Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderation or lack of it on politics.

Options
  • 26-04-2009 2:29am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

Can someone please step up to the plate and moderate this forum.
    We have the case of a thread being taken way of its original topic, posters alowed to troll and posts whatever bigoted nonesence they have in their head.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055540600

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

This thread should be in the helpdesk forum.Did you report the post?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Yea, I reported a 2 posts but nothing done. Its locked now anyway, thank god!
    Maybe someone can close or move this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Scofflaw summed it up.

If you can't handle someone who has an opposite view to you, you really shouldn't be on an internet discussion forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

jank wrote: »
    Yea, I reported a 2 posts but nothing done.
    That's incorrect.

One of your reports had an action taken as a result. The other one didn't. As forum moderators, it's our decision to take an action or not. We're entrusted with that for the good of the forum and the good of the users as a whole.

As GuanYin (in this thread) and Scofflaw (in the Politics thread) have both said, you may not like the views of some people on Northern Ireland but they're as free to make their views as any other poster usually is on the Politics forum. It's not a love-in for people with views that all agree. It's a discussion forum. Opposing views can, should and will be encouraged as long as I'm moderating that forum and, I suspect, for eternity after that.

Moving this to Help Desk by the way.

Spectre, sorry. I did not know that an action was taken on one of my reported posts. I was not privy to this information. I have not heard anything back regarding the reported post. If this is the normal case then perhaps a suggestion would be some feedback. I am not sure about the practicalities of this but it is a suggestion.

Sorry GuanYin and Spectre but the moderation on that thread was crap. If the attitude of the mods is to just let the plebs of both sides fight it out and eventually call a halt and say "right folks until next time, thread closed". That’s not modding, that’s giving up.

I am all for discussion, with a different range of opinions. I have been on this site for enough years to know that. There are times where I will not agree with someone but they are entitled to their opinion. I am not a sensitive soul and have not made this complaint before. If I have a problem someone with an opposing view then it doesn’t make sense for me to wait 7 years to complain about it on an internet forum!

However, I do have a problem with the posts that have nasty sectarian overtones that adds NOTHING to the thread. Just a taste.

The Irish Joke is alive and well and it's name is boards.ie
    Did I say otherwise? I tell you what Gruffalo, why don't you actually read the posts prior to responding and then you won't look like the archetypal thick mick

And so on...

At best it’s breaking the charter of civility or trolling, at worst its racism.

Is it acceptable to call someone a Paki? Funny thing is that used in different ways I think it is OK. The media storm when Prince Harry called his army friend a Paki was a strom in a tea cup as he used the term in a non-demeaning way. Anyway he had to appologise for it.

Same as being called a Mick. But if there is aggression, nastiness used with the word then it of course the racial overtones cannot be ignored. That is why such words are so iffy about being used. The context is more important than the word. Anyway one can see that the context is let’s said more negative than positive.

By the way I am not the only one with this view point judging by other posters on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Same as being called a Mick. But if there is aggression, nastiness used with the word then it of course the racial overtones cannot be ignored. That is why such words are so iffy about being used. The context is more important than the word. Anyway one can see that the context is let’s said more negative than positive.

By the way I am not the only one with this view point judging by other posters on this thread.

Other posters on this thread? What other posters? Nerin, sceptre you and I are the only posters here.

Regarding the posts you complained about here. Report the posts. It isn't rocket surgery.

Finally, why do Irish people think they are a separate race? You are a nationality and a culture, but you are not a race.

GuanYin wrote: »
    Other posters on this thread? What other
    posters? Nerin, sceptre you and I are the only posters here.

Sorry, I ment the other thread we were talking about.
    Regarding the posts you complained about here. Report the posts. It isn't rocket surgery.

Thanks for being helpful.
    Does a post have to be reported before a mod does something about it or can a mod act on their own?
    Finally, why do Irish people think they are a separate race? You are a nationality and a culture, but you are not a race.

I didn't. Anti-Irish racsim in the States and the UK is well documented.
    What would you call it? If there is a better word then by all means use that. However, apart from being pedantic the point still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Does a post have to be reported before a mod does something about it or can a mod act on their own?

Mods don't have to, and physically often cannot, read every post. It's up to a user to take responsibility to report what they are offended by.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Does a post have to be reported before a mod does something about it or can a mod act on their own?.

Considering the size of this site, how would it be possible for any Mod to have the time to read every single comment?
    All mods rely on the users in their forum to report posts which they consider against the charter.
    That is how this site functions.
    What would you call it? If there is a better word then by all means use that

For want of a better word, xenophobic.
    We are not a race unto our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

We have the case of a thread being taken way of its original topic, posters alowed to troll and posts whatever bigoted nonesence they have in their head.

It's a thread about Northern Ireland, it's one of those topics that brings out the bigot in people, similar to abortion etc. No amount of moderating is going to change people's behaviour and strength of opinion on these kinds of topics. We'll ban anyone for abuse etc but expecting a thread on NI to go as smoothly without vociferous disagreement between people who are refusing to hear each other's points is just being naive to be honest.

We can ban them for abusing each other, what we cannot do is make them listen to each other unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Considering the size of this site, how would it be possible for any Mod to have the time to read every single comment?
    All mods rely on the users in their forum to report posts which they consider against the charter.
    That is how this site functions..

I understand that. Ill report the said posts so "officially".

Beruthiel wrote: »
    For want of a better word, xenophobic.
    We are not a race unto our own.

We can use that word then so. Many Irish who lived in Britain in the 60's to the 80's would disagree with you though. But I am not here to argue the pedantic's on what constitutes racism. However, what happened is still against the site boards.ie charter.
    It's a thread about Northern Ireland, it's one of those topics that brings out the bigot in people, similar to abortion etc. No amount of moderating is going to change people's behavior and strength of opinion on these kinds of topics. We'll ban anyone for abuse etc but expecting a thread on NI to go as smoothly without vociferous disagreement between people who are refusing to hear each other's points is just being naive to be honest.

We can ban them for abusing each other, what we cannot do is make them listen to each other unfortunately

That is fair enough nesf. I am not looking for miracles where these threads will go and change someones opinion and we will all dance a merry dance. In fairness I have been on here long enough that some threads will be like that. An other example are the Israel/Palestine threads. There will always be strong and heated debates about these topics.

However my grip is with the xenophobic tone of a poster and how it went un moderated for so long. Check my sig for this posters mindsight on Ireland. By the way if someone said the same thing about the UK or NZ I would be posting the same gripe. This is boards.ie not BNP.co.uk combat18.co.uk or republican.net

Anyway ill leave it take its official course.

Advertisement