Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn not stocking Lyons tea

Options
  • 26-04-2009 1:04pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

Superquinn in Ballinteer yesterday had a notice displayed saying that they were not going to stock Unilever-supplied Lyons Tea. They claimed that the supplier wanted a price increase and that this was 'unfair on their customers'.

Should shops be doing this or should they let the market decide? I think they're trying to get a sympathy guilt-trip from customers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Well if they went ahead with the price increase, you'd be on here complaining about the prices. If the retailers don't stand up to the agents then costs will continue to spiral like they have done during the celtic tiger. The 20 or so shops that Superquinn have not stocking this product will hit Unilever and hopefully they'll cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If this were Tesco, there would be uproar and marching in the streets because they weren't selling Lyons tea - whatever the price. What a difference a name makes.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If this were Tesco, there would be uproar and marching in the streets because they weren't selling Lyons tea - whatever the price. What a difference a name makes.:pac:
    I dont think thats true at all tbh.

but anyway, if someone like Superquinn, who has MASSIVE buying power refuses to stock a brand, you can be sure that Unilever will be quick to give them a fair price, but they'll just pass the increase onto the smaller independent retailer, giving us more problems to deal with...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Einstein wrote: »
    I dont think thats true at all tbh.

Judging by the tone of the anti-Brit store threads, I'd have to disagree. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

For some peculiar reason, people don't seem to mention that the Irish consumer was getting ripped off long before the foreign retailers decided to set up shop here. Seeing a profitable market, the foreigners couldn't resist getting a piece of the action - it was too much to ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Red Alert wrote: »
    Should shops be doing this or should they let the market decide? I think they're trying to get a sympathy guilt-trip from customers.
    Clever marketing. If prices have gone up they could have a similar sign saying that the price increase is the exact same increase from the supplier. If I was a shop keeper I would still stock it. I would not want customers going elsewhere to buy the same thing at the new high price. If the price is too high people will just go with another brand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Just buy it in another shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I am completely biased on this. All I drink is Barry's.

I do think Superquinn should be letting the customer decide though. The customer can also decide to shop somewhere else if they are not happy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Well if they went ahead with the price increase, you'd be on here complaining about the prices. If the retailers don't stand up to the agents then costs will continue to spiral like they have done during the celtic tiger. The 20 or so shops that Superquinn have not stocking this product will hit Unilever and hopefully they'll cop on.
    The thing is though that there is a tea shortage this year which will drive up the cost for tea across the board for anyone buying on the market.

Hey guys,
    I work in Superquinn and i can inform you that infact Superquinn were following the lead of Tesco AND Dunnes by refusing to stock Lyons Tea. Difference is that they have much larger warehouses and had alot more of the cheap stock left to sell through. All stores completed quarterly stocktaking yesterday so we werent holding very much stock.

And as of Saturday, the stock was coming back in again, at the previous price, so some sort of agreement has been come to. I don't think Superquinn actually have THAT much buying power but the big 3 combined certainly do. I think they do have to make a stand as unilever is a HUGE company and if they got away with a big hike on lyons there are many other of their lines that would follow suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

ejmaztec wrote: »

Absolutely. It's even worded differently, here it's because they're looking out for the needs of the customer, in the other thread it's a giant British retailer trying to squeeze the life blood out of hard working Irish suppliers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Hey guys,
    I work in Superquinn and i can inform you that infact Superquinn were following the lead of Tesco AND Dunnes by refusing to stock Lyons Tea.
    And now a suspicious €1.50 off here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60052702&posted=1#post60052702

No doubt they want people to go in demanding it in the supermarkets so it appears to be popular sneaky bastards.

coupon.jpg

EDIT: I see now that is green tea, dunno if they stopped selling all types of lyons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 scruff murphy

Red Alert wrote: »
    Superquinn in Ballinteer yesterday had a notice displayed saying that they were not going to stock Unilever-supplied Lyons Tea. They claimed that the supplier wanted a price increase and that this was 'unfair on their customers'.

No. in my opinion, Superquinn is one of the great last bastions of Irish shops trying to hang in there. They are in my opinion, one of the more pleasant shops to shop in, and their stock is always fresh and appealing. They would be right about greedy suppliers, which is why id say Tesco are doing what theyre doing in the border towns. :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement