Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We're all going to die (AKA Flu thread) MERGED

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Good excuse to get out of attending court? Didn't work in this case.
    A property dispute between developer Sean Dunne and his former estate agents CB Richard Ellis has got under way in the Commercial Court.
    Justice Finlay Geoghegan this morning rejected an attempt by Mr Dunne to seek an adjournment of the case on the grounds that he had swine flu and could not attend the eight-day trial.
    Mr Dunne's GP for 19 years, Dr Michael Meegan, said he is suffering mild to moderate symptoms but could not confirm whether he is suffering from swine flu.
    He said he was taking Tamiflu as a precaution. He said swabs sent to a lab today would not confirm whether he had swine flu until Friday at the earliest.
    Link

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zreba

HouseHippo wrote: »
    I think I have the flu!!!!!
    I have;
    Runny Nose
    Nausea
    Muscle aches and pains
    Sty on my eye
    Drowsy
    Chills
    Fatigue

better now then in September when it mutates...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,271 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I have;
    Runny Nose
    Nausea
    Muscle aches and pains
    Sty on my eye
    Drowsy
    Chills
    Fatigue
    If there's a pig in that sty, I'd be getting worried, if I was you.... :D

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

A girl in work called in sick on Monday, which just happened to be the first day back in work after her birthday... My boss didn't find it very funny when I suggested she might have wine flu:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Can someone clear this up for me please?

For some reason I was under the impression that this flu affected those who are normally safest from the flu - young, healthy folk - while leaving the very young children and elderly somewhat untouched. Is this true? My research on wikipedia seems to contradict this, and now I'm wondering how it got into my head in the first place.
    I think that was how the Spanish flu worked. Something about a healthy body attacking its own lungs because of the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I've heard another "expert" claiming this on the radio today. Divided opinion? Not helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Seems to be getting more serious now.

I was talking to a girl that's a receptionist at my local health clinic and they all have to wear masks from tomorrow on

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Seems to be getting more serious now.

I was talking to a girl that's a receptionist at my local health clinic and they all have to wear masks from tomorrow on

well if those two in intensive care prove to be fatal then our mortality rate is 0.95%, well above most other countries

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

i'm copying and pasting this opinion on swine flu from another forum.

this is not necessarily my own opinion, i just think it rasises some very interesting points!

Cast your mind back to 2006. All that stuff about Avian Flu coming in from China, killing all our birds and crossing over into humans and potentially killing us all!??
    Never happened did it? We saw all the news footage of all these people with surgical masks on, there were public service announcements.. But the whole thing was overhyped..
    Remember SARS about 3 years before that.. Same thing again.. Dont worry, theres only a 99.9999999999999999% chance you'll live if you get it..

Now, lets look at this logically..
    Im sure you are aware that the drugs theyre pushing are Tamiflu and Relenza.. The shelf life of these drugs is 36months.. 3 years.. Odd how these "pandemics" and "epidemics" seem to surface every 3 years or so..

And then the governments spend millions of taxpayers money on restocking their reserves of these drugs, Big Pharma rake in billions worldwide, and once the cheques clear - it suddenly disappears from the news..

Testing for a made up virus
    How did they manage to come up with the test for Swine Flu so quick?? I mean, its been a few months since those tragic deaths in Mexico. These tests take years to manufacture.. So how are they proving these people have swine flu??
    That and the fact that H1N1 refers to a rather broad spectrum of flu viruses and not just this "swine flu"! Its certainly enough to make me sceptical, How about you?
    Plus, you dont even need to test positive to get prescribed the drugs now.. All you have to do is go to your doctor and say "I think I have swine flu" and you will exit the surgery with a prescription in your hand.. Soon you may not even need to see a doctor..

A little note on Tamiflu and Relenza..
    At best these drugs can reduce the timeframe of the "swine flu" by 36 hours.. Considering the infection is supposed to last 8-10 days.. Its hardly what you would call impressive or invaluable..
    PLUS, the side effects of tamiflu/relenza?? Fever, nausea, diahhrea, headaches, sore throat, muscle ache.. Is it just me, or do they sound oddly like the symptoms of Swine Flu itself? (And for that matter, dont the symptoms of Swine Flu sound just like the symptoms of normal flu? Whats the difference?)

In reality its just a massive PR exercise in how to scare people into allowing our governments waste a load of money and keep Big pharma in control of our lives. In some countries they want to make the vaccine madatory.. In case you are not aware, in the US in 1976 there was a swine flu outbreak( see Here) Many people went for the vaccine and the vaccine ended up causing more illnesses and deaths than the swine flu itself!! The government had to set up a national compensation fund for the victims of the swine flu vaccine.. Are they planning on using the same vaccine again? Because since the first cases in Mexico, they have not had enough time to develop and test a vaccine to an acceptable standard to be recommended for sale!! (unless the Big Pharma reps that run the FDA plan on pushing it through in spite of the lack of proper research..stranger things have happened)

As Ive said in another post.. Considering 1000 people per year die of flu in the US alone, 200 deaths worldwide of Swine Flu seems quite insignificant. Malaria kills 3000 per day-but they dont make a huge media hype about it.. (probably because it really only affects the 3rd world, and they cant afford the Big Pharma solution..thats why we scribble out the sell by date on all the leftover stockpiles of tamiflu and relenza from the SARS/Avian Flu outbreak and send it to them as "aid"-that there is the sickest thing of all icon_evil.gif )

Vaccination Revalation
    Modern vaccines do NOT contain minute amounts of the disease.. (If anything that would be homeopathy wouldnt it??) Vaccines actually contain more of such fantastic things as mercury, formaldehyde and several other toxic substances.. All things we are told to avoid, yet when it comes to vaccination, we are encouraged to have injected into our blood supply?
    What you may want to know about vaccines before you roll up your sleeve..

Avoiding the Hog Hype

If you are really scared, then prevention is better than cure.. Supporting your own natural immune system is key..
    - Keep hydrated.. Plenty of filtered pure clean water with a touch of himalayan salt is best, but try getting more water anyway. 2L per day is good, but if you can get more do try..
    - Eat mainly (60% of diet) vegetables.. Organic is best, if you cant buy organic, scrub your veg before eating it. And eat it as close to raw as possible, ie; with the exception of those veg that must be cooked through (eg potatoes) your vegetables should be crunchy!!
    - Get extra Vitamin C & citrus bioflavinoids (these you will need to supplement unless you can actually pick the citrus fruit off the tree yourself and eat it then and there) avoid preparations with sweeteners such as aspartame & sodium saccharin in them.
    - Get more allacin, this is the active ingredient in Garlic that boosts your bodies immunity, 3-4cloves a day, or garlic capsules if you cant bear the taste.
    - Get outside and get active! Recent studies are showing the massive links between Vitamin D (manufactured in the skin due to sun exposure) and immunity (not to mention cancer prevention). The extra vitamin D plus the actual benefits of exercise itself are invaluable. See here for more.
    - Echinacea, if you are using an echinacea tincture, it is best to take it in an alternating pattern-ie, 2 weeks on 2 weeks off..

-And last, but certainly not least, STOP WATCHING THE NEWS. Or at least, if you are going to watch the news, do so with a healthy dose of scepticism, because just like the Ministry of Truth in 1984, the news is only telling you what they want you to hear, their agenda is very clear, and also very damaging, it has led to your present fear of this massively overhyped situation, and the massive amount of money being pumped into Big Pharma for worthless drugs. Thats your money they have spent.. Considering theyre all on about this economic recession, youd think they may be more cautious with the purse strings..Especially when the money they could have saved would have reduced the need to cut public spending on the most vulnerable in our societies..

For further reading on this subject, please go to;
    The Campaign for Truth in Medicine .
    run a search for swine flu in the "search eclub" box.
    The Alliance for Natural Health ,
    Here you will find a few informative articles about this "epidemic"
    Dr Mercola's website ,
    Again, run a search for swine flu and prepare to be astonished..

Prevention is always better than cure, so boost your immunity and in addition to being free from the threat of the flu, you willl enjoy feeling better in general!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

*eadaoin
    i'm copying and pasting this opinion on swine flu from another forum.

this is not necessarily my own opinion, i just think it rasises some very interesting points!
    (etc)

I know you were only pasting something from another site, but I personally think the text is a sort of muddy combination of pathetic conspiracy theory, and unorthodox, quack-happy lip service (to put it politely).

Aside from the suggestion of a global conspiracy, the advice to "get outside and get active" particularly stunned me, as it is contrary to standard flu recovery advice that has been effective for hundreds of years, i.e. "stay indoors, rest, and drink fluids".

I have flu (of some sort) at the moment and if I were to attempt to "get outside and get active", I'm fairly sure I might faint, or indeed, infect someone else.
    _
    I have;
    Runny Nose
    Nausea
    Muscle aches and pains
    Sty on my eye
    Drowsy
    Chills
    Fatigue

I have all that (apart from sty in eye?), plus attacks of sweating buckets ever couple of hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

dammit I have it too. Not a happy camper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

Had it.

Colds are worse.

Onwards and upwards.

I have a feeling it's gonna be widespread in Ireland very soon. My mother has it and also my brother, who lives in town and hasn't been over in 2 weeks.

I'm no hippy but I gotta say, that Manuka honey stuff is damn tasty when you have a tickley cough. Wish I could say the same for Lemsip. Makes me wanna puke.

BTW, where is the official "I have swine flu" thread?

womoma wrote: »
    BTW, where is the official "I have swine flu" thread?

Atishoo! Anseo!

Oh right.

Anyone else have flu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

right now in Ranafast Donegal 14 students have been sent home. I went to Ranafast Gaeltacht when I was 15. Lots of shiftin goes on and the final night, the celilí mór is all about who gets the most shifts, so basically everyone there gets a little of every other persons salivia. people average 10 I think.

Its a ticking time bomb!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 couch13

I thought I had swine flu, turned out it was a stomach bug...scary!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Might have the Swine Flu, will have to wait for the tests to come back. Doctor doubts it though. If it is swine flu...then omg...it's bad like but it's hard to believe people died from it.

Advertisement