Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CARLOW IN SEVENTIES

• 26-04-2009 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Lived in Carlow during the seventies and Archibolds pub (El Ruedo) was a favourite haunt. I remember seeing U2 there around about 1978. Anyone else remember those days. The Col, the Ritz and Mimes disco.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Well, I'd say I'm a little younger than you, but I remember several of your old haunts.

Archies was a major student place when I started in the Regional in '85.
    The Col was the only game in town when you wanted to go to the Pictures then, the Ritz, having shut down several years earlier.

As for Mimes, well that was one of my major haunts during the early nineties, till the Foundry opened.

BTW, did you go into the Tavern much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭paxo

Ah the sweet smell of nostalgia Carlow in the 70's, The Tavern, Reddies, Archies, Lennons the corner, for a drink. Cafe Roma for a feed. Oaks aka or the Carlow Lodge on a Thursday night or maybe out to Kilkee castle on a Sunday night if you were feeling lucky.. The youth center for indoor football, basketball and karate. The Col and the Ritz for movies
    :D
    Paxo

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tomloftus

I spent most of my youth in the tavern listening to their great jukebox.Anyone remember that huge bucket of ice in Carlow that they called a swimming pool, pure torture that was.

Yeah, never quite understood why they built an outdoor pool in Carlow, it's not exactly tropical. I learned to swim in that pool I remember diving for coins at the deep end from memory it was about 12 or 14 feet deep. Ditto on the tavern i remember the jukebox and there was a chipper on castle hill that used to do some interesting food, pigs trotters if my dementia isn't playing tricks on me

I remember that chipper, they used to call it greasy micks.Tasted great after a feed of pints.Health and safety not an issue back then.icon10.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭philog

nothing like a few pigs feet ,,,after a good night in d tavern.... greasy mick was a gas man ...r.i.p....never be hungry when mick was open ....thursday night in the lodge ...home in patsy whelans taxi for a pound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

tomloftus wrote: »
    Anyone remember that huge bucket of ice in Carlow that they called a swimming pool, pure torture that was.

oh my god i had completely forgotten about that!!! it used to be in the park?

its used to always smell of wee!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Too young to go but I remember Mimes nightclub. The Ritz was where Cosmo Browns is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

The Green Acres was another old skool nightspot, again too young to go but Ive heard lots about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I have vauge memories of the old pool, I remember it more so when it was closed down, the pool empty and the place all fenced off.

When you think of how much things have changed, the park area that used to be there when you'd come in off the Barrow track, used to be lots of grass area as well as the 'playing park' with the deadly horse!! :D. And the old stage that used to be there too, I know it was a bit of a dodgy area with wino's and all, but still.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

The Ritz was where Cosmo Browns is?

Correct. There used to be a ballroom at the back in me Dad's time.
    I rem it becoming the Ritz Roller Rink in the '80s, when roller discos were all the rage. Also it was Trumps Disco for a while. I was too young to go though.

Also I rem that there was a pub underneath the front building called the Cellar Bar. Too young to go to that too.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Ritz_Ballroom.jpg

Ritz_2.jpg

Looked like a classy place :p. Often heard my parents talking about it, seems it was the place to go back in the day, whether you were a cultured townie (like my dad :pac:) or a backward country girl (like my mom :p).

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlcar2/Carlow_images_20.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

they're great pics Croppyboy...where did you come across them??

i remember my mam talking about the Ritz too, apparantly big names in music at the time used to play there.

i also remember my older cousins talking about Green Acres when i was very young, although i remember going for breakfast there maybe 6/7 years ago and it was yummy :D

Less of the " in my dads time " I can remember going to dances / discos at the Ritz and at Green Acres. I also remember the youth center used to have bands playing there, I remember Bagatelle played and I think Clapton may have played as well, mind you this was the seventies and I could be mixing his gig up with another venue. I do remember some good bands at Archies though
    Paxo

Paxo you are right. Eric Clapton playedin the youth centre in 1981 and support that night were a band auto de fe. archies was great .I saw U2 there around 1977/78, Jimmy SLEVIN, and Girlschool.The Atrix. DC 9, Freddy White and many more.

tomloftus wrote: »
    Paxo you are right. Eric Clapton playedin the youth centre in 1981 and support that night were a band auto de fe. archies was great .I saw U2 there around 1977/78, Jimmy SLEVIN, and Girlschool.The Atrix. DC 9, Freddy White and many more.

Tom
    I don't remember U2 I might have been in the tavern that night, but I do remember Girlschool and I think the bogie boys played there as well
    Cheers
    Paxo

Jimmy Smith and the Bogey boys did indeed play Archies, O yes Carlow was rockin back then.

Advertisement