Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

disabled wheelchair galway volo boats

• 25-04-2009 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭

are there any disabled access on volo occeans boats

Im disabled you see and wouldn't mind looking at The Green dragon the galway boat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I have seen people hoisted onto similar boats but there is no room for movement as there are restrictions all over these boats so the person in the wheelcair would also have to be clamped down. The deck is not level all the way around because of the positions the crew have to take up. In theory somebody who was restricted to a wheelchair could be the navigator of such a vessel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hi coldwood92 and welcome. I checked www.galwayvolvooceanrace.com, www.oceanracegalway.com and www.letsdoitgalway.com but couldn't find anything.
    I'm going to move this thread to Accessibility & Mobility & Disability forum to get their input.
    Mods if you think it's better in Galway, bump it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

There is a lot of "sailing stuff" on the deck so even if you were lifted onto it, you couldn't get around much as sgthighway said...

Alt_VOR10426.jpg

However the boat'll be moored up along the dock wall I assume so you should get a good look at the boat from right beside and slightly above it. It was in the Galway dock last Summer and you could get a good look at it without boarding it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Is there any Failte Ireland funding for this event? If so, you could try asking them what they have done to arrange access for people with disabilities? I think there are also some disabled sailing groups round the country, so they might be able to offer some advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Guilty of pulling up an old thread i know, but I know of some people who availed of the opportunity to discover sailing with a disability. Someone may still be interested. On the pdf timetable of events you will see the time allotted to this:

http://www.letsdoitgalway.com/uplds/grid.pdf

And below is form the Galway Centre for Independant Living website (bit late, but!)

Accessible Sailing for the disabled
    The Volvo Ocean Race is coming to Galway in May. The Galway Sailing Club have made contact with Galway Centre for Independent Living to inform us that they have organized six two-man sail boats which have been adapted for people with disabilities. The boats will be manned by one experienced disabled sailor and they have asked that we get some people who would be interested in having a go to man the second seat.
    There is an information evening in Galway Centre for Independent Living office on Monday 27th April at 7:30pm. They will go through what is involved and dates for events etc.
    All are welcome to attend. If you require further information or you wish to book a place please contact Galway Centre for Independent Living office on 091 773910 or info@gcil.ie.
    April 24th, 2009

And finally:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

I would like to everybody for their imput
    ( i know this thread is ages old)

I didn't get to go on green dragon

And finally:

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Daverutter

Hi Folks.
    I hope you dont mind me jumping in but i have only just seen the thread. There was disabled sailing in Galway during the VOR with a fleet of Artemis 20's from the Even Keel Project in the UK they took about 80 people out, these boats are specifically designed for people with disabilities and there is a plan to try and get a full fleet in Galway on a permanent basis, have a look at www.theevenkeel.com and i know that Galway bay SC also tries to help with disbaled sailing by a guy called PJ. I hope that is of some help.

Thanks!

Advertisement