Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd v Arsenal Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Why are RTE saying it's a good half? It hasn't really been. It's been a good half if you're a United fan but as a whole it hasn't been incredible.

Being very biased.

Did Dunphy just say arse on the tv???? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

They've basically dicked all over us.

Wouldn't mind seeing Eduardo for Diaby/Nasri within 15 mins of the restart and Fab dropped back into CM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Arsenal's left hand side is so exposed.

Still think they will get the all important away goal

And I wouldn't blame young Gibbs who I think has done well given the circumstances.

He is getting absolutely no cover from Diaby who seems slow and sluggish. Almost seems like he isn't fit. I rate him as a player but he's been the worst player on the pitch.

Great match so far. Think Tevez in for Berbatov was a smart move, set the precedent for a high tempo game.

And with all the talks of referees this week, I thought I'd say that the ref hasn't put a foot wrong so far. Lets hope I don't jinx that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

From a United POV it's a half you didn't want to end. It's a bit disconcerting that it's only 1-0 considering some of the chances to increase the lead, really hope we're not ruing those missed chances come 90 minutes. You'd expect an improvement from Arsenal in the second half...not that it'd be hard though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

John O'Shea, John O'Shea running down the wing,
    He goes past one, he goes past two,
    John O'Shea, John O'Shea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Worst Arsenal performance I've seen in a long time.

That system is useless, it was useless against Chelsea it's been even worse today. Adebayor does nothing up front on his own. Diaby's been poor and has not helped Gibbs at all, who's had a total nightmare. Cesc + Nasri have done very little, as has Walcott. Almunia's been brilliant and Song's been good but apart from that a woeful performance.

Djourou on, move Silvestre across. Diaby off, Eduardo on. I can hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ronaldo's not bothering his arse :pac: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

F*ck we better not regret those chances. Hope united can find the same energy again for the first twenty minutes and find another. Then bring on Park so we still have someone capable of running like a lunatic in the closing stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

United simply want this more.

Agreed...Utd playin well..closing Arsenal down at every opportunity in mid field...

Goal was fortunate with the deflection to O'Shea..nice shin goal :pac:

Arsenal not working hard enough in midfield...they need to press Carrick quicker as he's the play maker for utd...

Rooney coming back to double up on Walcott with Evra when Arsenal have the ball..

Arsenal also too slow when they have the ball and trying to go through the middle at every opportunity...

can't see anything but Utd getting another two :(

Djourou on, move Silvestre across.

Gibbs has played fairly well considering he's had very little cover from Diaby.
    Why would you want him off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Tevez booking was bollox.

He was pulling out of the tackle once he knew he wasnt getting it.

Plonker of a ref

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

I can only see utd winning this tbh.

Liam O wrote: »
    I almost expect Arsenal to get a scabby goal and undo all our good work

UTD got a scabby goal...

they had the chances to score more goals though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Great first 30 minutes or so from us. After that Arsenal started coming into more. Carrick is having a great game. Rooney has been good, but not as good as he can be (edit: the more I think about it, he may have one eye on Walcott so that's a bit of a constraint). Hard to fault that performance, but if we're going to control the game as much as we did for the first half an hour, we need to score more. That said, I would not rule out an Arsenal goal.

ShooterSF wrote: »

He goes past...ah fúck

:p

ShooterSF wrote: »

?????

When johnnie goes marching down the wing, o'shea o'shea
    When johnnie goes marching down the wing o'shea oshea
    When johnnie goes marching down the wing
    The stretford will stand and sing
    Cause we all know that johnnies gonna score.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

That_Guy wrote: »
    Why are RTE saying it's a good half? It hasn't really been. It's been a good half if you're a United fan but as a whole it hasn't been incredible.

Being very biased.

Did Dunphy just say arse on the tv???? :eek:

very poor coverage from them, i switched off before the match, sky much better.

mada999 wrote: »
    UTD got a scabby goal...

they had the chances to score more goals though

No, Arsenal decided to mark the penalty spot instead of United players, their own fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

redout wrote: »
    Tevez booking was bollox.

He was pulling out of the tackle once he knew he wasnt getting it.

Plonker of a ref

Maybe the kick into the throat swung it for the ref.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think that they have to bring in Djorou and put Silvestre out at left back if they are to have any chance.

There does not seem to be anybody really playing down the side or causing a threat down that side, I'd rather see them bring on Eduardo and let Adebayor roam a bit.

OPENROAD wrote: »

Blasphemy! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Almunia is hurling well.

Bout the only positive I can draw from this game. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Maybe the kick into the throat swung it for the ref.......

Maybe the ref is just a bollox.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

This isn't a case of United simply wanting it more.

Arsenal can't hold onto the ball because the team is so horribly bent out of shape. Fabregas is playing so far forward that it almost completely negates his abilities. He's got his back to the goal most of the time so his vision is wasted, and he doesn't have the pace or strength to get into it without dropping deep to where he should be playing. Diaby constantly wants to come central too so we end up with four players all in close proximity with nobody to pass to. Adebayor is totally isolated and United's players have acres of space all over the pitch, but especially on their right.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think that they have to bring in Djorou and put Silvestre out at left back if they are to have any chance.

There does not seem to be anybody really playing down the right side or causing a threat down that side, I'd rather see them bring on Eduardo and give let Adebayor roam a bit.

Why would you take Gibbs off?!

He's played very well. Are you even watching the game?

Liam O wrote: »
    No, Arsenal decided to mark the penalty spot instead of United players, their own fault

the ball deflected right into o'sheas feet... with was very fortunate,,

utd had better chances to score..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Silvestre would be worse on the left than Gibbs, who has been left completely exposed.

Further Arsenal have won loads of the so called '50:50s', they just give the ball straight back because there's nobody for them to pass to.

OPENROAD wrote: »

They don't care as long as there's an English team in the final. If Barca get into the final there can be no doubt that they like RTE tonight, will be extremely biased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gibbs is being murdered! If John O'Shea is able to wander freely into passing and goal-scoring positions its a poor sign!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

nuxxx wrote: »
    aye your right archavins 4 goals had nothing to do with it
    + if van persie was fit ade and him wud definately be playing, arsenal have no other real striker

anyway arsenal seem to be coming back into it, but are lacking a cutting edge in the final third

They have played without those players and performed better than this. Adebayor has no support and the three central midfielders look confused.

re: the 4 goals? They had switched to 4-4-2 by then.

I don't think they'd be winning if it was 4-4-2 but they wouldn't be counting themselves lucky to be 1-0 down either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

mike65 wrote: »
    Gibbs is being murdered! If John O'Shea is able to wander freely into passing and goal-scoring positions its a poor sign!

That has more to do with the lack of left wing cover in front of him.

Since when did a left back mark the opposition right back?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Very harsh free against Fletcher there.
    Thought the fans were singing about Diego Forlan there a minute ago, shame the song was actually for Viera! :P

Why hasn't Wenger changed the system yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

That's the second corner that Anderson has overhit and wasted. Poor effort, otherwise he's having a decent game.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Anderson off corner duties plz.

Gibbs has looked quite lively all of a sudden.

• Advertisement

I've lost count how many times Adebayor has lost the ball.

Brilliant challenge by Rio there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Arsenal need to score.

I simply can't see them shutting out United at the Emirates and equally, I don't think they can put 3 past them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Gibbs has looked very scared of players running at him and had just backed off and given them plenty of room to knock as many crosses in as they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Ronaldo is looking increasingly disinterested and indifferent. Although it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he popped up with a goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lol Anderson to Row Z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

What is Anderson doing? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

rofl at the Anderson shot

Chance from Anderson. No goals for United this season. He obviously doesn't want one.

That's why you shouldn't bet on ando to score

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

GuanYin wrote: »
    They have played without those players and performed better than this. Adebayor has no support and the three central midfielders look confused.

re: the 4 goals? They had switched to 4-4-2 by then.

I don't think they'd be winning if it was 4-4-2 but they wouldn't be counting themselves lucky to be 1-0 down either.

Of course adebayor has no support. Van persie is not playing. Who else is going to support adebayor, or play as a striker. If nasri does it , it just leaves the gap in the DM role, although i have no idea why wenger has him playing there. Like i said in my original post van persie is a massive loss, as he would be for any team, but arsenal dont have a direct replacement for him. Also they are attempting to play 4-4-2 , with fabregas playing AM behind ade , but hes struggling to stay there since its not his natural position...

Adebayor copying Anderson's shot.

When he doesn't try to score* he looks like a football genius :confused:

*apart from penalties ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

nuxxx wrote: »
    Of course adebayor has no support. Van persie is not playing. Who else is going to support adebayor, or play as a striker. If nasri does it , it just leaves the gap in the DM role, although i have no idea why wenger has him playing there. Like i said in my original post van persie is a massive loss, as he would be for any team, but arsenal dont have a direct replacement for him. Also they are attempting to play 4-4-2 , with fabregas playing AM behind ade , but hes struggling to stay there since its not his natural position...

Walcott, Nasri (there are other DM options on the bench) Edurado, Bendtner.

Arsenal don't need to be free flowing attacking football now, they just need to be able to keep the ball, have some balance and solidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

What are the odds that Adebayor leaves in the Summer?

• Advertisement
Advertisement