Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We're all going to die (AKA Flu thread) MERGED

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

There are now suspected cases in France and New Zealand.

I see someone said it's not very deadly but a lot of flu strains start out like that and evolve to be more deadly. Spanish flu in 1918 started like that and killed more people than WW1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

mexico is worst hit

i just hope Salma Hayek is alright

if anything was to happen to her, i don't think i could face life anymore:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Website I found for information

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

do you really care so much about the snippet of advice?

if you do, i'll spend my sunday morning having a debate with you, k?

It's not so much the useless advice ,its the fact that the US embassies response to this outbreak ,is still visit mexico but stay six feet away from people.If they can't give practical advice ,they should say nothing.Talk about retarded!.
    Debate away i'am heading for a pint and a singsong ,it's sunday morning for fcuks sake!.

• Advertisement

Saibh wrote: »
    Website I found for information

they don't have the update that the flight attendant didn't have swine flu...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I for one, welcome our new Swine Overlords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Spanish flu in 1918 started like that and killed more people than WW1

They speak Spanish in Mexico dont they?

I knew that evil bástard King Carlos was behind all this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

they don't have the update that the flight attendant didn't have swine flu...

Noticed that, but it has information on travel, restrictions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Thank God I found this Thread.

Now I know what it is, I thought the Syphilis was flaring up again.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Its like telling soldiers going into battle to "avoid the bullets!".

That sounds like perfectly good advice to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Just put a mattress against the wall, crouch behind it and put a paper bag over your head. do not go outside until the fallout has stopped.

Ah ....no ...hang on ...that was the other "don't panic" advice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Pandemic: putting dem into panic since the word was invented.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It's ok. We live in the West.
    Things like this only affect poor countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

I'm a lizard

Oink oink oink

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Come to think of it folks.... I haven't seen Pighead around for a while!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

There are now suspected cases in France and New Zealand.

I see someone said it's not very deadly but a lot of flu strains start out like that and evolve to be more deadly. Spanish flu in 1918 started like that and killed more people than WW1
    I thought it works the other way around, something is deadly then it lessens and we build up a little immunity or we make vaccines.

According to americans, they have identified the source of swine flu.They are going to bomb the **** out of the bay of pigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Terry wrote: »
    It's ok. We live in the West.
    Things like this only affect poor countries.

yeah, it's only ****holes like America, new zealand and...oh....right.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Dude, stfu. Making me look bad it my Pighead thread. Damn you!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I don't have any pig friends so I'm not worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

jonny24ie wrote: »

He's in hiding, being immune from the virus, apparently if we sasrcrifice him, we can harvest his bodily fluids as a cure.:D

SV wrote: »
    I don't have any pig friends so I'm not worried.

****, if all the pigs are sick, who is going to score all the nurses in Coppers?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

So, we export our contaniminated pork produce to Mexico and look what happens.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

God damn these pandemics. They always fulfill the worst case scenario aswell.

Remember SARS?........no?.......errrrmm.... how about bird flu??....

So what, it's just another cry wolf? It's the time when we let our collective guard down, that we most likely get bit in the arse. If SARS had been ignored or treated less virulently at the time, who knows how many more would have died or to what other countries it may have reached, how it may have mutated.
    Bird flu is still killing poeople in it's current guise, and the issue of mutation means "it hasn't gone away, you know".
    I don't like alarmist, sensationalist crap anymore than you do but we shouldn't let past non-events cloud our reaction to future events.
    Confab wrote: »
    This is a load of bollocks. There's far more diseases out there that can kill us with much greater ease and have done a million times more damage, malaria being just one of them. Malaria has been a world epidemic for 80 years and shows no signs of weakening. It's just that the media loves scare stories. They did the same with H5N1 and SARS.

Last time I noticed malaria wasn't transmissible between humans without the help of either a mossie or a botched blood transfusion. Yes, it's killed more than all our wars combined and yes, it's a tragedy, but to talk about it in this context isn't comparing like with like.
    Of course the media love these stories...that's because the public eat them up...just because something gets overblown through media exposure doesn't mean it suddenly fails to become a threat. I only wish it were so.

Seems to me an awful lot of people crop up in these threads with this gung ho attitude that we're all a bunch of panickers and it's all just media hype...look behind the rolling news and screaming headlines.
    If this trickles out to nothing like other past scares have then great....but if it doesn't, would our inaction in the early stages not just lead to even more death or illness in the long term? I'm not talking about Joe Public's inaction here, since ther'es realy nothing we can do...I'm talking about the reactions of the people tasked with dealing with this, border authorities, governments, law enforcement, medical staff etc.
    Can you imagine the mess such a pandemic would make of this country were it to get loose here? We have problems with normal flu outbreaks and the norovirus within our already over taxed hospital network at ceretain times of year...a flu that affected young and middle aged adults as well as the young and elderly would run rife through it: never mind the fatal aspect, just the aspect that so many medical staff sick and unable to deliver help to those more at risk would up the death toll from those too weak to fight the virus.
    Sensationalist and unrealistic? Perhaps. But forewarned is always forearmed.
    Now if you'll excuse me I'm off out to panic buy tinned food bottled water batteries and a crate of scotch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Unpossible wrote: »
    I thought it works the other way around, something is deadly then it lessens and we build up a little immunity or we make vaccines.

From what i understand when a flu virus like this (a H1N1 variant) jumps from say, pigs to humans, it mutates and becomes very agressive. We will start to build an immunity over time, but in that time it's possible that millions would die.

That's the potential problem with this, as it has an incubation period of a few days, and you don't become incapacitated for anything up to week. Up to that time, people can wander around, spreading the virus like crazy.
    The Avian flu from a few years back had an advantage of making people lethargic quite early on, limiting the spread.

The CDC said yesterday that containing this thing wouldn't be possible and it looks like they were right, with possible cases springing up in canada, the US, new zealand and Isreal. Over the next few days it's going to be pretty interesting as to how this plays out and just how effective western medical systems are.

Still, it's no Captain Trips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

jonny24ie wrote: »
    He's busy, off working his charms on a certain SMod. Link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭5318008!

has anyone else noticed how so many new diseases come from animals? In fact an aweful lot of common diseases first came from animals aswell.

Zoophiles are to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Ahhhhh im starting to get a cold! Im dooomed.

Thing about this thing is, lets see how bad it gets in Mexico before we panic.

Scary thing seems to be that in this day in age it can spread to any corner of the world in a few hours.

New Zealand has been affected so those who think we will get it last are wrong.

The different thing between this and the last scare was that that flu was transmitted from birds to humans this is transmitted from human to human.

As its Sunday today, it worries me what might be revealed during the week about the situation in a predominately catholic country that virtually shuts during Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Advertisement