Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

c compiler

Options
  • 26-04-2009 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭

hi all,
    i'm trying to learn the c language for a college course but haven't been able to find a compiler i can use at home. can anyone tell me where i can download one that works? tried borland but it downloads & then does nothing. thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

gcc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

what do you mean it does nothing? it doesn't compile code files or doesn't have a nice ide to work in. try this Dev++ http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

its a c and c++ ide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭cactus jack

as in it goes through as if it's installing but all it does is create folders but no program to work with.
    thanks for the 2 links i'll try them out later today.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Try the Dev-C++ IDE as another poster mentioned - Eclipse is also good but may be too complex if you're a beginner.

What compilers (if any) are you using in the lab in college?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Red Alert wrote: »
    Try the Dev-C++ IDE as another poster mentioned - Eclipse is also good but may be too complex if you're a beginner.

What compilers (if any) are you using in the lab in college?
    DevCPP is no longer supported and a bit buggy at times.

Code::Blocks is the newest one around using MinGW - might as well start off with this. It is very good.

http://www.codeblocks.org/ - have fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Visual C++ Express Edition.
    Link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Webmonkey wrote: »
    DevCPP is no longer supported and a bit buggy at times.

Code::Blocks is the newest one around using MinGW - might as well start off with this. It is very good.

http://www.codeblocks.org/ - have fun.

:) I wish people would stop recommending Dev C++

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Try turboC++

very basic, but it does the job

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

KDevelop with gcc - free and open source. I haven't used it under windows, but no problems under Linux. Interface is not as smooth as Eclipse, but its easier to get up and running quickly with it.

was using the visual c++ express edition in college the other day, very easy to use. but downlaoded it at home & can't find the option to build & then run the exe created file. is there something i'm missing?

• Advertisement

Strange, did you try pressing F5. However, you should still see the option in the menu.

tried it but nothing, before it was into tools then build & run exe file but there's nothing there now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Hi,

Visual C++ Express available free from Microsoft.com will compile all C programs and its free!!!

that's the program i used in college, but when i downloaded it the build & run options seem to have disappeared

Can you throw up a screen shot because that is a very strange problem. I have never seen actual menu's dissapear, whatever about tool bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

was using the visual c++ express edition in college the other day, very easy to use. but downlaoded it at home & can't find the option to build & then run the exe created file. is there something i'm missing?
    Did you definitely create a console application when creating the new project?

It's been over a year but F5 should do it (or ctrl + F5 comes into my head for some reason).

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭stephenlane80

you can use gcc with cygwin on windows or nativly on *nix

you can use gcc with cygwin on windows or nativly on *nix
    Or even beter, MinGW

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

SharpDevelop is good. I find gcc and cygwin a pain to set up on windows. It's easier to use a free VMplayer, install ububntu or debian on it and use GCc on that.

You can also use gcc NATIVELY with Windows as long as you only doing console and not X programming. MS Unix Services for Windows. Add the right 3rd party Xserver and you can run local or remote linux/unix apps seemlessly in Explorer. But since using VMware + Debian I'd never go bback to either of those solutions.,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Note, if you are in a supported college, Microsofts DreamSpark will allow you to download professional editions of Visual studio 05/08 XNA3 and such for free.

• Advertisement
Advertisement