Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unofficial Bus Strike...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The first 40C leaves terminus at 8.50,
    Which is correct. Only this morning, it didn't.

I was at my regular stop from 8.45 until 9.05, because the 40A actually arrives at my stop at any time between 8.50 (which means it has left early for some arbitrary reason or other) and 9.00, always a different time each morning.
    and the second at 9.40, I imagine you got the second one then?
    I didn't wait around for the 9.40 one, I would have been fired. I walked to the 40A bus stop and got the 9.05 40A, which arrived at the very same time as a 40D.

I was fifteen minutes late for work.

Thank you Dublin Bus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭dub_commuter

Des wrote: »
    Ah yes, the new practices are being blamed by drivers, didn't see that one coming at all, nice try, but as I've said, the 40C arbitrarily and without warning is cancelled on a fairly regular basis. Has been for the last year since I started using it.

Well you can look forward to 10th May then, when in managements wisdom, the 40C will no longer existed and be replaced by route 240 which is a shuttle within Finglas.

Or can you walk to the 40A stop or another service?

Sorry, find that very hard to believe.

It did happen, I heard the call myself.

They were his very words.

"I don't know luv, sure I don't even know if I'll be alive tomorrow"

Customer Services: +353 (01) 8734222 | Depot: Harristown | Depot No.: 7031103

Is the second number the manager's number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

MOH wrote: »
    And fair dues to you. Anyway, unless you're on any of the routes that were pulled this week you're not on my craplist, although I do apologise in advance to any drivers I'm rude to who weren't involved.
    no i wasn't involved, this was asked of me already and again i can say no, i'm not from harris
    I get that, and that there's a longer stopping distance for a bus than a car, but there's no excuse for accelerating through lights when it was perfectly possible to stop. And trying to make up time due to being late isn't a valid one.
    well if a drivers doing this theres only one thing they have at heart and thats the passengers that are waiting for a bus going the opposite direction, the likes of poor des that calls us **** every time he posts here becuase his bus was either late or didn't turn up
    alot of people out there think (a) a bus is made out of rubber,if they hit it they'll be fine (b) they think an indicator is a right of way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

But I have been nice. I've always been nice. And in return the muppets in Harristown have given me 3 days without service (this time round, plus the last time). So I'm not going to be nice any more - that seems fair to me.

I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about the guys driving along having an extended chat with someone they know.

If I ring the bell too late and the driver doesn't stop, I never blame them. I do though when I've rung the bell in good time and they've failed to stop, either due to being to busy chatting to someone or not hearing the bell and telling me I didn't push it hard enough (:confused:)

And fair dues to you. Anyway, unless you're on any of the routes that were pulled this week you're not on my craplist, although I do apologise in advance to any drivers I'm rude to who weren't involved.

I get that, and that there's a longer stopping distance for a bus than a car, but there's no excuse for accelerating through lights when it was perfectly possible to stop. And trying to make up time due to being late isn't a valid one.

That's another one to add to the list then.

Yep, agree with all that.

May as well pull all Nitelinks then.

Agree with that, mostly, although if drivers stop people stuck in traffic on sweltering buses from taking a drink, they're only going to end up with bigger problems to deal with when someone faints. Or barfs.

Oh no. God forbid drivers get strict on that one.
    (actually, does that technically mean you can spit onto the vehicle once you're not on it? Odd.)

Oh no, I can no longer play my portable turntable at high volume.

Again, you think it would be a bad thing if drivers got strict on that?

Eh no, it wouldn't mean no use of MP3 player - just not at high volumes that are audible to others. Which is fine by me.

So, great then!!

Off you go but you will only be annoying yourself and at the end of the day shooting yourself in the foot.

LMAO that you would consider reporting a driver for stopping at a stop with parked cars but please do it. I would love nothing more than for all drivers to completely end the practise of stopping at blocked stops as end of the day it is the only thing that will eventually bring it to a head and force the Gardai to actually enforce the law in this area.

• Advertisement

i'm not from harris
    des that calls us **** every time he posts here

I was referring only to Harristown Depot.

It was the only one that affected my life.

And I stand by it.

They have pissed me off for four days now.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Sorry, find that very hard to believe.

here is a copy of the email, i sent to Dublin Bus - strangely enough, i never received a response even after a number of follow up calls and email

Sent: 12 February 2008 10:00
    To: BAC Public Affairs
    Subject: 40C

Dear Sirs,

I get the 40C from the Ratoath Road every morning, from St. Margaret’s to Parnell Street (8.50am) and from Parnell Street in the evenings (either 16.35pm or 18pm)

Last week not one of these buses turned up. This is an extremely limited bus service and for 1 one bus not to turn up causes major hassle and delay. I telephoned your office on Friday morning and was told someone would call me back. They never did. I telephoned call yesterday and was once again told someone would call me back. So I again, telephoned today and a girl put me through to the garage.

I spoke to a gentleman in the garage, who refused to give me his name. He was extremely rude and told me that he wasn’t working last week and how would he know is the buses were running last week. He told me that he “could not guarantee that he would be alive tomorrow never mind if the bus would turn up” and if it didn’t it was not his problem.

I feel extremely frustrated and angry at this situation, as this is the only bus which services this part of Finglas.

I really feel that we need a more frequent bus service and also a services which goes to the Southside of the city. I am starting to believe that the lack of buses to the Southside is a money spinner for Dublin Bus. I have noticed that you have put on a new bus route servicing Hampton Wood to Leeson Street. Are we not entitled to this service as well? Or is only for people in the “new apartments” and to hell with the original parts of Finglas.

I would appreciate a response at your earliest convenience

I was at my regular stop from 8.45 until 9.05, because the 40A actually arrives at my stop at any time between 8.50 (which means it has left early for some arbitrary reason or other) and 9.00, always a different time each morning.
    Well obviously as this is not the terminus it could depend on traffic lights, traffic or a number of other things. The only time Dublin Bus publish is the time it leaves the terminus, there is no fixed time for it to arrive slewhere so I fail to see your point.
    I didn't wait around for the 9.40 one, I would have been fired. I walked to the 40A bus stop and got the 9.05 40A, which arrived at the very same time as a 40D.
    Well bearing in mind you know that you are having this problem reguarly, why not get a 40A before the 8.50 40C? Thats what I do, you know there are problems with this service, and you have an option to get the 8.35 40A if you really want to.

Nobody is forcing you to get the 8.50 40C, if your that close to the 40A stop you have other options so if you get fired then whilst DB should be ensuring the bus get there, it's not like you don't have other options.

Ah yes, the new practices are being blamed by drivers, didn't see that one coming at all, nice try, but as I've said, the 40C arbitrarily and without warning is cancelled on a fairly regular basis. Has been for the last year since I started using it.

I will do when I have my lunch break from work, thanks to Dublin Bus Drivers, I am afraid to leave my desk for any other reason.

The 40C at 8:50 is the first 40C but not the first journey that bus does the bus is out on the road somewhere stuck in traffic. If it regularly does not turn up then it is poor scheduling which is not any drivers fault.

What do you want drivers to do about bad schedules???

It did happen, I heard the call myself.

They were his very words.

"I don't know luv, sure I don't even know if I'll be alive tomorrow"

Customer Services: +353 (01) 8734222 | Depot: Harristown | Depot No.: 7031103

Is the second number the manager's number?

Managers number is on the website in the contact us section, not on the timetables. There was me thinking the two posters were two totally seperate people who had no connection with each other.

Obviously I was wrong.

• Advertisement

, if your that close to the 40A stop you have other options so if you get fired then whilst DB should be ensuring the bus get there, it's not like you don't have other options.

this is what is wrong with this country, if it isnt working just ignore the problem and find an alternative.

This bus route exists and it is timetable to be somewhere at a certain time. it should be there.

Well obviously as this is not the terminus it could depend on traffic lights, traffic or a number of other things. The only time Dublin Bus publish is the time it leaves the terminus, there is no fixed time for it to arrive slewhere so I fail to see your point.
    My point is that unless they have a matter transporter like in Star Trek there is no way a bus leaving the terminus at 8.50 could be outside my house at 8.50. I don't live in the terminus. It leaves early some days, in a seemingly arbitrary fashion.

Well bearing in mind you know that you are having this problem reguarly, why not get a 40A before the 8.50 40C? Thats what I do, you know there are problems with this service, and you have an option to get the 8.35 40A if you really want to.
    Because surely to christ they should stick to the published timetables? What's the point of having a 40C 8.50 Service if people are going to be told to get another bus, sure this one might not even come, we published the timetable for a laugh.

Then Dublin Bus complain that not enough people are using the services?

We bloody would if they were in any way reliable.

Talk about a circular argument.
    Nobody is forcing you to get the 8.50 40C, if your that close to the 40A stop you have other options so if you get fired then whilst DB should be ensuring the bus get there, it's not like you don't have other options.

Quite.

Managers number is on the website in the contact us section, not on the timetables. There was me thinking the two posters were two totally seperate people who had no connection with each other.

Obviously I was wrong.

We live together.

Is that a crime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

hmmmmm i wonder.
    what would happen if i went over to des's threads and started calling his posters tools ,muppets and ****. how long would i survive before i'd be banned.
    probably worth a try, ohhh i would be crazy enough to do it by the way before a smart reply comes back.:D

Managers number is on the website in the contact us section, not on the timetables.

Thanks for that

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Contact-Us1/Garage-contact-details/

Harristown
    Garage Manager Garage Phone Number
    Donal Keating (01) 7031104

I'll be calling the bould Donal at my earliest convenience.

Wonder if he'll be "out".

shltter wrote: »
    Off you go but you will only be annoying yourself and at the end of the day shooting yourself in the foot.

Exactly. And the Garda traffic corps are the biggest waste of space ever, never bother enforcing anything and make matters worse, at some locations you may as well not bloody have bus lanes as the Garda traffic corps sit back and let them get violated.
    I was referring only to Harristown Depot.

Maybe that is your feelings, but when I swear on this forum I get an infraction?
    here is a copy of the email, i sent to Dublin Bus - strangely enough, i never received a response even after a number of follow up calls and email

You are wasting your breath contacting HQ, they have no clue of how to handle queries like this and have absloutely zero knowledge of the routes the 40's serve, and believe Toberburr and Tyrellstown are part of North Finglas.

You would be better off contacting garage management rather than the people in HQ who have absloutely no idea what is going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Des, in all fairness you had options, some people don't have a few routes at their disposal so if they miss one bus, they have to wait for the next one on that route and can mean they are very late. I have to get up quite early to get my bus because if I wait for the next one, I will be dead late.

I wish I was waiting till 8.50 to get my bus instead of the one I get!

hmmmmm i wonder.
    what would happen if i went over to des's threads and started calling his posters tools ,muppets and ****. how long would i survive before i'd be banned.
    probably worth a try, ohhh i would be crazy enough to do it by the way before a smart reply comes back.:D

Seriously.

If my posts offend, there is a "report post" function (report.gif) to bring it to the attention of the forum Moderators, so if they deem action necessary, they can take it.

Sent: 12 February 2008 10:00
    To: BAC Public Affairs
    Subject: 40C

Dear Sirs,

I get the 40C from the Ratoath Road every morning, from St. Margaret’s to Parnell Street (8.50am) and from Parnell Street in the evenings (either 16.35pm or 18pm)

Last week not one of these buses turned up. This is an extremely limited bus service and for 1 one bus not to turn up causes major hassle and delay. I telephoned your office on Friday morning and was told someone would call me back. They never did. I telephoned call yesterday and was once again told someone would call me back. So I again, telephoned today and a girl put me through to the garage.

I spoke to a gentleman in the garage, who refused to give me his name. He was extremely rude and told me that he wasn’t working last week and how would he know is the buses were running last week. He told me that he “could not guarantee that he would be alive tomorrow never mind if the bus would turn up” and if it didn’t it was not his problem.

I feel extremely frustrated and angry at this situation, as this is the only bus which services this part of Finglas.

I really feel that we need a more frequent bus service and also a services which goes to the Southside of the city. I am starting to believe that the lack of buses to the Southside is a money spinner for Dublin Bus. I have noticed that you have put on a new bus route servicing Hampton Wood to Leeson Street. Are we not entitled to this service as well? Or is only for people in the “new apartments” and to hell with the original parts of Finglas.

I would appreciate a response at your earliest convenience

Check the Dublin Bus customer charter they are supposed to respond to written complaints

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/About-Us/Reports/Customer-Charter/

Check the Dublin Bus customer charter they are supposed to respond to written complaints

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/About-Us/Reports/Customer-Charter/

lol, the Dublin Bus charter probably also says that they will stick to timetables.

If they can be bothered.

• Advertisement

this is what is wrong with this country, if it isnt working just ignore the problem and find an alternative.

This bus route exists and it is timetable to be somewhere at a certain time. it should be there.

I'm not disputing that, I'm simply saying it's not a valid reason for getting sacked, if you know that you are being late on a regular basis, you will make efforts to ensure that does not happen, even if it means getting up 20 minutes earlier and walking to a different stop a few minutes away.

If not you're just too lazy.
    My point is that unless they have a matter transporter like in Star Trek there is no way a bus leaving the terminus at 8.50 could be outside my house at 8.50. I don't live in the terminus. It leaves early some days, in a seemingly arbitrary fashion.

So how can you say it leaves the terminus early or late if you are not there to see it. On my regular route I get on the terminus at both ends and it always leaves on time, but traffic is very variable and COUNTLESS people acuse the drivers of leaving early or late when either the traffic is light or is heavy.

What do you expect the driver to do, think he is getting somewhere ealrier five minutes than yesterday, so he will stay there for five minutes. Then somebody will moan about the bus waiting for five minutes. But yesterday I seem to remember you moaned about buses waiting when they are early, now you are moaning that they are not?
    Because surely to christ they should stick to the published timetables? What's the point of having a 40C 8.50 Service if people are going to be told to get another bus, sure this one might not even come, we published the timetable for a laugh.

Of course they should stick to the public timetable, I am not disputing that however it is not a valid reason to claim you are being sacked for.

That is poor scheduling which is outside the drivers control.

lol, the Dublin Bus charter probably also says that they will stick to timetables.

If they can be bothered.

To be honest I have zero faith in that charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Just to make things clear, Pink Fluffy Bunny, in that email you said that bus is the only bus serving your area but I thought Des said that he went to get a 40A so how can the 40C be the only bus serving your area then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

I have noticed that you have put on a new bus route servicing Hampton Wood to Leeson Street. Are we not entitled to this service as well? Or is only for people in the “new apartments” and to hell with the original parts of Finglas.

This was the sort of concept tried out in the 1990s with the CitySwift branded buses. The timetable frequencies looked great - 'A Bus Every Six Minutes' or similar. The only problem was that in many instances, DB amalgamated several existing routes into one CitySwift, resulting in a 'Round-The-Houses' scenario where buses would go on a mystery tour of almost the entire local area before hitting the main road.

If DB start extending the 140 (Hampton Wood-Leeson St.), they run the risk of repeating the same mistakes. If they did, you'd end up with a service like the abominable 39, which is a tour of Blanch for three-quarters of an hour before even getting out onto the Navan Road.

We live together.

Is that a crime?

A sin maybe :p

So how can you say it leaves the terminus early or late if you are not there to see it. On my regular route I get on the terminus at both ends and it always leaves on time, but traffic is very variable and COUNTLESS people acuse the drivers of leaving early or late when either the traffic is light or is heavy.

Because the bus is scheduled to leave at 8.50

It is physically impossible for it to be outside my house at 8.50, which it sometimes is, even in the lightest of traffic, because I live about a five to ten minute drive away from the therminus, traffic dependent, I certainly don't live 0 Seconds from the terminus.

Unless Dublin Bus can travel at the speed of light

angel01 wrote: »
    Just to make things clear, Pink Fluffy Bunny, in that email you said that bus is the only bus serving your area but I thought Des said that he went to get a 40A so how can the 40C be the only bus serving your area then?

the 40C is the only bus that services my area of Finglas. I want to get another bus, i have to walk 20 minst to another area of finglas.

Finglas is divided in the following areas

Finglas,

Finglas South

Finglas West

Finglas East

St. Margarets Area

i live in Finglas, this is the only bus that services this area

If they can be bothered.

What do you want??

You seem to only be interested in abusing drivers for things that are completely outside their control, when you are offered any assistance you throw it back.

• Advertisement

A sin maybe :p

:pac:

Don't you dare judge me

Advertisement