Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is there any 18-19 year old recruits

• 25-04-2009 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

hi,im in 6th year in school and in the process of doing my leaving cert and am planning to apply for the gards as soon as i have completed it.ive been told by various people that the gardai rarley take on recruits this young and just out of school and have a leaning to take on people in there early twenties,who have done a college course etc.,just wanted to know is there any truth behind this,thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

hi,im in 6th year in school and in the process of doing my leaving cert and am planning to apply for the gards as soon as i have completed it.ive been told by various people that the gardai rarley take on recruits this young and just out of school and have a leaning to take on people in there early twenties,who have done a college course etc.,just wanted to know is there any truth behind this,thanks

All depends on your maturity. The interview board will be the judges of that, no one else.

Good luck with your Leaving Cert, and enjoy your summer off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Joefromcork

yea...i was told the same...i went and got an Irish degree from UCC and applied..it helped me an fair bit...however there was a 19 year old guy up there when i was doing my medical... take my advice.. go to college..travel then apply..Im 22 and i feel a small bit young...you have up to the age og 35..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

yea...i was told the same...i went and got an Irish degree from UCC and applied..it helped me an fair bit...however there was a 19 year old guy up there when i was doing my medical... take my advice.. go to college..travel then apply..Im 22 and i feel a small bit young...you have up to the age og 35..

I agree with Joe (the guy that for some reason hates Mayo GAA :pac:) Head to college first. The next garda recruitment drive is unlikely to happen any time soon anyway buy don't wait around for that, head to college in September and if a drive does happen, make a decision then.

DON'T head to College for the sake of it though.. you wont last if you do. Life experience doesn't equate to drinking for 3 years and living off your parents! Get some work experience too.. get out there dealing with people and situations that you wouldn't otherwise.

eroo wrote: »
    DON'T head to College for the sake of it though.. you wont last if you do. Life experience doesn't equate to drinking for 3 years and living off your parents! Get some work experience too.. get out there dealing with people and situations that you wouldn't otherwise.

yea...Eroo is right..i worked part time with a security company for a few years during college..

• Advertisement

A small bit off stereotyping there Eroo, no?

I'm sorry to say but college is nearly a must these days, the days of having a leaving cert to get a job are out the window! Employers want people with further education.

I'm in college and never sponged off my parents, had a part time job for most of it and full time at summer, obviously in the fourth and final year, living off the parents was the only option.

And for the drinking, ya the social life is a huge part of college, but it's down to the individual whether or not he/she takes it to a extreme and allows it to effect their course.

A small bit off stereotyping there Eroo, no?

I'm sorry to say but college is nearly a must these days, the days of having a leaving cert to get a job are out the window! Employers want people with further education.

I'm in college and never sponged off my parents, had a part time job for most of it and full time at summer, obviously in the fourth and final year, living off the parents was the only option.

And for the drinking, ya the social life is a huge part of college, but it's down to the individual whether or not he/she takes it to a extreme and allows it to effect their course.

Stereotyping? Not to where I went..

I've yet to come across an employer who wanted someone with a degree.. unless your looking into the area your degree applies to.

i think we're going off the point a small bit lads... 16airassualt.. expierence is what you need at the end of the day..if you want to go to college to get or work full time it's up to you...:)

Stereotyping? Not to where I went..

I've yet to come across an employer who wanted someone with a degree.. unless your looking into the area your degree applies to.

Didn't say degree, said further education..

That's really bad advice to give a leaving cert student who already is in two minds whether to go or not.. don't go cos there's too much drink involved and you'll be living off your parents!

Didn't say degree, said further education..

That's really bad advice to give a leaving cert student who already is in two minds whether to go or not.. don't go cos there's too much drink involved and you'll be living off your parents!

Where did I say not to go?

Sorry but that's the truth.. experience rather than solely education is what they are looking for.

Anyways, whatever the OP decides, they have plenty of time!

• Advertisement

Where did I say not to go?

Sorry but that's the truth.. experience rather than solely education is what they are looking for.

Anyways, whatever the OP decides, they have plenty of time!

Yeah lets stop this here before Mr Nog tells us how bad we are for going off topic :D

Yeah lets stop this here before Mr Nog tells us how bad we are for going off topic :D

Agreed:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭16airassualt

thanks for all the help lads,dont think i could see myself going back into education after the leaving cert though,even if there is drinking sessions every night!il probably get a job and hope for the best when the next recruitment drive crops up,hopefully it wont be too long

Advertisement