Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Having an XX after your name

• 25-04-2009 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭

When people sign off their name in an email or letter with an xx or xxx after it, what are they saying?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Kisses & hugs. Allegedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

They are telling you their age Roman style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

Is it the done thing between platonic friends, or is it a possible hint that they like you that little bit more?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

qwert2 wrote: »
    When people sign off their name in an email or letter with an xx or xxx after it, what are they saying?
    Well... if the person's name has "labia" in it and the e-mail ends with 'xxx', it has a completely different connotation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Confab wrote: »
    Kisses & hugs. Allegedly.

Except where the name is Bollo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Is it the done thing between platonic friends, or is it a possible hint that they like you that little bit more?:)

usually platonic, with some people its a habit, in some instances it's a subtle come-on

does that help? :pac::pac:

xx:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

I'm with confab on this. Doesnt really mean much.
    That or this chick wants to have your babies.
    You decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

When wimmins sign off their name in an email or letter with an xx or xxx after it, what are they saying?

Fixed that for ya there.

Manly men don't be at that poncy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

usually its platonic qwert2... but since its you... i think she might be the one !!! xxx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

That they didn't even qualify for triple X stardom (but pretend to have) so the part went to Vin Diesel.
    (Even then he wasn't up for the part so the job then went to Ice Cube)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

It's just a thing that girls do to other girls and lads. It just means kisses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

you'll find the older the women get the less chance of a few xxs you'll get

a 17 year old: "see you soon XxXXxx!!x>?x :) xxx"

a 28 year old "see you, give me a ring soon"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Crackerspray

Me and the gangs general rules:
    x = friendly kiss
    xx= good friends
    xxx= to b/f, g/f or to someone you fancy
    XOX = kisses and hugs

Also depends a lot on the context of the message and how well you know the person!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pawrick

Ha one of my ex's was really weird about signing texts with xxx

used to cause crazy arguments if I forgot to send it back when returning a text as she thought it meant I didn't like her anymore!

x is generally for a friend from experience - some girls just add it to all their messages

xxx girlfriend/boyfriend

now the xx is a weird one - that same ex used to do that to let me know she was in a bad mood with me over something

(em you might have realised communication was an issue in that relationship!)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

How the hell are they going to pick that up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

pawrick wrote: »

now the xx is a weird one - that same ex used to do that to let me know she was in a bad mood with me over something
    ya think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

They are saying that their surname is xx or xxx.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's to distinguish them from nineteen of their ancestors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Dates back to telegraphs and morse code. It's a way of delineating the message. Like saying "over" when done talking on a walkie talkie. It's completely redundant now though but you know 16 year olds love their history so they're keeping it alive. STOP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

They are saying ' sorry I cant be there to kiss ya in person ' have these xxx instead ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

javaboy wrote: »
    Dates back to telegraphs and morse code. It's a way of delineating the message. Like saying "over" when done talking on a walkie talkie. It's completely redundant now though but you know 16 year olds love their history so they're keeping it alive. STOP

Ti's a kiss, no more no less.
    x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Ti's a kiss, no more no less.
    x

So is xxx a kiss on the willy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

So is xxx a kiss on the willy?
    It's all sucking these days .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

its girls

i know girls who say mwah mwah mwah instead of xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭g.quagmire

pawrick wrote: »
    Ha one of my ex's was really weird about signing texts with xxx

used to cause crazy arguments if I forgot to send it back when returning a text as she thought it meant I didn't like her anymore!

x is generally for a friend from experience - some girls just add it to all their messages

xxx girlfriend/boyfriend

Ya I think I was going out with her for awhile aswell. Texting should be banned. Girls are retarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Lol at this thread.

That is all.

EDIT: Note to self, learn from the mistakes of others... Don't ask sincere questions in AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

simple
    a single x is platonic . .anymore, i wanna shag you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

i know girls who say mwah mwah mwah instead of xxx

Ugh, give them a swift kick to the knee there for me will ya?

x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Adiboo wrote: »
    Ugh, give them a swift kick to the knee there for me will ya?

x

No, who are you ?

thanks for the kiss love :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

thanks for the kiss love :D

No problem sweetie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

The really reason dates back to our ancestors who could not read and write . Whenever they would sign something , they would make the mark of an X.

When someone puts an x or x's at the end it means they are celebrating they can read and write.

Now if you get a string or names at the end of your text that is just a blond who took the gesture up the wrong way

If you get a string of x's I would stop texting them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Lilyblue

General rules:
    x = friendly kiss
    xx= good friends
    XOX = kisses and hugs

Also depends a lot on the context of the message and how well you know the person!

Yes, would agree with this! I always use x, xx or xxx.

Lilyblue x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Me thinks It means kisses....doesnt necessarily have to mean the that you fancy the person though as Id put them on messages to anyone.....XXXX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

wylo wrote: »
    you'll find the older the women get the less chance of a few xxs you'll get

a 17 year old: "see you soon XxXXxx!!x>?x :) xxx"

a 28 year old "see you, give me a ring soon"

Or 'go fuck yourself' .. or 'whatever'... They work a charm for me, and give me a chuckle :pac:

Save the xx's for birthday cards. xoxox is handy when placed after something sarcastic, otherwise its a bit retarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

javaboy wrote: »

Hammertime?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

love, Malcolm

x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

knacker girls mainly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

knacker girls mainly?
    Hhahahahahahaha :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Early illiterates signed documents with a cross. They did so for an obvious reason. A cross was so simple to draw, and yet, being also a sacred symbol, implied the promise of truth. But to solemnly confirm further the veracity of what had been endorsed thus, the writer kissed his 'signature', as he was accustomed to do with the holy book. And that is how, finally, by its very association, the cross came to be identified with a kiss.

Dun dun dun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

My ex used to end all texts with an x. I always just took it to mean "end of message". No wonder I'm sh|t at picking up... eh... signals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dylano_k

Girls are mad about the x's at the end of a message, iv had girls im textin say to me..."how come ya dont send as many x's anymore" on a few occasions. Its like their little like-o-meter or something. xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

they are emo bastards :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭annabellee77

I've always thought of xx at end of text as kinda of a friendly kiss along the lines of a smile. You know the way when say goodbye to a friend and give them a hug or peck on cheek....just text equivalent. Think it may be over analysed here!!

One thing I don't understand is why people sign off the texts with their name!!!! I KNOW it's you, don't need to tell me :rolleyes::) (obviously doesnt apply if 1st time text, but after that........)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

If their name is Castlemaine they are probably just telling you how strong they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

xxOmunterOxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

XX = I want in your pants.

Definitely. Go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

connundrum wrote: »
    Fixed that for ya there.

Manly men don't be at that poncy stuff.

We don't?

xx..... oh I'll leave the last one out so. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I blame that Malcolm X bloke, ever since he started it people have tried to surpass his early efforts by signing off with a double or triple X. I do believe the Australians took it a step to far in having a quadruple X after their Castlemaine beer.

Advertisement