Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford in ww1, lookups available

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭enfeild

Regards.
    Tom.This is all I have on this man;
    THOMAS, JAMES. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment. Unit; 7th ( South Irish Horse ) Bn. Date of Death: 21-March-1918. Service No: 1981. Born in Barntown, Co Wexford. Enlisted in Wexford. Killed in Action. Grave or Memorial Reference: He has no known grave but is listed on Panel 30 and 31 on the Pozieres Memorial in France.

Here is a readout from the 1911 census that might help you.
    Residents of house number 20 in Townparks, part of (Rural) (Wexford Rural, Wexford)

Surname Forename Age Sex Thomas James 30 Male Thomas Mary 32 Female Thomas Kate 7 Female Thomas John 5 Male Thomas Joseph 4 Male Thomas James 1 MaleRegards.
    Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ijapdafydd

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robert.bolger/

this is a link to the Maesteg War Memorial compiled by Robert Bolger which gives some details of the men killed in the Great War.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CarolKeo

Would you be able to look to see if there is a James Leary/O'Leary listed please? Thank you

He is listed both as Leary and O'Leary.
    LEARY/’LEARY, JAMES. Rank: Stoker 1st Class. Regiment or Service: Royal Navy. Unit: H. M. S. "Formidable. " Age at Death: 28. Date of Death: 01-January-1915. Service No: 310039. H. M. S. "Formidable. " Was struck by a torpedo from German Submarine U-34. 20 minutes later she developed a list of 20 degrees and the Captain ordered the crew to abandon ship. Darkness and a 30 foot swellmade it difficult to get the boats into the water and some fell in to the sea upside down. 25 minutes later the Formidable was struck again by a torpedo and after about an hour or so she looked like she would capsize.
    The Captain and his terrier dog were calmly organising the crew to abandon ship when it capsized and turned over on many of the men in the water. 347 of her crew died including the Captain and his little terrier. Supplementary information; Son of James Leary of Wexford and the late Elizabeth Leary. From and article in the ECHO newspaper; LOST WITH THE “FORMIDABLE. ”On Wednesday morning Mr Jas Leary Faythe, received notification that his son, James, who was a stoker on HMS Formidable, blown up in the Channel, was amongst the members of the crew who were missing.
    From an article in the Enniscorthy Guardian, 1915. …. Mr James O’Leary, son of Mr Jas. O’Leary, of Castle Hill Street, Wexford who also went to his doom on the same occasion. Mr O’Leary was a splendid type of young fellow who had a very promising career before him. He was leading stoker on the ill fated ship, and was held in the highest regard by his superior officers. A few weeks prior to his death he had rendered great assistance in the work of rescuing he survivors of the ‘Bulwark’ in Sheerness Harbour. In the town of Wexford the news of the sad death was learned with feelings of unfeigned regret, and much sympathy is felt for his family in their bereavement.
    Grave or Memorial Reference: 11. Memorial: Chatham Naval Memorial UK.
    There is a picture of him included with the above.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

Just wondering if you had any info on Tom and or John Gill. Three brothers I think the third is William. Tom was to have died in France/Belgium, from Newbahn Wexford .Othe r brother wounded and went to America. Asking on behalf of friend. Thanks in advance. He thought they might have been in the Ulster Fusiliers.

• Advertisement

I can see why he thought he was in the Ulster Fusiliers(no such unit) The Inniskillings (nickenamed the 'skin's) are an Ulster Regiment although southern lads joined them also.
    GILL, JOHN JOSEPH. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. Unit: 7th Bn. Formerly he was with the Royal Dublin Fusiliers where his number was13131. Age at Death: 22. Date of Death: 21-October-1916. Service No: 8/25750 and 25750. Born in Newbawn, Co Wexford. Enlisted in St Helens while living in Wexford. Died of Wounds. Supplementary information; Son of John Gill of Ballyclemock, Newbawn, Wexford. Grave or Memorial Reference: III. A. 253. Cemetery: Bailleul Communal Cemetery Extension ( Nord ) in France. [/FONT]
    There is a picture of him the papers and in the book.

Some snippets from the Wexford Papers;
    Private Gill, Ballyclemock, Newbawn is home from the front where he took part in several engagements. He received a number of wounds, and has been compelled to wear glasses on account of injuries received to his eye.[/FONT]
    During the present week, Mr Gill, of Ballyclomack, Foulks Mills, received notification from the war office of the death in action of Lance Corporal John J Gill, Inniskilling Fusiliers. Lance Corporal Gill, who comes from a family which has given several members to the army, was 22 years of age. Private William Gill, Irish Guards, 23 years of age, has been in all the recent severe fighting on the Somme front, but so far escaped unscathed. He joined the army prior to the beginning of the war. Private Martin Gill is at present in hospital in Liverpool recovering from the effects of a severe wound received in the big push.
    Private Martin Gill, who is 19 years old, has already been severely wounded on three occasions. He has been through the whole campaign in France since the commencement of the war.

Regards.
    Tom.

Thanks very much. Really appreciated. Just wondering where the book will be available for purchase. Thanks again and keep up the good work.

You can order it from Easons, on Amazon or any book shop. Although it will be launched on December 5th it may be available a fews days before that. It is 'The Wexford War Dead, Published by Nonsuch Publishers,isbn 978 1 8458 8964 7.
    The image quality of Lance Corporal Gill was not good enough for publication so I include it here for your reference.
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clondaleek/21-1.jpg
    Regards.
    Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

My grandfather fought in WW1 and his brother in law from his first marriage died in the war. His name was Bernard Monaghan from enniscorthy. Any info would be greatly appreciated... BTW my grandfather's name was John McDonald

MONAGHAN, BERNARD. Rank: Private ( Acting Corporal ). Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment. Unit; 2nd Bn. Date of Death: 24-May-1915. Service No: 4087. Born in St Marys, Enniscorthy, Co Wexford. Enlisted in Enniscorthy. Killed in Action. Berney Monaghan, a native of Shannon, Enniscorthy, has died as the result of gas poisoning at the front. His parents and relatives were informed of the sad event on Thursday morning. The deceased, who was only a little over 20 years of age, enlisted in the Royal Irish Regiment after the outbreak of the war, and prior to that he had been employed at Mr George Lett’s, the Brewery. Grave or Memorial Reference: III. C. 2. Cemetery: Roeselare Communal Cemetery in Belgium.

• Advertisement

There were 4 Wexford McDonalds killed in ww1, Edward, Enniscorthy, James, Kilrush, Peter Wexford Town and William from Riverchapel.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

Wow enfield thanks

I cant believe you got that info so quickly:eek:

Its from the book.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Should anyone want photos of the graves (or commemorations) of these men, digital and hard copies are available from the War Graves Volunteer Photographic Project at a nominal charge. If the grave is not yet photographed, every effort will be made to get someone out to do it.

Volunteers always welcome to help with the work.

Link doesn't seem too work. I appreciate the effort. Thanks again.

Tom

Can you please provide me with any information you have on John Barry?

Thank you.

BARRY, JOHN. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Dublin Fusiliers. Unit: 7th Bn. Age at Death: 26. Date of Death: 07-December-1915. Service No: 17986. Born in Kilmore Quay, Co Wexford. Enlisted in Maesteg while living in Hereford. Killed in Action in the Balkans. Supplementary information; Son of the late John and Bridget Barry of Neamstown, Kilmore Quay, Wexford. Memorial: Doiran Memorial in Greece.

There is a nice picture of him in the book also.
    Regards.
    Tom.

Thank you Tom

can you please supply me with details of how to purchase the book, i will notify intersted organisations e.g south wales western front association, & some south wales publications e.g Western Mail (national newspaper) & Glamorgan Gazette (local newspaper). There are many people in South Wales with strong links with Wexford.

You can order it anywhere in the world, yes even on amazon from December. It will be all Easons here in Ireland and all Wexford bookshops I dont wonder. A quick search on the net for Wexford War Dead and Burnell and you should find a place nearer to you that can order it. There are a few other books in that range coming out within the new few months, Cork, Waterford and Offaly. Clare, Kilkenny and Laoise after that.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

Tom

was John Barry related to Michael Barry 52569 2nd Welsh died 23 July 1918 or/ and William Barry AB HMS Agincourt died 2 April 1916? Both men like John Barry were from Kilmore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 dooner

What a great thread some one doing the research and willing to share
    Good luck to all with your research

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

If you check the census you may find the information you need.
    'William Barry AB HMS Agincourt died 2 April 1916'? There is only one William Barry who died on that date in the Navy, he was on the HMS Vivid and he is buried in Cork.
    Son of Frances Barry, of 35C, Halidon St., Homerton, London, and the late Edward Barry.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Thanks for that very interesting and a huge help to me. I must say I find it hard to understand why a country man from wexford would go to fight in ww1.

Believe it or not, up until 1916 British and Irish relations were probably at there best under British rule. Many people went off to join the Brits in WW1 as it was viewed it would help us achieve Home rule and Redmond himself asked volunteers to go if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

ijapdafydd wrote: »
    Thank you Enfield, what were the names of the other 5?

here's a list of the 31 names of the men who died in WW1 & are rememberd in the church of Our Lady & Saint Patrick in Maesteg:

John Austin, Francis Banks, John Barry,Thomas Blake, James Breen, Thomas Burns, James Busher, Maurice Patrick Casey, Thomas Casey, Timothy Coleman, Martin Coullton, James Colston, Wiliam Conway, Jeremiah Cosgrave, William Joseph Cotter, Martin Ducey, John Duffey, Thomas Foley, James Hyde, Michael Keane, Michael Kelly, Thomas Lawton, Patrick Lyons, John McGrath, Richard T Melbourne, Thomas Managhan, John Murphy, Richard O'Brien, Hugh William Riley, Thomas Weston, William White.

Maesteg has a close association with Ireland, particularly with county Wexford, and many hail from Kilmore. At least 20% of the town's population are either Irish or from Irish ancestry.

Hello,

Would you be able to give me the information on William Conway?

It would be much appreciated.

CONWAY, WILLIAM. Rank: Lance Corporal. Regiment or Service: Connaught Rangers. Unit; 6th Bn. Date of Death: 09-December-1916. Age at Death; 27. Service No: 9694. Born in Baltinglass, Co Wicklow. Enlisted in Naas while living in Baltinglass, Co Wicklow. Killed in Action. Supplementary information; Son of Peter and Annie Conway, of Baltinglass, Co. Wicklow. Grave or Memorial Reference: G. 15. Cemetery: Pond Farm Cemetery in Belgium.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

enfield wrote: »
    CONWAY, WILLIAM. Rank: Lance Corporal. Regiment or Service: Connaught Rangers. Unit; 6th Bn. Date of Death: 09-December-1916. Age at Death; 27. Service No: 9694. Born in Baltinglass, Co Wicklow. Enlisted in Naas while living in Baltinglass, Co Wicklow. Killed in Action. Supplementary information; Son of Peter and Annie Conway, of Baltinglass, Co. Wicklow. Grave or Memorial Reference: G. 15. Cemetery: Pond Farm Cemetery in Belgium.

Thanks, it was actually the wrong person though. I was looking for an uncle of my granny. She has talked about him a few times but the name escapes me.

'She has talked about him a few times but the name escapes me. '
    try again when the name is recaptured.
    Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 chicklick

Tom
    Any idea where I could find the names or information on POW'S from wexford during ww1?

There are some reports of POWs in the Wexford newspapers of the time. I had checked them against the lads who died and then passed them by. If your relative survived and was a POW at some time then you should join ancestry and surf the pension records. If they were a POW it would say so. Ancestry is having a special offer, 2 weeks free. Warning...it IS adictive.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 chicklick

enfield wrote: »
    There are some reports of POWs in the Wexford newspapers of the time. I had checked them against the lads who died and then passed them by. If your relative survived and was a POW at some time then you should join ancestry and surf the pension records. If they were a POW it would say so. Ancestry is having a special offer, 2 weeks free. Warning...it IS adictive.
    Regards.
    Tom.
    Tom
    Whats the full address of the ancestery website? been on a few bit didn't find them very helpful

Advertisement