Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you prefer the colour or black and white version of this photo ?

• 26-04-2009 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Any other comment and critique appreciated.

And btw thanks everyone for the amazing photos I see on this site everyday. They are a real inspiration and really help push me to do better and better. There is a lot of talent on this forum.

3476074562_46e3cc3447_o.jpg

3476074830_0bc540e2ff_o.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Personally I prefer the 1st one (colour). Great composition.

However just noticing, is that camera shake/focus issue - you can really see it within the group of people bottom right............

A tripod would help if its camera shake.....

I'm learning every day here too, its wonderful to see loads of pictures from which one can learn something new.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭newbridgemom

The first one is more interesting in my opinion. I like the soft colours of the building, statues, and trees. The blur of trees and people doesn't bother me. Gives nice contrast to the sharpness of the building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The colour version looks warmer and more interesting.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

colour version is more interesting and warmer, much better shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Colour but not by much, the colour of the statue is what swings it for me, pic could do with a little straightening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 schnuz

Color Definitely. It's more esthetically pleasing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Without a doubt the colour version, really nice photo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Lady_North

Colour. Warm and inspiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭cps_goodbuy

Colour definitely

There is a rather strange effect on the trees, an almost painted feel, either wind movement blur, DOF, or postproduction (ie blurring a poloroid) I'd be interested to know, Thanks

Edit: small note, I find the yellow patch on the pedestal a little distracting

Was it a long exposure with a neutral density filter? as I wouldn't have expected the lights to show up like that if a small apature was used. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

Colour for me. I'm guessing the blur in the group of people is their movement during a longer exposure? Doesn't detract from the photo afaic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Colour all the way, too much detail for B&W

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

colour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Colour for me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i dont think its dof/blur/camera shake... it's clearly a long shutter

Colour.. much more softer and appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Colour for me also :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

Colour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

Thanks for all the replies everyone. For those wondering, I used a tripod and the shutter speed is 4 seconds which caused the blur with the people and the tree.

Here is another one of Notre Dame. Again any c & c appreciated.

3475768343_f7c4bf0692_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭cps_goodbuy

Love the photo, my comment is based on just seeing the b&w

The use of reinclusion of colour is a good technique to experiment with though maybe giving the flowers themselves the colour rather than the flag? A little too strong a use of reinclusion I feel

It is unfortuate that the flowers look suspended as they feel out of place for me

Maybe staying black and white and giving that open sky subtle colour, maybe going as far as giving a desaturated/subtle colour back to everything except the Dame?

re: ("the wind in the trees" nice effect.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

Colour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

i dont think its dof/blur/camera shake... it's clearly a long shutter

:o I never even thought of that, and its so obvious of course - i'm just not into long shutter shots yet!!

ifeellikeacompleteidiotsometimes:o:o

I 've learned something new again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Deacon Blues

I prefer the colour one, although I usually will anyway, so it's nice to see the other answers agree.

Lovely shot. I am wondering about the verticals on the spires though. Was it was over corrected for barrel distortion ?. It looks to me like the top of the spires are wider than the bottom of the building. Anyone else see it ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

normally i prefer b/w photos but in this case i prefer the colour the b/w ones look creepy either way nice pics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Colour for me. I has to be rotated a bit clockwise too btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Colour ftw!

Advertisement