Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old chopper bicycle...

• 26-04-2009 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭

Hi,

I think this is the most appropriate forum for this question....

I have a really old chopper bicycle sitting in my shed. It's about 30-35 years old. It's quite rusty, and in need of a good clean to be honest.
    It hasn't been used in about 10 years.
    I'm just wondering...is there much of a market for old chopper bicycles?
    Or would I be as well off just dumping it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Perfect place... can you post a few pics???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Knifey_Spoony

Yeah, I'll take some photos tomorrow and post them up here.
    It's in pretty bad nick though...covered in cobwebs at the moment! :)

It was thrown into the skip today...but I decided to take it out again, on the off-chance that someone might be interested in buying it.

I'll post some photos tomorrow :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭it's mick

i'll have it if it's free ;)
    or maybe even just cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Theres a bike shop on Blackhall place, Stoneybatter that has choppers in the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

Check out ebay to see how much original chopper's sell for - a restorer may pay a good price for it. Get an idea before you start giving it away. Certainly not to be confused in any way with the retro ones on sale these days which don't even have the suicide gear change

• Advertisement

stuf wrote: »
    Check out ebay to see how much original chopper's sell for - a restorer may pay a good price for it. Get an idea before you start giving it away. Certainly not to be confused in any way with the retro ones on sale these days which don't even have the suicide gear change

I just had a look on ebay, but there doesn't seem to be any original ones on there.
    Would any of you know of any places in Dublin that restore old bikes?

I'll post some photos of it up here tomorrow.
    It's about 30 years old, blue...and rusty! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Ill take it off your hands if you are interested:) I wouldnt be willing to give much though:o But ill put a build thread up and im pretty sure i can get the original parts in off raleigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

I just had a look on ebay, but there doesn't seem to be any original ones on there.
    Would any of you know of any places in Dublin that restore old bikes?

I'll post some photos of it up here tomorrow.
    It's about 30 years old, blue...and rusty! :)

doubt there would be much of a market here in Ireland but worth looking here for links to people who might know:

http://www.rcoc.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

BostonB wrote: »
    Theres a bike shop on Blackhall place, Stoneybatter that has choppers in the window.

This place had a few other raleighs restored in the window maybe they know some where

Here are some photos of it.

...ignore all the crap in the background :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Here are some photos of it.

...ignore all the crap in the background :)

That isnt a RALEIGH chopper.:( sorry I though that it was, im not interested in it anymore:o

a fair bit of work in that, unless its sentimental or you REALLY want it and have alot of time and money I wouldnt go near it.

Class bike:cool:
    My mate in primary school had one, it was the coolest bike until he got a bmx!!
    god that takes me back

If you post this on adverts take new photos cos they go mad for 'i'll take the ladder', 'i'll take the bbq' etc...

You selling the miller btw? might pop over to look at the bike!!:D

anyway dont chuck it, sell it or do it up, shame to dump it.

Class bike:cool:
    My mate in primary school had one, it was the coolest bike until he got a bmx!!
    god that takes me back

If you post this on adverts take new photos cos they go mad for 'i'll take the ladder', 'i'll take the bbq' etc...

You selling the miller btw? might pop over to look at the bike!!:D

anyway dont chuck it, sell it or do it up, shame to dump it.

Hahaha, I forgot the beer was in the shed! :)

Yeah, I think I might give it an aul' scrub, and hold onto it.
    You're right, it would be a shame to just dump it.
    I might hold onto it a bit longer, and maybe sell it further down the line.

It's about 30 years old we reckon. It was our american cousins first, and then got passed onto our family, and did all three of us during primary school. We could fit 3 people onto the massive seat back then :)

Would most bike shops fix the breaks on it, and put new tyres on it?
    I might take it for a spin during the summer...if I can get the breaks fixed first :)

Yea, no bother I reckon, You could prob diy?

Cant see the tyre size but they may have to order them?? if so check the web first unless you trust your lbs...

Enjoy
    ruischopper.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

The Irish Chopper Club guys might be able to help you out. www.ircconline.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CD95

Please tell me you still have that bike lying around!!i'd love to get it and restore it

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

There was a fella on the CTC who did up an old chopper, modernised it and did LEJOG on it, here is his blog, it's quite indepth so I suggest you put the kettle on!

Advertisement