Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I just ignore the virus on my USB?

• 26-04-2009 12:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

Well I'm home after travelling for nine months and one of my usb sticks whcih contains my photos has a virus called Recycler. A quick Google search seems to confirm it's fairly common.
    Bascially it seems to be contained in its own folder and my photos are in different folders. It didn't infect the PC when I plugged it in but I didn't open the folder. Would it be possible I can just copy all the photos onto the PC and the virus would just stay on the USB stick?
    I have fairly basic skills so it might be a stupid question.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

cashback wrote: »
    Well I'm home after travelling for nine months and one of my usb sticks whcih contains my photos has a virus called Recycler. A quick Google search seems to confirm it's fairly common.
    Bascially it seems to be contained in its own folder and my photos are in different folders. It didn't infect the PC when I plugged it in but I didn't open the folder. Would it be possible I can just copy all the photos onto the PC and the virus would just stay on the USB stick?
    I have fairly basic skills so it might be a stupid question.

I'd first make sure you have a decent Virus scanner

Copy the Pictures to a pc, Scan them, then Scan the USB Key

Once you have the pictures off the key, i'd Just format it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭numbnuts

First of what, I’d do is plug in the memory stick find the drive right click on it and from the dropdown options select scan with say …

<snippity - not cool to link directly to an executable file - if you want to know what it was, google Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, the website was besttechie.net. - Majd.>

Paddy....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭numbnuts

numbnuts wrote: »
    First of what, I’d do is plug in the memory stick find the drive right click on it and from the dropdown options select scan with say …

if you want to know what it was, google Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, the website was besttechie.net. - Majd.>

Thers nothing wrong with that download .. Plug in the memory stick before you scan with Malwarebytes select all drives or right click the drive after you install and select scan with Malwarebes the drive ..

download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.

Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
    At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
    If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
    Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
    When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
    Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
    When completed, a log will open in Notepad.

Please save it to a convenient location. The log can also be found here: C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt

Paddy...

Advertisement