Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We're all going to die (AKA Flu thread) MERGED

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

b28 wrote: »
    I'm getting kindof worried now. I mean I have people in my family who have a weakened immune system! and an elderly granny still!!
    I hope it doesn't get here!

Well it normally kills young adults with strong immune systems (Cytokine Storm) so I wouldnt worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

So has there been any update on travel restrictions? Myself and my girlfriend are planning on heading over to New York in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭wexican

So has there been any update on travel restrictions? Myself and my girlfriend are planning on heading over to New York in June.

No travel restrictions yet, the Irish authorities are just advising people not to travel to affected areas unless it's absolutely necessary to do so.

Unless it gets extremely serious I doubt we'll see any concrete travel restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

EU are advising to avoid unnecessary travel to Mexico and the US

http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=SPEECH/09/200

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Televisa now reporting 149 deaths from the virus........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I blame the Celtic Tiger and all the people going on Holidays:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

rte.ie says " Swine Flu: Four Irish samples tested"

ician wrote: »
    rte.ie says " Swine Flu: Four Irish samples tested"

we know rtf thread please...

we know rtf thread please...

orly
    Didn't see it anywhere else in this thread?

• Advertisement

Its just shown up on RTE:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0427/swineflu.html

Although the headline was this "Swine flu: Four Irish samples tested " and now is Swine flu cases confirmed in Scotland.
    orly
    Didn't see it anywhere else in this thread?

orly?

orly?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Maybe we'll stick with English then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

World Health Organisation have upgraded the pandemic alert from three to four, which means means its experts believe the virus is showing a sustained ability to pass from human to human, and is able to cause community-level outbreaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭b28

Any update? Is it really something to be concerned about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

id say give it another 3 days before we can say if this is gonna turn nasty. the puzzling thing is all the deaths have been in mexico and all the rest have been mild versions.
    Could be just the first wave of infections.

we should now by morning if the irish cases are positive. Pray that the arent. the longer we can go without any positives the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Eh.....maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

what is the mortality rate of this roughly ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Madou

b28 wrote: »
    Any update? Is it really something to be concerned about?

Naaaah don't worry. Just as it seems everything's lost and we're all f*cked, Will Smith will save the world from the brink of the abyss. He'll probably make some humorous quips about "pigs flying" and the like.

This will all be followed by a stirring speech by Morgan Freeman from the steps of the burnt-out remains of the White House (daughter by his side is optional, dramatic effect says she already snuffed it), and he'll talk about how humans will prevail, blah, blah, blah.

I mean Bill Pullman's career may suffer due to some hammish acting, but he's likely to make a comeback in a dramatic thriller some years later.

Concerned?? Not a chance.

Attention for muddled movie analogies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

No need to panic, our health centres are all Centres Of Excellence.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

jackdaw wrote: »
    what is the mortality rate of this roughly ?

too early to know but based on mexicos figures about 7.5% mortality rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

rossie1977 wrote: »
    too early to know but based on mexicos figures about 7.5% mortality rate

ouch !!!

a bit too high for comfort...

jackdaw wrote: »
    ouch !!!

a bit too high for comfort...

based on mexico figures tho...

everywhere else, it's 0% as far as i know..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I would think it's too early at this stage to be calculating mortality rate, the Mexican figures may not be very accurate, Mexico City has 21 million people so 150 deaths is not an enormous amount (it is of course for those who have died).

The mild form seen overseas so far may be just the first wave, as the virus spreads there is a chance it could mutate into a more virulent form, then we may be in trouble.

Hope yer allotments are coming along nicely, Richard Corrigan's new show's viewership figures may start to go up ;).

This whole thing is pretty insane. When was it first reported, does anyone know?

This whole thing is pretty insane. When was it first reported, does anyone know?

you thinking what i am thinking? zombies!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

As far back as late march afaik. The government did nothing.

World Health Organisation have upgraded the pandemic alert from three to four, which means means its experts believe the virus is showing a sustained ability to pass from human to human, and is able to cause community-level outbreaks.

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/avian_influenza/phase/en/index.html
    Phase 4 is characterized by verified human-to-human transmission of an animal or human-animal influenza reassortant virus able to cause “community-level outbreaks.” The ability to cause sustained disease outbreaks in a community marks a significant upwards shift in the risk for a pandemic. Any country that suspects or has verified such an event should urgently consult with WHO so that the situation can be jointly assessed and a decision made by the affected country if implementation of a rapid pandemic containment operation is warranted. Phase 4 indicates a significant increase in risk of a pandemic but does not necessarily mean that a pandemic is a forgone conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

They have just announced on SKY news that the Foreign Office has advised against all but essential travel to Mexico, which means anyone that was going there on holiday can claim their money back on their insurance.

• Advertisement

this is getting really bad.. i was too young to even care about sars but i care about this now.

Advertisement