Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

all those still mourning Sosmix...

Options
  • 26-04-2009 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all :)

If any of you have access to Asda (I go to the one in Enniskillen) head for the isle which has all their dried beans and pulses, (if you weren't heading there already, lol), and you should see their new sausage mix.

It's vegan, though not labelled as such. I feel happy enough about the ingredients but I'm not an expert yet, only made the vegan decision a week or two ago after a lot of research, (by which I mean reading a lot of cookery books, lol). The mix comes out bizarrely sausage-like, they even have a little beetroot extract to give them a pinkish tinge (but it doesn't look horrible and fakey).

I think part of why they work is that they have little flakes of fat & rusk through the tvp mix which gives it that moist, heart-attack-threatening loveliness which most veggie sausages don't have. Definetly one to be reserved for a treat (they leave a lot of that characteristic sausage-like white fat in the pan, something I'd forgotten about actually). Having been off sausages now for nearly a year I found them scary realistic. My partner who went veggie about 5 months ago died and went to heaven over them too.

The pack is 250g and makes eight sausages, I think it was 79p.

The ingredients, in case you're wondering/worrying:

Rusk (32%) (Wheat), Dried Textured Soya Protein (27%), Vegetable Oil, natural flavourings, stabiliser (Methyl Cellulose), Rice Flour, Soya Flour, Salt, Potato Starch, Yeast Extract, Colour (Beetroot Red), Ground Black Pepper.

I suppose the 'natural flavourings' are in question for vegans, but as is mentioned on the thread about it at veganforum.com there's no warning on the pack about dairy...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I miss Sosmix so much, but I won't shop in ASDA cause its owned by the evil WAL-MART, its pretty annoying knowing there's a good Sosmix replacement out there that I'll never taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 louphoria

biZrb, I'm working on a tvp sausage of my own thats easy to make, so when I crack it, I'll let you know :) This Asda mix has given me ideas. I also saw another brand in one of my local health shops up here in Sligo that the manager had bought in as a (vegan) Sosmix replacement so I'll check out the name of that for you aswell (could take a little while).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

biZrb - Ah, but Dunnes have also been bought by Wallmart. Can you manage to avoid that too?!

louphoria - The sosmix type one from the Health food store might be the one by Just Wholefoods. http://www.justwholefoods.co.uk/ Is that the small healthfood store in the shopping centre in the town centre of Sligo? I find their selection is rather limited for 'meaty' products usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

biZrb - Ah, but Dunnes have also been bought by Wallmart. Can you manage to avoid that too?!

is that official? I thought that was still up in the air.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Another Sligonian, welcome. I'll try this soxmix type thing in town, which healthfood shop is it?

• Advertisement

louphoria wrote: »
    biZrb, I'm working on a tvp sausage of my own thats easy to make, so when I crack it, I'll let you know :)

Please hurry up with this!!!
    louphoria wrote: »
    I also saw another brand in one of my local health shops up here in Sligo that the manager had bought in as a (vegan) Sosmix replacement so I'll check out the name of that for you aswell (could take a little while).

Thanks!
    ztoical wrote: »
    is that official? I thought that was still up in the air.

Yeah I heard about that but nothings been confirmed on it by Dunnes, so I still shop in Dunnes. If they are bought by ASDA/WallMart I will/can avoid them, I don't like the way Tesco do business either, so I avoid them too. I'm really lucky in that I live near an independent supermarket, makes it pretty easy to boycott shops that I consider bad & evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 louphoria

sweet-rasmus, it isn't that one, it's a pretty plain bag, it could be the same supplier they use for their flours/seeds etc. I will check. I might be in tomorrow actually, depends whether it's raining while I'm stopping through ;)

Thanks for the welcome Tar.Aldarion :), it's the one with the bad pun on 'Quay'...the mix there is a bit pricey, but it uses wheat gluten, so it looks like it'd be a nice texture.

biZrb, lol, I'll get to it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

ty for info.

Taken from from: http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22396
    I just rang Symingtons, the company who have taken over Direct Foods, and made Sosmix non-vegan by putting cows milks in.

After getting angry initially, they have explained to me, that due to the large number of people who have complained, they have now sourced an alternative ingredient, and once the stock containing cows milk has sold there will be no more with this ingredient. The new stock will state on the reverse, in the allergens section, it will not state that it contains any milk.

This means that a company has actually listened to vegans!

So keep an eye out for the new stock, and long live sosmix!!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

wooohhooooo!

victory :) I'm glad I signed that petition.

• Advertisement

cool :)

Advertisement