Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd v Arsenal Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

gosplan wrote: »
    Switching Sagna is about as good as playing Gibbs.

fair enough.

you're still running out of players :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Guys any more info on our(united) starting line? Last i heard SAF will make the decision in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Guys any more info on our(united) starting line? Last i heard SAF will make the decision in the morning.

Wont be around till then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

gosplan wrote: »
    Switching Sagna is about as good as playing Gibbs.

we surely wont be that unlucky to have both Gibbs and Silvestre out on top of Gallas and Clichy :(

if Gibbs isnt passed fit and Silvestre is i guess we'll be looking at;

sagna---toure---djourou---silvestre

Hopefully Gibbs plays, just wait and see i guess......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

look like silvestre isnt gonna make it, so that's a big boost....... for arsenal!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

itsjaybud wrote: »
    LOL:)

Walcott will START and going on both players current form, I can see theo getting the better of the french man!! (i hope so anyway)

but will Walcott be able to defend for periods if Utd get on top!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

It will be a really tough game. Just hoping United can get a few goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

have a bad feeling utd could do a chelsea tonight, arsenal are there for taken .ì dont expect full out attack thou but i want a few chances created by utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Headshot wrote: »
    have a bad feeling utd could do a chelsea tonight, arsenal are there for taken .ì dont expect full out attack thou but i want a few chances created by utd
    Hahaha, i like that line 'do a Chelsea' they better not! Too much at stake, will pop into the bookies to see the odds. I predict 2-1 to United :)
    Rooney and Tevez to score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

The game's at Old Trafford. When have Utd ever sat back at old Trafford. Of course they'll be attacking this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Agree. I dont think its gonna be nearly as attacking as everyone is making out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

sb_prideofafrica_wed.jpg

Are United not playing as well...? :confused: Or are Arsenal just having a training match in OT?

Bizarre picture

United to win 2-1 is 7's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

It's a picture that has Adebayors face photoshopped on to a lion...i weouldn't get too hung up on it:P

I think it won't be until the second leg that it gets interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

playa3 wrote: »
    It's a picture that has Adebayors face photoshopped on to a lion...i weouldn't get too hung up on it:P
    I know yeah, but they usually show a player or two from BOTH teams! :D Last night's showed Eto'o and Drogba (think it said 'the pride of africa' again actually :confused: )

Lazy work from PP :p

those on 1 yellow and thus 2 away from a suspension are

Nani
    Tevez
    Vidic
    Rafael
    Ronaldo
    Fletcher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

those on 1 yellow and thus 2 away from a suspension are

Nani
    Tevez
    Vidic
    Rafael
    Ronaldo
    Fletcher

while Rooney and Evra are one card away from a suspension.

Can anyone see these two going two games without a card.

Evra against Walcott means he will probably get one, Rooney being Rooney means he will probably get one too.

Can anyone see these two going two games without a card.

Evra against Walcott means he will probably get one, Rooney being Rooney means he will probably get one too.

Evra wont the biggest lost But Rooney sure would be

tbf to Rooney he controlled himself in the last leg too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

what is the story with suspensions.

i was told something yesterday, that i do NOT know to be true, but that is very interesting, and someone said something similar to me this morning.

My understanding is that if you are one yellow away from a suspension, and get a yellow, in any game, you are suspended from the next one.

However, yesterday I was told that, for the players one yellow away, in the first leg of the semi - the following applies:

get a yellow in the first leg and you miss the second leg. Get a yellow in the second leg and you miss the first game of next seasons champions league, NOT the final

This morning, i was told that if you get yellows in consecutive games, you miss the next match, but three cards over the tournement means you can play the next game, but are suspended from the game after that.

Does anyone know for certain - i was sure it was as I have stated my understanding is, but the person giving me the info yesterday is usually correct when it comes to rules.

not sure have things changed Mitch but keane was suspened for the CL final if you remember

• Advertisement

I also heard that you can't miss the final anymore but it wasnt grounded in any fact. I think its a/would be a good rule tbh. Pinnacle of World Club football and all that.

edit: mitch got there.

not sure have things changed Mitch but keane was suspened for the CL final if you remember

so was scholes

what is the story with suspensions.

i was told something yesterday, that i do NOT know to be true, but that is very interesting, and someone said something similar to me this morning.

My understanding is that if you are one yellow away from a suspension, and get a yellow, in any game, you are suspended from the next one.

However, yesterday I was told that, for the players one yellow away, in the first leg of the semi - the following applies:

get a yellow in the first leg and you miss the second leg. Get a yellow in the second leg and you miss the first game of next seasons champions league, NOT the final

This morning, i was told that if you get yellows in consecutive games, you miss the next match, but three cards over the tournement means you can play the next game, but are suspended from the game after that.

Does anyone know for certain - i was sure it was as I have stated my understanding is, but the person giving me the info yesterday is usually correct when it comes to rules.

Wow I honestly don't know. I hate to see players miss out on the final. I mean in the final you want to see the best teams from both squads on the pitch fighting it out.

Going by what you say if Rooney or Evra get a card tonight they miss the second leg. If they avoid a card tonight they can't miss the final.

While if any player gets booked tonight and next week they miss the final.

Too confusing I may look at the regulations in a little bit and try find some clarity.

so was scholes

how could i be forgetting paul

for shame

Wow I honestly don't know. I hate to see players miss out on the final. I mean in the final you want to see the best teams from both squads on the pitch fighting it out.

Going by what you say if Rooney or Evra get a card tonight they miss the second leg. If they avoid a card tonight they can't miss the final.

While if any player gets booked tonight and next week they miss the final.

Too confusing I may look at the regulations in a little bit and try find some clarity.

tried checking the regulations and couldn't find anything to confirm or deny it.

Scholes missing the final in 99 is meaningless really, as it could be a new regulation (released at the start of every season)

I really don't know either way, but would be interested to know.

AFAIK, two yellows or a red in the second leg would still mean the player misses the final, just that they can't miss the final through accumulated yellows over the tournement (which i think is fair and right)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Is it not just if you get 2 consecutive yellows you miss the next match?

The quotes are all takin from Uefa regulations
    As a rule, a player who is sent off the field of play is suspended for the next match in a UEFA club competition.

So anyone sent of next week misses the final, no distinction is made between two yellows or a red resulting in the sending off.
    In case of repeated cautions, a player is suspended for the next competition match:

b) from the first match in the group stage, after three cautions in three
    different matches, as well as following any subsequent odd-numbered
    caution (fifth, seventh, ninth, etc.).

This seems to mean that if you get three cautions from the first match in the group stage you miss the next match. No exemptions are mentioned regarding the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

just that they can't miss the final through accumulated yellows over the tournement (which i think is fair and right)

Why do you think this fair and right? If a player does the crime surely they should be punished. It's no ones fault but there own if the pick up a heap of bookings throughout the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

thorbarry wrote:
    Galvasean wrote:
    What are you talking about?
    You won't win anything with kids!

lol

Didnt united win it in 95/95 with "kids"

sarc.jpg

Looking forward to this while nervous at the same time.
    Ronaldo needs to have a good game and run at their defense. Rooney has been in good form and coming from the Spurs match his confidence should be high. He was brilliant running at players and hope for more of the same tonight.
    I think we should make the most of set pieces too. Vidic and Ronaldo should cause problems each time we have a corner or free so we have to make sure the ball beats the first man and is decent thereafter.
    Hopefully Anderson plays. I think he's a fantastic player. His energy is brilliant and has great power and purpose when he bombs forward with the ball - he's very deceptive in how quick, strong and skillful he is when he runs direct. I think his energy could be the way to keep Fabregas quiet.
    Midfield in general needs to keep the ball. If we give Arsenal too much time on it they will gain in confidence and punish us - they're too good not to.
    We need at least two goals I reckon to bring to the Emirates. And keeping a clean sheet would be as valuable as scoring a third.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Unless we knock ye out ;)

Why do you think this fair and right? If a player does the crime surely they should be punished. It's no ones fault but there own if the pick up a heap of bookings throughout the CL.

3 booking over 12 games is not a 'heap' imo. To be suspended from the CL final for 3 bookings over 12 games, is crap imo.

jasonorr wrote: »
    Unless we knock ye out ;)

Obviously.

Sorry if I came across cocky, I'm no more than 50/50 going into these matches.

3 booking over 12 games is not a 'heap' imo. To be suspended from the CL final for 3 bookings over 12 games, is crap imo.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Point taken. It is a bit harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I've heard that talked about before, but never heard any official source confirm it.

Personally I think Rooney should get booked tonight no matter what. We can beat Arsenal in the Emirates without Rooney, but I really doubt we could beat Barca or Chelsea in the final without him.

Evra shouldn't get booked unless he has to, but against Walcott, I'd say he will have to.

I still think we're playing Arsenal at the perfect time, it's something of a perfect storm. Van Persie out is their biggest goal threat on the ground. It's going to be aerial balls which Vidic and Rio if they play will mop up. [Of course lately that's not been the case]

Gallas and Clichy out is a huge boost, with Sagna completely off form, I think Arsenal's defence is really weak, even weaker's than United's of late, so I think we can exploit that and get a real victory.

Any result in which Arsenal don't score imo is a good result. 0-0, 1-0, 2-0 and so on. I'd take a 0-0 now though probably, however I'd prefer a 4-0 :)

I'd be quite surprised if we don't score, and as for concedding, it just depends on which CB pairing shows up.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »
    I've heard that talked about before, but never heard any official source confirm it.

Personally I think Rooney should get booked tonight no matter what. We can beat Arsenal in the Emirates without Rooney, but I really doubt we could beat Barca or Chelsea in the final without him.

Would it not be better if he doesn't get booked tonight, but them bench him at the Emirates and only bring him on if we need to change the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

As far as I remember we beat Barca in the semi final without him last season, not been too hard on Rooney he was playing out of position in the first leg of the semi final and he did not have the greatest of finals.

So I suppose that proves in some way we can beat the best without him.

Arsenal are in good form right now so it really should be interesting to see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just saw this for the first time. Very good

fergie.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Looking forward to this one, should be a real good game. Obviously neither side wants to concede although I do think utd will be going for the jugular tonight and all being well, have the luxury of being able to bench players for the return leg. Would really love to see tevez starting although that may be throughing caution to the wind a bit early and it's hard not to notice the impact he has from the bench. Lineup:

VDS
    ----JoS---Ferd---Vidic---Evra---
    -Ronaldo-Carrick-Scholes-Giggs--
    Rooney--Berba

I know a few players from the gooners are 1 yellow away as well, is it Diaby, Song and someone else ? Hopefuly Wayne can keep the head tonight!

Fancy this to be a much better game than the one last night though. It's time for utd to show "why we're champions".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Fenix wrote: »
    ough. It's time for utd to show "why we're champions".

Because Terry fell on his hole?

RasTa wrote: »
    Just saw this for the first time. Very good

fergie.gif

Brilliant!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Because Terry fell on his hole?

We went through the group stages, all the knockout rounds and into the final, through to extra time and into penalties all on the strength of John Terry falling on his hole.

So tonight we'll be hoping that somewhere in London John Terry falls on his hole or we haven't a prayer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Van Persie out is their biggest goal threat on the ground. It's going to be aerial balls which Vidic and Rio if they play will mop up.

just because Van Persie is out doesn't mean Arsenal are going to go aerial. In fact i've never seen them go aerial

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

deisedevil wrote: »
    We went through the group stages, all the knockout rounds and into the final, through to extra time and into penalties all on the strength of John Terry falling on his hole.

So tonight we'll be hoping that somewhere in London John Terry falls on his hole or we haven't a prayer!

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Nervousness is really starting to creep in now...

Frisbee wrote: »
    Nervousness is really starting to creep in now...

Not really nervous about this one to be honest, that's not to say I think United will walk it.

I do think they will win it, but the nerves are being offset by the proposition of seeing a fúckíng cracking game of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

just because Van Persie is out doesn't mean Arsenal are going to go aerial. In fact i've never seen them go aerial

Persilly I think they'll be Bold and go out to Daz-zle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Boggles wrote: »
    I do think they will win it, but the nerves are being offset by the proposition of seeing a fúckíng cracking game of football.

As long as it is that, and not a 0-0 borefest

Just want this to start. Three hours of work, trip home, listen to RTE crap for 45 minutes (entertaining crap no doubt) and then finally the game.

Come on!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement