workers sick so all has to be non freezeer solutions as I dont have a generator

Taking the Swine Flu jab isnt a option in my family as Swine Flu vaccine contains nasty oils like Squalene http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squalene that can wreck the nervous system and which can cause perminant brewers droop syndrom and risk steriilsing the reproduction sytems for males and females and worse

Derry

Given the objective of riding it out, given the mix in the house u should get a few kilos of KYI and a few thousand rubbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

In fairness, if they are all in a room together they kinda have it anyway.

Not true really,From what I've read it is mainly caught by getting the virus from your hand and rubbing your nose or mouth with it,It's quite hard just to travel through the air and for someone else to catch it..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

All the info about the new up and coming Vaccine isnt good at all .It will contain Squalene http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squalene .This oil and the process to make it in a Vaccine creates all sorts of hazards and risks to damage to the central nervous system and many other organs.Damage to central nervous system can produs perminant brewwers droop syndrom and other effects are likly to sterilze the reproduction systems for men and women and a whole lot worse than that

Tamaflu is banned in Japan for teens as they often loose thier marbles from it similar to massive doses of LSD and become wannabe supermen and try to stop fast moving trains by standing in front of the train or similar stunts .

Long term damage from Tamaflu is starting to show up and most of it is bad real bad and no way I will touch that voodoo snake oil

Me I am loaded up with several months food supply in my house and will just lock the door and wait it out no way I take the Vaccine

Talk exists the government will have forced vaccine campains so to stop them vaccine to me I have my pitch fork ready to repell any medical people who try to jab me (many threads show this is near certian to happen forced vaccine campain in the ROI)

The best info is if your house is full for food eneogh to last months the government might leave you alone and not jab you as efffectivily if your in your house your in quarintine and not speading any bugs and they see the sharpened pitch forks with no entry sign on your house

Either that or ten medical staff will die in any attempt at the end of my pitch fork trying to rush me in my house and jab me with a dangeroous expermental vaccine

Any way the death rate from this virus is still only a low 0.1% to 0.5% all in line with normal flu death rates so who is trying to hype this up to some sort of bad flu unless they know the new wheoponised flu they made from the 1918 flu which they dug up in the north pole a few years back and will mutate and become worse.Could it be the big pharm made this flu and then sells us the vaccine which injures us and then sells us more snake oil cures for the injuries they make to us(latest info this swine flu is mix of several flu virus including the 1918 virus )

Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

me I am loaded up with several months food supply and will just lock the door and wait it out no way I take the Vaccine

Christ on a bike!

Do you really expect it to get so bad that you need to stockpile food and fend off mad Tamiflu wielding scientists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It seems odd that a flu virus is more easily overcome by older people

Cytokine storm

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zreba

Me I am loaded up with several months food supply in my house and will just lock the door and wait it out no way I take the Vaccine

and then after this time you'll die very quick, as your body will have no response reaction to the (mutated by then) virus gained, if you will be lucky enough you can make it to the next season

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Confab wrote: »

That makes sense, I wonder which pharma company will start producing the OX40 med mentioned in that

Interesting how it's trials only began in May - http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00900302?term=OX-40&rank=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

This is the apocolypse, don't ya know!!

the aporkalypse, surely?

the aporkalypse, surely?
    Isn't that a PORCUS orgy gone wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

mexico flu lol damn mexicans!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Anyone not familiar with derry should consult his prolific postings in the conspiracy theories forum :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

ive had a cough for 5 weeks,caught it in cyprus hmmmm im scared

Advertisement