Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name of Irish Children's Sci-Fi novel

• 25-04-2009 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭

Trying to remember a book I loved when I was a kid, but Google is being no help

I think it was called something like Mothership. It was a story of a bunch of kids living on a space ship as they traveled back to Earth. One of the kids has discovered that the ship is actually a lot bigger than they though and explores the rest of the ship in secret. He finds out the shocking truth about the real mission of the ship yada yada yada :pac: (don't want to ruining it for anyone)

I think there was also a sequel when the kid leaves the ship in an escape pot to start a life on a new world

Ring any bells?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Dirty Dave

Wicknight wrote: »

I think it was called something like Mothership. It was a story of a bunch of kids living on a space ship as they traveled back to Earth. One of the kids has discovered that the ship is actually a lot bigger than they though and explores the rest of the ship in secret. He finds out the shocking truth about the real mission of the ship yada yada yada :pac: (don't want to ruining it for anyone)

I think there was also a sequel when the kid leaves the ship in an escape pot to start a life on a new world

Ring any bells?

Michael Carroll - The last starship? I remember a secret mission of the ship etc, but not sure about the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Wicknight wrote: »

Ring any bells?

I remember the book and tried to find the name of it before but couldn't at the time. Anyone I've mentioned it to just gave me blank looks :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Dirty Dave wrote: »
    Michael Carroll - The last starship? I remember a secret mission of the ship etc, but not sure about the rest.

No it wasn't that. This book is set entirely on the space ship. The shocking twist (TM) at the end is that
    the ship is not heading back to Earth, it is heading away from Earth because Earth is uninhabitable due to pollution and war, but the ship has been damaged and will never make it to the destination so the hero decides to leave with 2 others for a near by planet, the rest stay behind because they don't believe him and they think they are still going back to Earth. I think the sequel is set on the new planet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Ok, sorry to resurrect a nearly year old thread but I think I just came across this book and remembered that there had been this thread asking about it.

I think it's Mothership by Martin Duffy

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mothership-Martin-Duffy/dp/1897751001

I haven't been able to find a synopsis but the cover reminds me of the book, and I've ordered a copy for myself to find out if I'm correct.

Advertisement