Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance learning? Yes or no?

Options
  • 26-04-2009 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Ok so I did my leaving cert last june, taking a year out, and currently working. I also did a FETAC level 5 last summer. I'm considering doing a distance learning course from home but I wanna hear from other people that are currently doing or have completed one of these courses to see what they think. I just don't want to waste so much money and as a lot of them have a deadline etc it could be difficult to get it completed around working hours. Thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

P.Bear wrote: »
    Ok so I did my leaving cert last june, taking a year out, and currently working. I also did a FETAC level 5 last summer. I'm considering doing a distance learning course from home but I wanna hear from other people that are currently doing or have completed one of these courses to see what they think. I just don't want to waste so much money and as a lot of them have a deadline etc it could be difficult to get it completed around working hours. Thanks :D

The answer is, it all depends.

The questions you need to answer for yourself are as follows:
    • who is the final award affiliated to? In other words, is it some crappy piece of paper awarded by some guy in a smoke-filled office, or is it a recognised qualification? (remember, anyone with access to a computer and a printer can print up a "diploma".)
    • what support structures are available? In other words, are you simply given a load of web pages to read? Or is there an assigned tutor to whom you can pose questions? Is there any kind of discussion group/web conferencing facilities?
    • any attendance requirements? You have to ask yourself how you can get a qualification in something without actually doing any practical work, would you have to attend labs/workshops/classes/tutorials?
    I did my degree through Oscail, an offshoot of Dublin City University, and while the material was generally pretty crap, and the support wasn't the best, it suited me due to the fact I was working shift, so couldn't attend regular class hours.

Plus I also lectured on a course that was primarily on-line, but had all of the features I outlined above, so I can vouch for the effectiveness of online courses, if they are done correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 P.Bear

The award is FETAC accredited. I think my biggest worry would be the deadline. Do you think the deadlines given on these type of courses are generous even for those working full time hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

P.Bear wrote: »
    Do you think the deadlines given on these type of courses are generous even for those working full time hours?

Speaking as a student with Oscail, yes, I was always notified well in advance as to when submissions were due.

Speaking as a lecturer, I always made sure to give at least 6 weeks notice of deadlines.

But again, it all depends on the course itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 catherin

hi, i am currently in 4th yr of 5yr P/T degree through NUIGalway and found that it is quite feasible as long as you keep on top of things and dont put it on long finger. I have full time job+children and could do it, so you can too. just make sure its somthing you really like or you wont have the interest in studying/working on it otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MPatel

Distance Learning can be a challenge as it requires serious self discipline and organisation, but it can also reap rewards in that you can develop these additional skills that you don't normally acquire in traditional courses.
    With regard accreditation FETAC is both nationally and internationally recognised so no worries there, but you already have your LC so you could possible look to doing a degree? To assess the quality of the materials you could ask about the delivery tools they use. With things like Blackboard, Moodle, Google groups, facebook, twitter, articulate etc. you should be given ample opportunity to communicate with tutors and students for support and to keep up to date with the materials.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement