Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

scanning services

• 26-04-2009 9:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭

I hope this is ok to post

I am looking at setting up a very high quality scanning service

using a a hassleblad level scanner etc

I am interested in if people would use the service.

I know repro 35 do this kind of scanning, but I am able to do it at a very reduced rate.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Hey Steve, sounds good.

Would it be a 'cover all' scanning, where you'll do everything from say, A4 documents to negs?

I think the other side of it, which you might find yourself, is the time doing this can consume. It's just something to be wary of. In addition, people can be well fussy about this kind of thing, you'd be well off to have a form for customers to fill in, saying exactly what DPI they're wanting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

ya al

i have two kind of thngs in mind

i have the chance to get my hands on a flextight scanner for negs - so would do 35mm and 120 with that and then 5*4 & 10*8 on my epson V750pro

I know what you mean about sooo many options, so would offer 2 or 3 options as for size

Also most of the repro houses do retouching s part of the scan, i am going to offer it as an option as most people want want it.

In terms of time, its just another computer sat doing something, so i can be printing or mounting while the scan is actually happening etc

what kind of price would you pay for a very high quality scan of either 35 or 120?

i am interested to see if my prices would match what people expect to pay

2 - 3 options would be grand, and re-touching as an extra - Don't forget to count interpolation (to extra large sizes) as an extra too tbh.

True enough about being able to work away while the scan is in progress - We usually just end up faffing about the scanner for the day. I usually bring a good book :-/

Are you talking about a single image on a neg, or a whole neg, pricewise? I think Gunn's are doing 'high resolution' ones for about 10-15 quid (It's been a while) For BW 120, that's about 11mb, afaik. Think it's 4-5mb files for 35mm. I'm not too sure how their system works though. On the other end of the scale, drum scans (With 120) are going for between 50-80 quid. I've never enquired about 4x5, purely because even getting it developed is bloody awkward and pricey, nevermind scanning it, so just do it all myself, as crude and all as it is.

What size files are you thinking of? Coupled by whether you're charging by single neg or a whole neg.

Also, another request you're going to be hearing a lot of is actually cleaning the negatives before use - A lot of folk looking to get theirs negs scanned have found them in the attic or in boxes - I know you have the option of using the fluid mounting, but you're going to come across some pretty filthy negs too!!! Just another thing to think about.

for 35 i am thinking of files around 20mb

for 120 i am thinking around 50mb

the scanner is more akin to drum scans than a cheap flatbed scanner

the cleaning i was thinking again almost as an option, as some people will be good at sorting their negs and others wont

so in terms of price i was thinking more like around 25 -30 euros for a high res scan on a scanner that costs like 10K

Aye, I know the scanner. 25-30 for the highest would definitely work out ok for those file sizes.

Cleaning the negs would defo be an extra.

Next question is, when are you starting? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Just out of interest what resolution would say a 35mm film be when scanned at 20mb?And also the DPI?

This is just me being nosey really :pac:

i could start very soon

like in the next couple of weeks

the scanner can do something like 7000 dpi or something

at some point al i need to get a poster etc to you to stick up in college

Advertisement