Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

confused about iphone, help please :)

• 26-04-2009 10:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

ok first off apologies if this isnt the right place for this thread, and if so do feel free to move :D

im just a mess of confusion right now regarding the iphone.

really want one, but have heard a new one is coming out so i think i will wait for that.... but until then i want to know a bit more about the iphone as i dont no much and i dont no anybody who owns one.

what way does the iphone work? does it just pick up on local wifi so if its unsecured, or you have the password you can use that? is that the only way to use the net on it, or is there something to do with 3g regarding the internet as i have been searching this site and came across something about being able to use 3g network in the dublin area. i dont really understand this though, is it free, or do you pay for that? is it just for iphones locked to o2, or can unlocked ones pick it up also?

thanks guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

You can connect to any open WiFi network or any secure WiFi network that you have the password for (the iPhone prompts you when you try to connect).

You can also use the web on an EDGE or 3G connection, which you get in pretty much any populated area in the country. I think the O2 contracts give you 1GB of data transfer on EDGE/3G per month and this is billed as part of the monthly commitment.

The latest version of the 3G is locked to O2 and cannot be unlocked, although you can buy SIM-free (unlocked) versions from Italy and a couple of other European countries.

You can bet that the next model will be locked to O2 too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

so just to clarify, if i buy an iphone unlocked and put say a meteor sim into it, the 3g internet wont work right? ill have to just use wifi??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Meteor only have 3G in Dublin and Cork at the moment. You will be able to access the web on EDGE and WiFi anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

Meteor only have 3G in Dublin and Cork at the moment. You will be able to access the web on EDGE and WiFi anywhere.

at the risk of seriously annoying people here with my stupidity i have to ask..... how do i get it to work with 3g when im in dublin? is it as simple as unblocking and putting in my meteor sim? or do i need to buy something as an extra/ be a bill pay/get settings sent etc.??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭Stanzen

really want one, but have heard a new one is coming out so i think i will wait for that.... but until then i want to know a bit more about the iphone as i dont no much and i dont no anybody who owns one.

Anyone able to advise on this question? I'm in the same dilema, really want one but don't want to get a 16gb and then a 32gb comes out 2 months later!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

at the risk of seriously annoying people here with my stupidity i have to ask..... how do i get it to work with 3g when im in dublin? is it as simple as unblocking and putting in my meteor sim? or do i need to buy something as an extra/ be a bill pay/get settings sent etc.??

You are thinking too hard about the iPhone. :)

Remember, it's a phone, just like any other phone. So it supports all the standards (e.g. WiFi, 3G, EDGE, gprs, etc.) like all other phones.

It is locked to O2, so you can only use it on other networks if you unlock it. There is one caveat, though. There is a certain piece of internal software that you cannot unlock yet. This seems to apply to all newer iPhones, so it's caveat emptor - buyer beware. The only way you can tell the version of this software is if you turn on the phone. The only way you can turn on the phone, is to buy it. :) So you could end up with a phone that you cannot yet unlock.

So, to answer your question you can use it on 3G Meteor if you unlock it and if 3G Meteor is in your area.
    Stanzen wrote: »
    Anyone able to advise on this question? I'm in the same dilema, really want one but don't want to get a 16gb and then a 32gb comes out 2 months later!

Nobody can answer that question, apart from a few techies in Apple. It certainly looks like there will be a new phone, and there are a lot of factors as to why June/July would be a very good time to introduce a new phone, but Apple are being quiet about it as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    It is locked to O2, so you can only use it on other networks if you unlock it. There is one caveat, though. There is a certain piece of internal software that you cannot unlock yet. This seems to apply to all newer iPhones, so it's caveat emptor - buyer beware. The only way you can tell the version of this software is if you turn on the phone. The only way you can turn on the phone, is to buy it. :) So you could end up with a phone that you cannot yet unlock.
    quote]

Was thinking of buying an iPhone but cant get that much info on it. Its new and will be able to turn it on before buying it. What should i be looking for to see that i will be able to use it with my 3 sim card.
    Thanks

Advertisement