Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone learning off an irish essay called "Dioma"?

Options
  • 25-04-2009 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

it is about a lad going to africa to find work. ect
    and it is changable to fit a few sceal essay titles
    you would know it if you did it

apprently the department has copped onto it and and if you write it in the exam, you will get nothing for it.

not joking

sorry to the creator of the essay but i know somebody who corrects state exams and that was their instruction.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I think there's a Dioma essay in that Shortcuts essay book, which you can change around. Could be the one you're talking about!

I wouldn't touch the sceal with a bargepole though. I find it really difficult to maintain a story, in Irish, with relevant coherancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

They can only not give you marks if it is not relevant to the title, if it is obviously learnt off they wont be too forthcoming with the marks but I dont think they really expect many non-gaelscoilers to write much in the way of an essay off the cuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Actually, yes, my Irish teacher told us about that story a while ago. She said that an extreme amount of people had it memorised last year (She was correcting papers like).
    People just threw it down and it pretty much had no significance to the title, so a lot of them got 0, even if it was PERFECT grammatically and so on.

Steer clear of it I'd say, a lot of people all over the country have it done.
    And don't just stick down any old essay/ sceal, make it relevant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭hello_there_jim

our teacher said you'd still get marks if it was off topic as so many marks go towards irish and grammar!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

This may not be entirely accurate, but what I was told for Irish was that 80% of the marks go for Irish/Grammar etc, and 20% go for subject matter/relevance. However, if you say, only get 10% in subject matter, you can only get a maximum of 40% for Irish, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

This may not be entirely accurate, but what I was told for Irish was that 80% of the marks go for Irish/Grammar etc, and 20% go for subject matter/relevance. However, if you say, only get 10% in subject matter, you can only get a maximum of 40% for Irish, etc.

That's pretty much what my teacher explained to us as well.

In the Mock this year for example, my essay was a masterpiece in terms of grammar- oh, t'was beautiful. Only one, maybe two, grammatical errors tops.
    However, it wasn't as much about International Poverty as it was about The Recession.. so, even though it was beautiful and my grammar was pretty great (*Toots own horn*) I lost loads of marks on ábhar and ,ergo, lost loads of marks on gaeilge.

Last year's story titles were difficult- "Cur i gcéill", for example. A lot of students didn't even know what that meant and just threw down their "Díomá essay". ZERO!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

Warned also. Word has it that there's no opportunity to write the Díoma essay as the titles wont correspond to it in any way shape or form.

Advertisement