Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merlin Park Hospital

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Used to work in the maintenance department myself for a few summers. On a fine day it was probably the nicest place you could imagine working. Most people in the place were very easy to get on with too. The morning tea break was some craic.

Used to work in the maintenance department myself for a few summers. On a fine day it was probably the nicest place you could imagine working. Most people in the place were very easy to get on with too. The morning tea break was some craic.

Breakfast rolls all sides!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Jaysus lads we all prob know each other irl?? :eek: :confused:

You're right though, couldn't think of a better place to work for the summer. On the fine day's you'd have work for doing outside and on the sh1t days you'd be put doing something inside. Kind of an eye opener working in a hospital too - You'd get a wake up call when you'd be doing a job in wards, poor feckers crippled to the bed :(

Also loved that you weren't treated like dirt just because you were a kid workin' there for the summer - you actually got to do real jobs (as opposed to making the tea). I learned a fcuk load out there (mainly sparky and plumbing). Couldn't beat going for a game of pitch & putt after lunch either :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 twinkle_toes

there was a loose pony in there this morning.

tbh im a bit creeped out by the place cos i think i read it used to be a place for TB patients to go to die.

tbh im a bit creeped out by the place cos i think i read it used to be a place for TB patients to go to die.

A loose pony would only serve as entertainment... there's a few resident patients up there that go on the loose every so often :eek:

Yeah it was built as a TB hospital originally hence the scattered buildings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Best you keep away from hospices then! And old houses too, just imagine what's happened in some of them over the years.

Seriously, I think that some people with TB did recover, once antibiotics came on the scene. Isolation was more about keeping 'em away from other people.

JustMary wrote: »
    Best you keep away from hospices then! And old houses too, just imagine what's happened in some of them over the years.

Seriously, I think that some people with TB did recover, once antibiotics came on the scene. Isolation was more about keeping 'em away from other people.

I've done my time volunteering with old people - Some made you laugh, some made you cry, some made you want to be dead :eek:

Not sure what the story with TB was, never looked into it - I heard somewhere before that there were different stages of TB hence different units??

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Not sure what the story with TB was, never looked into it - I heard somewhere before that there were different stages of TB hence different units??

Yeah, the new/worst cases would come into one unit(not sure which one) and then be moved along as they improved until they were well enough to go home. The different units meant people who were nearly better had no contact with new cases etc.. I think unit 7 was the children's unit if I remember the story correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Magnus wrote: »
    Hopefully they'll put light in the intersection soon, it's a tricky one to get out from Merlin if you're turning right. I've know a person that was hit from the side there.
    The best thing to do if you're coming out of there in a car is to turn left, go up as far as the lights into Galway Crystal, turn right and then come back out and turn left to go into town. The main Dublin road is both busy and fast so trying to turn right out of Merlin park will take quite a while unless you get very lucky with a break in traffic.

Rather than putting another set of traffic lights in I would hope that if anything was to be done, the entrance to the hospital would be connected up with the existing set.

Advertisement