Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merlin Park Hospital

Options
  • 25-04-2009 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

It's so run down, man. It's like Ballychernobyl, looking at the buildings.

Nice to walk through it though, big green spaces. They sure took up as much space as they possibly could to build a hospital.

(We saw the world's fattest king charles spaniel. It waddled from the front much like mary harney. Looked a lot happier than her, though.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

it was originally a tb hospital for isolation etc. hence the massive grounds

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

aaaaah

that makes sense then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Xiney wrote: »

You should go inside. Parts of the out patients area are like time traveling back to the 1950s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

3474056789_7ca36514f7.jpg?v=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Xiney wrote: »

Yeah thats what happens with a goverment that doesnt care about its people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

My husbands grandfather was the New Zeland architect Norman White who designed Merlin Park hospital.
    I have to agree parts of it are looking pretty shoddy now though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Tzetze wrote: »
    3474056789_7ca36514f7.jpg?v=0

The boiler house is purposly not touched up with paint for a few reasons:

1) Maintenance staff are sick of people calling up to the yard asking if the Boiler House is the main hospital block :eek:

2) There's a lot of steel in the structure (which can be seen if you look close up irl) so would just penetrate the paint pretty quickly

IMHO it would be a total waste of money to tidy that thing up - who needs a freshly painted boiler house? I'd be raging if they spent a fcukload tidying it up when the HSE needs money pumped into it so badly in other areas

On a happier note, they've got funky modern XRay machines (I need to stop breaking bones :()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Used to go jogging through the grounds.
    Back in the day when Dougiska (sp?) was a but a country lane. Around 2002-2003

Nice place for a walk if you can manage to ignore the depressing buildings.
    lol,I used to think of Chernobyl too when I saw that boiler house

Worth strolling over to Merlin Park Castle, it's gated so not much you can do but worth a look anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

They recently have done that building up !. It looks brand new now.

Yeah, the boiler house was actually the best looking building out of the whole lot.
    JohnCleary wrote: »

1) Maintenance staff are sick of people calling up to the yard asking if the Boiler House is the main hospital block :eek:

Perhaps... a sign? That people could read? :eek:

There should really be a map upon entering the place - say if you're walking, you wouldn't be able to find where you were going very quickly. (UCHG has the same problem actually)

On a happier note, they've got funky modern XRay machines (I need to stop breaking bones :()

We certainly noted that the Imaging department had the most modern looking signs there. To be perfectly honest, if the signs hadn't looked like they were designed in the past 5 years or so, it would have been easy to imagine the place abandoned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Funny that a Chernobyl should get a mention today as the accident happened on April 26th, 1986.

As for Merlin Park, thankfully I haven't been there too often. The last time was for a job interview a few years ago and it was a depressing place then. I doubt a lot has changed.

malice_ wrote: »
    Funny that a Chernobyl should get a mention today as the accident happened on April 26th, 1986.

As for Merlin Park, thankfully I haven't been there too often. The last time was for a job interview a few years ago and it was a depressing place then. I doubt a lot has changed.

As a patient, Merlin Park is a much more relaxing place than UCHG though, imho anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Also you can actually park

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's called Merlin Park for a reason don't ya know

As a patient, Merlin Park is a much more relaxing place than UCHG though, imho anyway
    I remember visiting my granny in there years ago and she was sitting at the window at the end of the ward watching rabbits going about their rabbit business. Very good for the soul.

I remember visiting my granny in there years ago and she was sitting at the window at the end of the ward watching rabbits going about their rabbit business. Very good for the soul.

Aye, even for the resident patients it's great to be able to go for a walk in peace etc.

Honestly it is a very nice place to go for a walk - will definitely be back often.

Just wish I had a dog to take with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

malice_ wrote: »

How right you are on that count, as far as the staff are concerned any way. Depressing news coming in from the HSE every day. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Every time I hear about the parking etc hassles at UCHG, I can help but wonder if they shouldn't just move everything possible out to Merlin Park, and leave the Newcastle site as a community clinic only.

I know it would cost a fortune to put some facilities (operating theatres etc) there, but it really does seem nuts to have two public hospitals in somewhere the size of Galway, and the UCHG site doesn't appear to have any room to expand.

Has that ever been considered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

The problem with UCHG is the fact that they've long tried to expand parking facilities only to be shot down by complaints from local residents and councillors. Its absolutely ridiculous. Now the latest crap are the green lobbies who say that we should all take buses/bikes to the hospital.

Problems.

1) The buses are crap.
    2) Anyone going to the hospital to visit a sick relative doesnt give a **** about carbon emissions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Merlin Park freaks the bejasus outta me the buildings are so eerie. doesnt hep that i spent more than my fair share as a kid there visiting family members. Bad recollections of the place.... On the other hand the grounds are nice..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hopefully they'll put light in the intersection soon, it's a tricky one to get out from Merlin if you're turning right. I've know a person that was hit from the side there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Merlin Park should be the primary hospital facility in Galway. F88k UCHG, no room up there for any expansion or car parking. Ridiculous waste of acres of land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

JustMary wrote: »
    I know it would cost a fortune to put some facilities (operating theatres etc) there, but it really does seem nuts to have two public hospitals in somewhere the size of Galway, and the UCHG site doesn't appear to have any room to expand.

Has that ever been considered?

There are Orthopaedic Operating theatres out there as it is.

And I believe that they are looking at utilising the Merlin site to a greater extent as they were unable to obtain that land-swap in Shantalla, exactly because of the vast space they have out in Merlin park.

Doubtless all those plans have been put on hold now cos of 'De recession':rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Some size grounds alright.
    I remember when I was knee high to a grasshopper, goin' up there to play tennis and pitch & putt.
    Used to get our conkers up there too :), some savage sized trees.
    Remember goin' for walks too in the Merlin woods and into the castle........ah nostalgia............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

I heard that back in the day, allegedly the consultants and the powers that be who lived in Galway didnt want to have to go as far as Merlin park to go to work so development was centered on UCHG.
    Been to Merlin Park to visit people in the hospital and although it is old and tatty round the edges it is a much nicer place to be than UCHG

2) There's a lot of steel in the structure (which can be seen if you look close up irl) so would just penetrate the paint pretty quickly

IMHO it would be a total waste of money to tidy that thing up - who needs a freshly painted boiler house? I'd be raging if they spent a fcukload tidying it up when the HSE needs money pumped into it so badly in other areas

They have done up the boiler house recently. They didn't paint it I think they used some sort of cladding to cover it up. I must have a right look some day.

I used to work up in maintenance during the summers a few years ago. You wouldn't meet a sounder crew anywhere, good craic working there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

The inside of the boiler house was great, would be perfect for a bit of airsoft :D although being on the very top looking at an antennae did not help my hatred of heights.

The top of the boiler house rocks, lovely view of Galway Bay/Salthill/Clare Mountains

• Advertisement

Was a great spot to watch the planes flying around in the days coming up to the airshow as well. They used to fly very low over merlin park.

Advertisement