Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford in ww1, lookups available

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 debi1958

Hi
    Hoping you can help with my G grandfather named Patrick Berry whom I believe died in WWI in Palestine. Is he listed ? Lived in Wexford and was married with 4 children (including my Grandmother) Having trouble locating information about the family for research. Many thanks

There were 5 Berry's died from Wexford in ww1.

BERRY, PATRICK. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment.
    Unit; 1st Bn. Date of Death: 08-December-1917. Service No: 7638. Born in Bride Street, Wexford. Enlisted in Wexford. Died of Wounds in Palestine. From an article in the People, 1917; News has reached Wexford during the week that Private Patrick Berry, Back Street, Wexford. Who was serving in the Royal Irish Regiment has been killed in action.
    He had been at the front for the past three years. He served in the Boer War, and in 1915, he volunteered again, and went through several big engagements. He leaves a wife and four children to mourn his loss. Another brother, Private Richard Berry, was killed four months ago. See Richard below. Grave or Memorial Reference: Grave or Memorial Reference: G. 21. Cemetery: Ramleh War Cemetery in Israel.

BERRY, RICHARD. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Dublin Fusiliers. Unit; 1st Bn. Date of Death: 20-August-1917. Service No: 16990. Born in Wexford. Enlisted in Wexford. Killed in Action. Age at Death; 23. Supplementary information; Son of John and Mary Berry; husband of Ellen Donohoe ( formerly Berry ) of 10, Summer Hill, Sandy Cove, Kingstown, Co. Dublin. See Patrick Berry above. Grave or Memorial Reference: Has no known grave but is commemorated on Panel 144 to 145 on the Memorial; Tyne Cot Memorial in Belgium.

Regards.
    Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 debi1958

Thanks Tom - you are so wonderful doing this service for people. I think this may be my Patrick Berry, so I am very grateful to you as I had hit a brick wall. All I know is that my GGmother remarried after 1915 and being a RC I assumed Patrick had died due to very few RC divorces back then? Also she had 3 siblings - all seems to tie in. He must have left for war in the year she was born maybe having never even seen his new born. Sad.Thanks again - hoping one day I can read your book and even better visit Wexford.

Aussie Deb

Hello Aussie Deb.
    Richard Berry was his brother, and Richards wife, Ellen, remarried after he died. The 1911 and 1901 census are now online so that may be your next port of call.

Glad to help.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Tonycos

I have been out of circulation for some time but today i came across Jack Hayes your grandfather and in turn gave me some more info on my grand uncle jeremiah cosgrave, We have no photo of him at all and we always wondered what he looked like. If you have any suggestions as where to look i would be so garteful.

Many thanks

Anthony Cosgrave

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dog n Bone

hello tom. any information on peter hughes wexford. army no 11590.ie d.o.b or age when killed.also where born if poss. thanks

HUGHES, PETER. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Irish Guards. Unit; 1st Bn.
    Date of Death: 08-May-1918. Service No: 11590. Born in Camolin, Co Wexford. Enlisted in Dublin, Co Dublin. Killed in Action. Grave or Memorial Reference: B. 10. Cemetery: Ayette British Cemetery in France.

thank you very much for that . my name is peter hughes from camolin origionally.my fathers name was peter . we think he may have been a cousin or uncle of my father.my father was born in 1905.is it possible to find how old this peter was when he was killed and where he lived in camolin ie townland or parish. once again thank you for your reply.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Dog n Bone wrote: »
    thank you very much for that . my name is peter hughes from camolin origionally.my fathers name was peter . we think he may have been a cousin or uncle of my father.my father was born in 1905.is it possible to find how old this peter was when he was killed and where he lived in camolin ie townland or parish. once again thank you for your reply.

Dog n Bone have you tried here http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/about/index.html

• Advertisement

hi scaller.thanks. will give that a try

Advertisement