Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art History

Options
  • 26-04-2009 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

OK its impossible to learn absolutely everything on the course so what should you learn to guarantee a question? I know Romanesque and Gothic come up most years, what about Bronze Age this year? What else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I would like to know too. I only took up art this year and the course is ridiculously too big to do in one year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I actually haven't a clue, I don't know anything about what we're supposed to know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Solidarity

New Grange has come up the last 2 years.

In 2007 it was a general question on New Grange and last year I got a log question on New Grange based on the actual Art work... I wasn't prepared at all for it

Bronze age did come up last year too. I think it was about the metal work and explain 2 pieces of metal work and explain the designs and stuff like that .

Blah! I can't remember what came up :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

i did the paper last year - studied cleverly (only focused on 5 essays) and 145/150 in the LC

just telling you my opinions on this and dont blame me if im wrong but i do think im quite good at predicting

DONT STUDY NEWGRANGE, it comes up every second year & was up last year, so many people were unlucky with that too - they only studied a general newgrange Q and it was actually focused on stone carving

i think ill study 3 essays for section 1 -in each essay ill take 3 artefacts from each era, prob try to take them cronologically and try to take 3 artefacts in diff materials

it would probably be good to study diff types of graves from each age.

Section 2 is the tricky one my approach last year was to go through the papers looking at the list Q (this question is there to save you) Boticelli is good for -secular, group pic, mythological,symbolism(oranges in primevara -but arnolfini wedding is really the best for that) water(birth of venus), then leonardo is usually a safe one too - maybe throw in jan van eyk for safety, also equestrian comes up quite a lot & battle scenes

SECTION 3- know your gallery visit backwards, the q comes up every year and there would be uproar if it wasnt on the paper, watch out for the twist - last year they said how did the artists work impact on your art, just throw in a sentence after each piece saying "i found this use of paint...coulour..technique v interesting and decided to try a similar use in my painting of..."

NOTE this really is if you know nothing - pick a few topics- go through all the exam papers on examinations.ie and make sure you would be capable of answering 1 q from each section on all the previous papers

& KNOW YOUR SKETCHES they are so important - use colour it makes them look so much more polished

Advertisement