Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Little Advice,

• 26-04-2009 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I have no experience with Photography but i am interested in getting into it, Looking for some advice on what to buy, I would manly be using the Camera For Rugby Match, action shots etc anyone give me advice on something cheap but effective?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

depends on budget:

what games do you plan on covering - if its local games on a sat/sun afternoon you might get some nice pics - but you will need to know what you want first.

Do you want someone scoring a try ? and celebrations ? , running and tackling ? line outs (from behind the thrower) ?

different types of pics require different positions on the pitch and often times different lenses.

if you plan on shooting in stadiums with floodlights you'll probably get better shots with bigger lenses (400mm f2.8 etc).

Anyway for your local game in daylight - you want a camera that can take a couple of frames per sec (FPS) and a decent lens or zoom (75-300mm or 300mm f4) ....I'd recommend a 40D and 75-300mm (but I only know about Canon cameras...so have Canon blinkers on) ..... there are plenty of other cameras/lenses out there which could/would do the same job (probably cheaper)

Best of luck - remember Boardsies are here if you need any advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

PCPhoto wrote: »
    depends on budget:

what games do you plan on covering - if its local games on a sat/sun afternoon you might get some nice pics - but you will need to know what you want first.

Do you want someone scoring a try ? and celebrations ? , running and tackling ? line outs (from behind the thrower) ?

different types of pics require different positions on the pitch and often times different lenses.

if you plan on shooting in stadiums with floodlights you'll probably get better shots with bigger lenses (400mm f2.8 etc).

Anyway for your local game in daylight - you want a camera that can take a couple of frames per sec (FPS) and a decent lens or zoom (75-300mm or 300mm f4) ....I'd recommend a 40D and 75-300mm (but I only know about Canon cameras...so have Canon blinkers on) ..... there are plenty of other cameras/lenses out there which could/would do the same job (probably cheaper)

Best of luck - remember Boardsies are here if you need any advice

Although great advice for some who says "I have no experience with Photography"

The gear you've mentioned IMO in abit too much even the 40D and 75-300,

Firstly OP,
    Are you shooting Nikon or canon?I
    f you are shooting canon and you let us know your budget i'll recommend a lens but until you mention your budget I won't be linking as some other members will disagree and it'll get quite wild in here :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I am not shooting with anything as i need a Camera too :) I wouldnt say i have a Budget, but dont plan on spending stupid money if ya get me, So I would need whole Kit Camera/Lens....

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Some of the bridge cameras are very good at the moment, a bridge camera being something that is a little more advanced than a point and shoot compact and a full on Dslr which needs lenses. The superzoom bridges give you excellent reach ie long zoom and would have sport mode to give you maybe four frames per second, enough to capture fast moving objects. Reasonbly priced too, can recommend Panasonic and Olympus.

I am not shooting with anything as i need a Camera too :) I wouldnt say i have a Budget, but dont plan on spending stupid money if ya get me, So I would need whole Kit Camera/Lens....

Any chance of a rough idea?Cause i could recommend quite a good kit for roughly around the €1500(Brand new) or about €1000 (used)
    Which is a Canon EOS 40D and a 70-200 f/2.8 and a 1.4TC
    Canon EOS 40D:£578.99/€641.083
    Sigma 70-200 f/2.8:£678.99/€751.808
    Sigma 1.4 TC:£177.99/€199.293

Total:£1435.97/€1589.97 not inc pap etc+ memory card and other accesories

Where as Conns in Dublin
    Sigma 70-200 f/2.8:€899.99
    Sigma 1.4 TC:€279.99
    Canon EOS 40D:None new only Used €699.99

Total:€1879.97 not inc pap etc+ memory card and other accessories

And one last place to compare a used UK shop(purchased from these myself and they are excellent)

Sigma 70-200 f/2.8:£449/€498.24
    Sigma 1.4 TC:£129.99/€143.931
    Canon EOS 40D:£499/€553.61

Total:€1195.781 not inc pap etc+ memory card and other accessories

That would be a very good kit for Rugby and would last you a long time

Scource: Warehouse Express
    Conns
    Mifsuds

• Advertisement

Some of the bridge cameras are very good at the moment, a bridge camera being something that is a little more advanced than a point and shoot compact and a full on Dslr which needs lenses. The superzoom bridges give you excellent reach ie long zoom and would have sport mode to give you maybe four frames per second, enough to capture fast moving objects. Reasonbly priced too, can recommend Panasonic and Olympus.

Wouldn't recommend a bridge for sport they're very limited and would be terrible if he got under floodlit sports

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Having spent an evening at an indoor soccer match with a slow lens, I think you will find a very cheap camera and lens frustrating for true action shots. A slow zoom takes an eternity to focus which misses a lot of the drama.

This might help:

http://cameras.about.com/od/photographybyinterest/tp/sports.htm

Advertisement