Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Road-NOT

Options
  • 25-04-2009 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I would just like to congratulate Cavan County Council for the "ramps" they have put on Cavan street Cootehill.They closed the road for 3 days to fix some potholes and actually without exaggaration made it ten times worse. What is worse again is that this is the main road from Dundalk, Carrickmacross to Cavan and they have made it a ONE-WAY section.
    Now we have been told there is "no money" for road repairs, but FFS how would there be when those idiots are wasting money making roads worse.Dont take my word for it, drive along this patch of road just at the end of main street cootehill as you go onto Cavan street and remember as you are driving-why oh why are we paying road tax?There is no justification for bad workmanship like this and whoever is responsible for it should be SACKED..:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

muincav wrote: »
    why are we paying road tax?
    No idea why you are paying this as there is no such thing as road tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Gadjodilo

Victor wrote: »

Pedantry: the last refuge of the asinine.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Motor Vehicle Tax then which is supposed to be used for the up keep of the roads......maybe you are one of the smartass people working for cavan co. council?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Motor Vehicle Tax then which is supposed to be used for the up keep of the roads.
    No, who said that? It goes into the Local Government Fund and is spent on a variety of local services.

No, who said that? It goes into the Local Government Fund and is spent on a variety of local services.

Pity they didnt spend some on the roads then...lol
    or should we all travel by bus or train......lmao

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Gadjodilo wrote: »
    Pedantry: the last refuge of the asinine.

Victor is a moderator of the Commuting and Transport forum. I would politely suggest you dissuade from directing comments like this (and the other one) at him when he participates in a discussion that could just as easily have been in the C&T forum. Especially when what he says is correct.

Victor is a moderator of the Commuting and Transport forum. I would politely suggest you dissuade from directing comments like this (and the other one) at him when he participates in a discussion that could just as easily have been in the C&T forum. Especially when what he says is correct.

Here we go again, "dont upset the mods".....we are all entitled to our opinion and he actually was NOT adding anything usefull to the thread and I suggest that if he hasnt anthing worthwhile to say apart from being sarcastic then he should ban himself from such thread until he does.

Maybe I will be banned, but that is my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Roads in general are a mess, especially after all the frost and snow we had a couple of months ago. I dont understand why motorists can get 5 penalty points if their car isnt NCT'ed because then it is assumed not road worthy well IMO the roads in the cavan/monaghan area arent road worthy!!

dlambirl wrote: »
    Roads in general are a mess, especially after all the frost and snow we had a couple of months ago. I dont understand why motorists can get 5 penalty points if their car isnt NCT'ed because then it is assumed not road worthy well IMO the roads in the cavan/monaghan area arent road worthy!!

Thanks dlambirl.
    There is one guy in the area who goes around at night painting yellow warning signs at potholes and uneven parts of the roads and then the council are so embarrassed by it that they usually do a makeshift job on them.The problem is that the said guy is quickly running out of yellow paint and hasnt got enough time to do all the potholes.....he has told me that there is some potholes that he has been painting yellow for more that ten years and the council just keep "patching" them up, more to cover the yellow EMBARRASSMENT. I was on a piece of road between Stradone and Tullyvin today and it probably has to be one of the worst road surface in the County, even though it was only about two miles long, the amount of damage done to a car driving that every day would be unbelievable...

That Hannigan fella??

Well i think its great whats he's doing. Not only is he highlighting the states of the road but also helps motorists avoid the bad parts of the road. The Sherock road coming into Cootehill is dreadful, not a great advertisment coming into a town with dreadful roads.

I know this is the Monaghan County Councils fault but the Shercock - Carrickmacross road is a joke! The road at one part is actually caving in and splitting and the council just keep patching the surface when it is clear that a much more severe job needs to be done. To avoid serious harm being done to your car you have to drive on the opposite side of the road for about 80metres and thats not safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭celt262

That Hannigan fella??

Well i think its great whats he's doing. Not only is he highlighting the states of the road but also helps motorists avoid the bad parts of the road. The Sherock road coming into Cootehill is dreadful, not a great advertisment coming into a town with dreadful roads.

I know this is the Monaghan County Councils fault but the Shercock - Carrickmacross road is a joke! The road at one part is actually caving in and splitting and the council just keep patching the surface when it is clear that a much more severe job needs to be done. To avoid serious harm being done to your car you have to drive on the opposite side of the road for about 80metres and thats not safe.

It's getting a bit ridicolous the amoung of that paint that is on the road now. He shouldnt be putting near bends on the road as it is causing drivers to swerve onto the wrong side of the road.

celt262 wrote: »
    It's getting a bit ridicolous the amoung of that paint that is on the road now. He shouldnt be putting near bends on the road as it is causing drivers to swerve onto the wrong side of the road.

The reason there is soooo much paint on the road just highlights the fact that the roads are in an awful state!!

The reason there is soooo much paint on the road just highlights the fact that the roads are in an awful state!!

There going to get worse aswell. The pothole lorry is never off the road now and all it does is fill potholes for a day. The driver of that lorry is one man who is sure off his job.

There going to get worse aswell. The pothole lorry is never off the road now and all it does is fill potholes for a day. The driver of that lorry is one man who is sure off his job.

The problem is that if the roads were surfaced properly in the begining then they would last a lot longer, you wouldnt have near as many potholes and you wouldnt need to patch them up as often, therefore saving time, money and labour. Also the POTHOLE MARKER would not have to look for yellow paint and YOU wouldnt have to swerve to avoid potholes as much.
    How many times have you seen a newly done road surface in some of our towns either being dug back up because someone "overlooked" something that should have been done beforehand. Or the council putting a surface on top of perfectly good road saying it is better for grip only for said surface to lift with the first heavy vehicle.

In the long run they are wasting money and its about time that those in charge were brought to bear for their mistakes.

The problem is that if the roads were surfaced properly in the begining then they would last a lot longer, you wouldnt have near as many potholes and you wouldnt need to patch them up as often, therefore saving time, money and labour. Also the POTHOLE MARKER would not have to look for yellow paint and YOU wouldnt have to swerve to avoid potholes as much.
    How many times have you seen a newly done road surface in some of our towns either being dug back up because someone "overlooked" something that should have been done beforehand. Or the council putting a surface on top of perfectly good road saying it is better for grip only for said surface to lift with the first heavy vehicle.

In the long run they are wasting money and its about time that those in charge were brought to bear for their mistakes.

The money isnt there now to resurface roads so what were getting is patching which is a waste of time. I dont know if you can blame anyone in the council for the money not been there its the goverment, the County Council can only do what they can with money allocated.

The money isnt there now to resurface roads so what were getting is patching which is a waste of time. I dont know if you can blame anyone in the council for the money not been there its the goverment, the County Council can only do what they can with money allocated.

Yes the money isnt there NOW-but they have had ample funds previously to do a proper job on most of the roads but they missused the money. So because the roads were NOT surfaced properly when they had the money they now will have to throw what little funds they have to repair shoddy workmanship.If that happened in a factory you would lose your job, would you not?

Yes the money isnt there NOW-but they have had ample funds previously to do a proper job on most of the roads but they missused the money. So because the roads were NOT surfaced properly when they had the money they now will have to throw what little funds they have to repair shoddy workmanship.If that happened in a factory you would lose your job, would you not?

There wasnt to many roads that were in bad condition when things were good. It was a very hard winter frost wise and this has caused roads to break up.

There wasnt to many roads that were in bad condition when things were good. It was a very hard winter frost wise and this has caused roads to break up.

Now I know you must be joking???
    That Hannigan man has been non stop highlighting the problem for nearly 20 (yes 20) years, so how can you say that the roads have been good? Just ask any lorry driver if you dont believe me.FACT

Now I know you must be joking???
    That Hannigan man has been non stop highlighting the problem for nearly 20 (yes 20) years, so how can you say that the roads have been good? Just ask any lorry driver if you dont believe me.FACT

Just because a man is going around with a tin of spray marking potholes it automatically makes all our roads bad?

If there was a Hannigan in every county im sure that he could get rid of plenty of his paint also. Cavan roads have being on a par if not better than any other county in this region the last 10 years.

What roads are you saying have being so bad, and dont go naming ones that have got bad lately because im fully aware of them.

Just because a man is going around with a tin of spray marking potholes it automatically makes all our roads bad?

If there was a Hannigan in every county im sure that he could get rid of plenty of his paint also. Cavan roads have being on a par if not better than any other county in this region the last 10 years.

What roads are you saying have being so bad, and dont go naming ones that have got bad lately because im fully aware of them.

There are too many roads to mention, so I wont even start.Judging by your responses you dont seem to get out on the roads too often and seem intent on coming on here to have an argument with someone! Just get out on any road apart from the cavan bypass and you will see for yourself.

• Advertisement

There are too many roads to mention, so I wont even start.Judging by your responses you dont seem to get out on the roads too often and seem intent on coming on here to have an argument with someone! Just get out on any road apart from the cavan bypass and you will see for yourself.

Im not looking for an arguement i though i was having a discussion about cavan roads but seen as you cant name these roads that are so bad we may leave it at that.

I know the roads are bad now i never said that they werent so why would i go out looking at them now? My arguement was that they were not as bad as you have been saying they are the last 20 years.

Advertisement