Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd v Arsenal Champions League

• 26-04-2009 12:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭

man.gifVarsenal.jpg

looking so forward to this

utd dont seem to have any injury problems bar the long terms ones

Arsenal could be missing a few players for this

van persie,gael Clichy and Gallas are out

so im hoping to see this happen again
    076giggs_468x604.jpg

and Arsenal fans will be hoping this man does it again
    Nasri.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Hope to god that Arsenal go through!! I am leaving myself open to alot of flak but I can see Arsenal tearing the United defense apart. Not quite sure whether they will go through but I think they will certainly be the more deserving team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

God knows how this will go, I think it will be a cracker though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Boggles wrote: »
    God knows how this will go, I think it will be a cracker though!!

yap I think so too

Im just happy we wont have any Russian problems to deal with

fergie could close up shop for the first leg ..who knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

can't see past 2/3-1 utd.

the best arsenal can hope for is an away goal with their injury problems at the back.

but here's hoping for a stunning Arsenal performance that will make my prediction look foolish. ;)

Doh, forgot about Arshavin...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

If Rooney plays the way he did against Spurs it will be a very promising match. Really need to close down Adebayor and Walcott.

wow

Arsenal have a very strong team out today

cant believe it

edit

fergie is at the match

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

If we play the way we did inthe second half yesterday then I think we'll win.

Expect something like....

VDS
    Neville
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra
    Giggs---Fletch--Ando
    Ronaldo
    Rooney
    Berbatov

Giggs wasn't included yesterday so he'll start I think. Scholes wasn't given the full 90 either so he could start aswell.. Anderson is a much though whatever the midfield is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Yeah tis reasonably strong in having both Walcott and Nasri playing. But if you look at the bench you've still got JD, Song, Ade, Sagna, Diaby who will all most likely play on Wednesday. I'm just hoping that Eduardo makes a surprise return for United, looking unlikely now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Hope to god that Arsenal go through!! I am leaving myself open to alot of flak but I can see Arsenal tearing the United defense apart. Not quite sure whether they will go through but I think they will be certainly be the more deserving team.
    :confused:

Anyway, Ferguson said he wants to take a lead to the Emirates. We rarely play for a draw at home. I expect goals. 2-1 United.

• Advertisement

1-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Both teams have forgot how to defend, and both teams are full of great attacking talent.

This will be a classic semi final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

headshot wrote:

so im hoping to see this happen again
    076giggs_468x604.jpg

tbh I could live my life happily never seen that carpet again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Here's a proposition for you.

You agree to let us play Arshavin and we'll give you back Silvestre.

Deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

4-4 anyone? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

K4t wrote: »

Anyway, Ferguson said he wants to take a lead to the Emirates. We rarely play for a draw at home. I expect goals. 2-1 United.

So who's the ref?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

This game is going to be interesting.

First off, I'm extremely happy that Asrhavin isn't playing. I think with him on the pitch it would be an utterly different game.

Clichy and Gallas out is huge. Arsenal's defence imo is weak, and with these injuries, they are really in trouble. Sagna is doing the exact same thing as Evra is this year, from best in the world to very troubling. I think he'll be targetted.
    As always, I think Arsenal's weakness is their full backs defensively, so Ronaldo and Rooney against them I think would be the best way to go.

Carrick, Fletcher, Anderson in the middle, with Rooney and Ronaldo on the wings, Anderson pushing forward and pressuring Fabregas from everywhere on the pitch [with Fletcher doing the same] and Berbatov up front on his own.
    That's what I'd expect and I'm hopeful it'll be enough to get a win.

Desperately would love a clean sheet, desperately. If we keep a clean sheet tomorrow I've no doubt we'll go through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

nipplenuts wrote: »
    So who's the ref?

Eh who cares? Probably French :P

K4t wrote: »

I think that Arsenal will outplay United and create more chances. I am not convinced that Arsenal will actually take their chances and am worried that United will end up scraping through via a set piece or something along those lines.

Clear enough?

I think that Arsenal will outplay United and create more chances. I am not convinced that Arsenal will actually take their chances and am worried that United will end up scraping through via a set piece or something along those lines.

Clear enough?

Right so no point in United showing up then if you've already determined the winner :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    Right so no point in United showing up then if you've already determined the winner :rolleyes:

What?

I was clarifying how I think the game will pan out.

This place is getting worse by the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Liam O, what are you talking about?

Hope to god that Arsenal go through!! I am leaving myself open to alot of flak but I can see Arsenal tearing the United defense apart. Not quite sure whether they will go through but I think they will be certainly be the more deserving team.

so they are the most deserving team before a ball has been kicked?

Em, what in the hell are you on about? He's just giving his opinion about how the game will pan out, like everyone else on the forum in pre match predictions.

Maybe you are taking it up wrong due to me typing like a rertard but still......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Heading over for the first leg, can't wait.

This will be on show again: OT%20BELIEVE.jpg

Aswell as a mosaic of the European cup on the Stretty, with 68-99-08 underneath.

Hoping for goals, and a decent lead to take to the Emirates, but I think l'Arse will score.

3-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Hmm should be a classic encounter. I think lately with United's CM not protecting the defense well enough and park/nani's form we have looked better in a 4-5-1/4-3-3 than a 4-4-2. United need to attack and need to win. Away goals are less important as Arsenal are not going to defend at home and we should be able to score there, we just need to take a lead there.

With that in mind I'll go for:

VDS
    Rafael
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra
    Fletcher----Ando----Giggs
    Ronaldo
    Rooney
    Berbatov

I could see Carrick in for Fletch either. I also want Rafa to start as I think we need to take it to them and he offers more forward than JOS.

going for a 3-1 to utd

Ronaldo with a hatrick :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

I think I might prefer to see O'Shea in there instead of Rafael just for that extra bit of experience.

Arsenal are getting better every day, even though their defense is still weak. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if how are attacking presence is going to fare, it's been a bit iffy lately, even though you'd fancy them considering the defensive injuries Arsenal have had. 5 goals against Tottenham was a nice preparation, though.

My prediction: 2-1 United.

• Advertisement

I think it would be silly to throw Rafael in here. Defensively he isn't at the same level as O'Shea yet. Going forward he's already better, but you need that experience and O'Shea has it.

VDS
    ---O'Shea
    Ferdinand
    Vidic
    Evra---
    Carrick
    Fletcher
    --Ronaldo
    Anderson
    Rooney-
    Berbatov

That's the team I expect, but I also think it is the best team to beat Arsenal. Pack the midfield and let Anderson and Fletcher do a job on Fabregas, and you greatly nullify their threat.
    Clichy not playing is a huge boost, not least because it means we won't get punished as much for Ronaldo not tracking him.
    That means O'Shea and Evra [with Rooney protecting him] should do a good job at limiting the amount of crosses coming into the box, which is where we've been very dodgy lately.

I'm actually becoming surprisingly confident about this match, I think it's all set up oddly for a United victory.

Then again, Arsenal on their day can beat anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Can see this being an absolute classic. Both sides attacking brilliantly, neither side defending well, seriously this will end 4-2 or 4-3 to United.

So 0-0 it is then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Under 0.5 @ 15/2
    Over 4.5 @ 7/1
    10er on each? :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Recent displays suggest Wenger will get scared and set us out with a horribly negative system. Fergie isn't exactly cavalier in Europe either so I wouldn't be surprised if this is pretty ugly as a spectacle. Man United to win 1-0 unfortunately...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Can see plenty of goals in this one. Both teams have been leaking goals but I think United have a little bit more quality in their defence so I can see them winning this 3-2.

Should be a great game for the neutrals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

PHB wrote: »
    I think it would be silly to throw Rafael in here. Defensively he isn't at the same level as O'Shea yet. Going forward he's already better, but you need that experience and O'Shea has it.

VDS
    ---O'Shea
    Ferdinand
    Vidic
    Evra---
    Carrick
    Fletcher
    --Ronaldo
    Anderson
    Rooney-
    Berbatov

That's the team I expect, but I also think it is the best team to beat Arsenal. Pack the midfield and let Anderson and Fletcher do a job on Fabregas, and you greatly nullify their threat.
    Clichy not playing is a huge boost, not least because it means we won't get punished as much for Ronaldo not tracking him.
    That means O'Shea and Evra [with Rooney protecting him] should do a good job at limiting the amount of crosses coming into the box, which is where we've been very dodgy lately.

I'm actually becoming surprisingly confident about this match, I think it's all set up oddly for a United victory.

Then again, Arsenal on their day can beat anyone.

I'd go along with this team. I think O'Shea has to start, recently he's been our best full-back, though that's more of a reflection on Evra's form than Jos, and I don't think Rafa is mature enough defensively for this fixture.

If Giggs doesn't start, I fully expect him to make an appearance at some stage,

• Advertisement

carlop wrote: »
    If Giggs doesn't start, I fully expect him to make an appearance at some stage,

That's a given I reckon.

Arsenal fans any idea how your team will line up ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

It has to be O'Shea ahead of Rafa for this one I feel. Though it's a pity Wes doesn't have enough game time to make it.

Fletch, Ando and Giggs in the middle could work well - tbh I feel Carrick has been a little disappointing of late.

Headshot wrote: »
    Arsenal fans any idea how your team will line up ?
    ............ Almunia
    Sagna Toure Djourou Gibbs
    Walcott Denilson Song Nasri
    ........... Fabregas
    ........... Adebayor

............ Almunia
    Sagna Toure Djourou Gibbs
    Walcott Denilson Song Nasri
    ........... Fabregas
    ........... Adebayor

Seems to be the strongest team they can put out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Drop Denilson, move Fabregas back and stick Eduardo up front. That'd be the strongest team they could put out. Eduardo's gone AWOL though so Pepe's team will almost certainly be the one that plays.

Indeed. I hate seeing a midfield trio of Song-Denilson-Fabregas so I can't help but feel pessimistic. Still, Fergie makes some strange selections himself sometimes so maybe it'll be one of those nights...

Could well be Diaby in there instead of Denilson, which would be slightly better. Also would be better if Cesc dropped back into the CM role of old rather than the hole, dunno if Wenger sees it that way though.

Agreed on Eduardo also, maybe we'll have him as the secret weapon for the second leg but i seriously doubt for this one he'll be there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I'm looking forward to this. I've been hoping we'd meet Arsenal in Europe for years. So many good games between these two down the years - some of the most enjoyable premier league football I've seen (but I am biased). The games have loads of skill, are played at a crazy pace and have plenty of needle too. What more could you want?
    Arsenal are the team I love to hate - although they don't really have the characters at the moment that make me :mad::mad::mad:
    And when they are not playing United I've always loved watching them since Wenger arrived.

I hope this lives up to past encounters.

From a United point of view I really hope Ferguson doesn't go with his usual European defensiveness. I don't mean the formation that we play but the mindset. We've got to go out and play for a win in the first leg. And, indeed the second leg.

I'm going to guess:

VDS
    JOS---Rio---Vidic---Evra
    ----Anderson-Carrick--
    Ronaldo---Giggs----Rooney
    Berba

Maybe Park in there somewhere instead of Anderson/Carrick with Rooney going up front. But I really hope Anderson plays.

I think Song can be a bit of a liability for them. He seems a bit clumsy in the tackle when chasing back (what do Arsenal fans think?). I hope some Ronaldo and Giggs runs through the middle can draw some frees in good areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I reckon it will be 2-1 to United. I'm hoping for a classic encounter. These fixtures rarely disappoint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Sadly my unbiased view is that Arsenal will win 5 nil......Silvestre hat trick and 2 own goals by Rooney.

If I went with my heart I'd say 6 nil to Arsenal.....but I know that's just ridiculous.

Sadly my unbiased view is that Arsenal will win 5 nil......Silvestre hat trick and 2 own goals by Rooney.

If I went with my heart I'd say 6 nil to Arsenal.....but I know that's just ridiculous.

Hate to break it to ya:( http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8010847.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

playa3 wrote: »

5 nil to Man U so.

its probly a good thing tbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Disappointing. Was looking forward to Tweety's reunion. Would have gotten a good reception. Always liked him.

Anyway, I forgot to post a team, so here goes.

VDS
    --Josh
    Rio
    Nemagic
    Evra--
    Fletcher----Giggs----Carrick

Ronaldo
    Rooney--
    Superbatov

I don't think there's a whole lot of selection to be done on Wednesday tbh. The only area I'm unsure about is the centre of midfield. 3 from Carrick, Giggs, Anderson and Fletcher.

Giggs will start, I'm certain of that. So will Carrick.
    So then it's a decision between Ando and Fletchinho.
    Personally, I think we'll need Fletcher's desire to chase after the ball when we don't have it, so I've put him in rather than Anderson, but Anderson will come on if we are on top with 25-30 mins left, to hopefully provide a few killer passes.

A 2 goal lead for 2nd leg please.

• Advertisement
Advertisement