Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unofficial Bus Strike...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭googlehead

whippet wrote: »
    as a private, un-unionised worker I am at a total loss as to how anyone can defend the actions of any workers who refuse to work for their employer when a majority voted for the changes.

Bus drivers who are earning an average of about €50k per year refusing to drive a slightly different route from the day before should be sacked, not suspended.

In these economic times, I do and have to do anything that my employer asks of me – not to keep my job personally, but to ensure the viability of the company itself who is employing me.

These drivers work in a cocoon, historically protected by unions, the threat of strikes and farcical social partnership – in my opinion they are greedy scumbags. They probably sit in their subsidised canteens, eating their subsidised breakfasts / lunches / dinners, demanding more overtime to pay for their second holiday while giving out about the greedy developers and bankers who have crippled the economy … they are no different, these leeches feeding off taxpayers money and refusing to accept any blame for the massive hole in the government purse.

Let them strike, don’t pay them, get the army in to drive the buses, let private operators take up the routes … then see how long they will hold up the pickets when they don’t have their overtime to pay the mortgage on that apartment in Bulgaria which they can’t rent out and probably blame the government for!!!!

A rude awakening is around the corner. Bus drivers are semi-skilled workers and their pay and conditions should reflect that.

Now … I sit back and wait for the backlash .. but I am just calling a spade a spade as I see it !!!!

great post,

bunch of unskilled over paid scumbags. i have qualifications and i worked hard to get them, although i or anyone i have worked with in a similar job to me gets no were near 50k a year, and to top it all i was laid off like a lot of people in this country.so now i am on the dole and i could possibly lose my house, which i had to bust my balls for like most people , my car lies in the driveway as i cannot afford the tax or insurance anymore, i am getting more and more into debt and i have had to ask my parents for money for food last week, and then i see scum like this on tv.bunch of greedy F*cking wa*kers. get the army in to drive the buses. life is not fair it really isn't.

i was told last september that i had to take a pay cut to stay in work. a big pay cut at that, nearly a 3rd of my wages. and i did it because i didn't have a choice. until i was told no more work in november. this stuff is laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

To any DB drivers posting here:

If you want the people on your side, dont strike.

Use your stupid "agreed procedure" to address the problem.

Suck up the new timetable for a week until your "agreed fekin procedure" is reviewed by all the beardy fools from the unions and the LRC.

If its not sorted then, you have a union sanctioned strike, which DB and Noel Dempsey all steer clear of.

Wildcat strikes are the equivalent of taking a dump on your own dinner.

Idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭dub_commuter

Use your stupid "agreed procedure" to address the problem.

That would be hard when the company is refusing to follow them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

Des wrote: »
    Are you a striking Bus Driver?

at this point in time: NO.
    but i dont know whats happening, i know what went on in harris in the last unoffical strike and T.B.H. if it spreads to other garages and in this case it looks like it has ,it's scaring the **** out of me. i like alot of other drivers are playing this one by ear.
    do i think what they're doing is right.
    my answer is yes and no. yes in the fact that there should be some form of action be it a work to rule or something similar but as far as i'm aware you need a ballot on that.
    NO. for the intimdation and criminal damage being done ( if this is true by the way).
    do i think what management is doing is right.
    NO .as i stated they could've substituted the 128 for another one from a different garage or held all new schedule changes back till 10th may but still introduce the route elimations.
    my name is mud you said "Drivers holding the customers up for ransom is stupidity at the highest level."
    we are no different to taxi drivers, nurses, teachers and anyone else that strikes unoffically.
    before anyone asks where i'm based ,as you can imagine for obvious reasons i cannot divulge that infomation.

Solution: Suck up the new timetable for a week until your "agreed procedure" can address the problem?

Drivers: No, i'll take a shit on myself, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

we are no different to taxi drivers, nurses, teachers and anyone else that strikes.
    before anyone asks where i'm based ,as you can imagine for obvious reasons i cannot divulge that infomation.

You'll find that nobody has any sympathy for taxi drivers or teachers either.

Particularly if the teachers were to one day get up and strike en masse because one of them was asked to cover a sick teacher's class one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

my name is mud you said "Drivers holding the customers up for ransom is stupidity at the highest level."
    we are no different to taxi drivers, nurses, teachers and anyone else that strikes unoffically.
    Yes, and they get the same backlash too :)

Fair enough, and fair play for posting here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Apparently all morons have gone back to their duties bar the bigger morons in Harristown. They were probably only looking forward to a lie in this morning.

Solution: Suck up the new timetable for a week until your "agreed procedure" can address the problem?

The agreed procedure has been broken. The agreed procedure is discuss first, implement later and always has been. How can they use the agreed procedure when it already has been broken. The drivers have not broken any agreed procedure, however management have.

bluewolf wrote: »
    You'll find that nobody has any sympathy for taxi drivers or teachers either.

I have zero sympathy for Taxi drivers, particularly when most of the guys wanting to stop new entrants in are the ones who benefited from the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Do you reckon many people in the Real World have had disagreements with their employer? And of that body of people, do you reckon they simply didn't do something that they didn't agree with? No, in the Real World, you will find a significant number of people do what they are paid to do, and use whatever proper, agreed upon, legal methodologies of conflict resolution that is open to them.

For in the Real World, people know that if they piss off their employer, they may not remain in employment too long. And if they piss off their customers, well, the company won't be in business too long either.

That's what happens in the Real World.

Jip wrote: »
    Apparently all morons have gone back to their duties bar the bigger morons in Harristown. They were probably only looking forward to a lie in this morning.

link?

I have zero sympathy for Taxi drivers, particularly when most of the guys wanting to stop new entrants in are the ones who benefited from the same.

Post of the day. :D

With a large helping of irony. That really made me smile. :D

Thank you.

The drivers have not broken any agreed procedure

The whole "driving a bus" procedure maybe?

Im talking about an official strike. You need to give a 7 days notice yes?

So, why dont you SUCK UP THE TIMETABLE FOR 7 DAYS, while Jack O'Connor talks about his beard for a week and serves strike notice on DB?

Noel Dempsey dosent like it when you go down that route (pardon the pun)

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    No, in the Real World, you will find a significant number of people do what they are paid to do, and use whatever proper, agreed upon, legal methodologies of conflict resolution that is open to them.

I totally agree. Dublin Bus management said they would use the proper agreed upon methodologies of conflict resolution that is open to them on Sunday, but when it came down to it, they did not do this and instead suspended a driver rather than using the rules THEY agreed with the staff.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Do you reckon many people in the Real World have had disagreements with their employer? And of that body of people, do you reckon they simply didn't do something that they didn't agree with? No, in the Real World, you will find a significant number of people do what they are paid to do, and use whatever proper, agreed upon, legal methodologies of conflict resolution that is open to them.

For in the Real World, people know that if they piss off their employer, they may not remain in employment too long. And if they piss off their customers, well, the company won't be in business too long either.

That's what happens in the Real World.

:p:p:p

these people live in the twilight zone.or is it narnia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

i've just been told all garages with the exception of harris have gone back to work, again how true this is i dont know. it was on 98fm's news at 11

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I totally agree. Dublin Bus management said they would use the proper agreed upon methodologies of conflict resolution that is open to them on Sunday, but when it came down to it, they did not do this and instead suspended a driver rather than using the rules THEY agreed with the staff.

Wonderful selective quoting, I salute you. A skill used quite tactfully by our Union Comrades to provide their completely unbiased view of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

we are no different to taxi drivers....

Really, I thought they were self employed, and striking is equivalent to not opening the shop.....

• Advertisement

As I said to other people, read all of my posts. You will find I have slagged drivers off on numerous occasions in the pat - I have no hidden agenda.

one time in the canteen at work, they ran out of Kitkats for a whole day,looking back i should have gone on strike.

i've just been told all garages with the exception of harris have gone back to work, again how true this is i dont know. it was on 98fm's news at 11

But Harristown is still out, and this still affects a huge number of people.

Winning nobody over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭jaybird

MiniD wrote: »
    This has now spread to Harristown, Clontarf, Summerhill, Phibsobro, Broadstone and Conyngham Road. RTE News are reporting that drivers have smashed windows of buses and intimidated drivers from other garages who are still working.

How anybody can support these drivers is a disgrace.

This is not true. It is a complete and utter lie, no windows have been broken on a single bus, anyone who did that would be fired on the spot, and probably arrested. This did not happen. It is malicious misinformation by Dublin Bus and the media.

Drivers are not being intimidated into not working. Many of the drivers want to go back to work, but are strongly unionisied and the culture of the job is that you don't cross a picket, they support each other.

Management broke the labour court rules, and normal work practice, simple as.

jaybird wrote: »
    This is not true. It is a complete and utter lie, no windows have been broken on a single bus, anyone who did that would be fired on the spot, and probably arrested. This did not happen. It is malicious misinformation by Dublin Bus and the media.
    You were there were you.

Why should we believe you rather than the meeja?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It is malicious misinformation by Dublin Bus and the media.

The forum you need is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Des wrote: »
    You were there were you.

Why should we believe you rather than the meeja?

She's right about no windows being broken though.

According to this article: http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0428/dublinbus.html, they missed.

Drivers are not being intimidated into not working. Many of the drivers want to go back to work, but are strongly unionisied and the culture of the job is that you don't cross a picket, they support each other.

Woo hoo hooo, they're all out to get ya !

If drivers want to go back to work why dont they ? It's an unofficial strike so therefore there should be no problem with them doing so, correct ? Unless of course you're going to suggest that drivers who do would face intimidation and abuse from the dossers, that doesn't happen does it ?

• Advertisement

Case in point right here ^

If managment broke all the rules like you said, why didn't the drivers go down the official union channels for conflict resolution? That would have brought better public sympathy, right?

The drivers have shot themselves in the foot with this.

The whole notion of leaving the customers stranded will do nothing towards getting the people on side.

Advertisement