Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the Green Party Pull Out?

Options
  • 26-04-2009 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

I seriously think they should abandon ship with their coalition or whatever it is with this morally bankrupt government as they are prolonging the agony of this state of affairs, they would gain more respect from any potential voters for them!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

They won't as they know it will be thier last day in the Dáil if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Then we're doomed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Jim Martin wrote: »
    I seriously think they should abandon ship with their coalition or whatever it is with this morally bankrupt government as they are prolonging the agony of this state of affairs, they would gain more respect from any potential voters for them!

Rats abandon ships, they will lose a lot more by abandoning right now. Besides I've little hope for improvement from Inda and his crew (eg the anti-immegration foreigner Varadkar)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I think this is more of a political discussion than a green issue.

Moved to politics from GI. Mods feel free to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

They're holding on because they know it'll be their last ever stint in Government. I think as a party, they're doomed beyond this. They've shown the public they're useless with the failed tax policy on workers in cities driving their cars to work and generally useless overall.

Unfortunately greener issues have taken a back seat in the current climate with the main stream parties adopting similar ideas on all things green

They've wimped out in government. I think it's back to protesting in the trees for the green party

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wacko

I hate the Green party as much as the next person, but why do polls seem to show a steady support for them, if the polls are right would they not be better off getting out now with whatever credibility they have and trying to go with FG and Labour ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Judging by their performance so far, the greatest tragedy is that their fathers didn't pull out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

They won't pull out unless something extraordinary happens as they realise that would seriously hamper any chance of being part of a coalition again; leaving at the first sign of trouble is not what a government is looking for in a partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

flanzer wrote: »
    They're holding on because they know it'll be their last ever stint in Government. I think as a party, they're doomed beyond this. They've shown the public they're useless with the failed tax policy on workers in cities driving their cars to work and generally useless overall.

. I think it's back to protesting in the trees for the green party
    ++++++11111111
    i think this crowd are the biggest bunch of hypocritical morons in the dail at the moment and when you see whay we have to compare them to thats saying something

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I suspect if they have a disasterous showing in the local and european elections they may decide to jump ship. The only issue they may have is if thats the case then the performance in the then General Election would mean a loss of seats as well so they could also brass-neck it out.

In the past I had given them a high preference on my vote. This will no longer be the case, they have sullied their names and reputations going into Government with and prolonging and supporting a tainted Fianna Fail party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Yeah, I have to say I included the green party after Labour and FG on the basis that they wouldn't go into gov with FF in the last election and after they did enter government I was more than a bit frustrated.

I do think that if they had pulled out a little while ago then I might have been open to the idea that they were putting the country first and willing to act as watchdog to their government partners but to be honest the way things are right now I won't be in a hurry to give them my vote in the future..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

(1) In fairness to the Greens, they were very clear that they would go into FF, but would prefer not to.

(2) They will be destroyed if they pulled out now (Can we please think of a new phrase?), in a strange way they are gaining credibility, as many people said that they would turn and run as soon as the going got tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

(2) They will be destroyed if they pulled out now (Can we please think of a new phrase?),

Ok how about PD'ed considering FF successfully engineered the demise of the Progressive Democrats in the same manner. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

(2) They will be destroyed if they pulled out now (Can we please think of a new phrase?), in a strange way they are gaining credibility, as many people said that they would turn and run as soon as the going got tough.

How are they gaining credibility ? ? i see this in the polls but I do not understand it . . FF are facing huge criticism for the decisions they are making (eg, the mini budget) yet the Green's vote alongside FF to approve the budget, when questioned don't seem to even have or understand a party line on the issue and yet their approval rating goes up.

They are losing my credibility by continuing to prop up an ineffective government . .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They are still wedded to the idea that they can advance their policies. 7% is really not an awful lot and would not get them many seats . The Greens typically depend very heavily on transfers, so their seats at 7% could be anything fo
    from the current 6 down to 1-2 seats depending on how generous those transfers are. I reckon the only thing that would cause them to go is if Batt O'Keefe brings back some form of 3rd level fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

The only green TD I have respect for is Trevor Sargent.
    He quit after leading them to power after giving his word that he would so.
    He also has resigned his teaching position during his second Dail term, is the only TD to resign without his pension rights.

As much as I hate the Green party here is a guy with principles and that I respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭r0nanf

is_that_so wrote: »
    They are still wedded to the idea that they can advance their policies.

Agreed. Look what the PDs "achieved" as the small partner with FF. They took Enterprise, Health and Justice portfolios, the Tánaiste seat and pushed through their liberalized market and low tax approach which contributed hugely to the ruination of this country.

The Greens so far have renaiged on their key election promise which was increasing the quality of education. They may say the budget isn't there, but it apparently is for Metro North so it is all about priorities. What about the incinerators? The M3 protests? The only thing that they have achieved is a major shafting, and the only thing that's ruined is their party's reputation.

I gave them my second preference in the last GE and I am disgusted with their crawlbacks and how naive they've turned out to be. FF have flittered them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The opinion polls show unchanged support for the greens so why should they pull out. We can't be changing government every 5 minutes just because we don't like their current policy. It's even more critical that they stay in, otherwise unpopular decisions like the pension levy would not get off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

The opinion polls show unchanged support for the greens so why should they pull out. We can't be changing government every 5 minutes just because we don't like their current policy. It's even more critical that they stay in, otherwise unpopular decisions like the pension levy would not get off the ground.

But we haven't be changing the government every 5 mins like my beloved Newcastle United.
    How long have those c0cksuckers Fianna Fail been in Government?
    Time for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

(1) In fairness to the Greens, they were very clear that they would go into FF, but would prefer not to.

Trev said he would never lead his party into government with FF.

He just led them through the discussions, the party vote and then resigned.

As part of his final betrayal he stood up and proposed that scumbag Bertie for Taoiseach, and then took a junior ministry.

Unfortunately that is what passes for behaving with honour in this country.

Luckily enough, Gormley who coined the phrase "Planet Bertie", was happy enough to jump into bed with the aforementioned Bertie.

Scum, scum, scum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

But we haven't be changing the government every 5 mins like my beloved Newcastle United.
    How long have those c0cksuckers Fianna Fail been in Government?
    Time for a change.

And that chance will be given at the next general election, but calling for elections in between terms only makes for populist decision making. If the government had claimed 5 years ago that the housing market was overheating and that they'd have to restrict purchasing and lose construction jobs to prevent this happening, do you think people would have been happy then?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So they should have done nothing about it?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Cliste wrote: »
    Rats abandon ships, they will lose a lot more by abandoning right now. Besides I've little hope for improvement from Inda and his crew (eg the anti-immegration foreigner Varadkar)

Leo Varadkar TD was born in dublin, but dont let a little thing like the truth get in the way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

The only green TD I have respect for is Trevor Sargent..

Was amazing act to fall on his sword alright, when most politicans would have claimed that the quote was out of context. But to be fair, I think both Gormley and Eamonn Ryan are good men.

I think if the Green's were to pull out, as well as giving up government (without having much chance of getting back in) there is the possibility that they may be blamed for putting the country in a worse situation. The last thing that the country needs at this stage is something else to knock our already suspect stability, and I dont think the Irish people would forget this decision if they took it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How exactly did he fall on his sword?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I have strong dislike for the Green party, I consider them to be a party based upon fundamentalist ideology coupled with a rather naive outlook. I don't even think much of their green policies.

For me, the only real talent within the organisation would be Dan Boyle, the rest I've no time for; but the one thing that sticks in my craw, is whenever I hear Sargent claiming that he kept his promise of not leading the Greens into Coalition with FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Was amazing act to fall on his sword alright, when most politicans would have claimed that the quote was out of context. But to be fair, I think both Gormley and Eamonn Ryan are good men.

And he got right back up off it and sauntered into Govt. I don't doubt they are but Mark Anthony springs to mind here. Of more relevance is the word "able".
    For Brutus is an honourable man;
    So are they all; all honourable men
    Julius Caesar Act 3 Scene 2
    I think if the Green's were to pull out, as well as giving up government (without having much chance of getting back in) there is the possibility that they may be blamed for putting the country in a worse situation. The last thing that the country needs at this stage is something else to knock our already suspect stability, and I dont think the Irish people would forget this decision if they took it.

That is doubtful and only the results of the local elections will confirm ihow popular they still are. How much worse can the Greens make things? The only downside is the gap between an old and new government but seeing as TDs get so many holidays and will head off for a very long break in the summer we might not even notice. The only question is the timing and if they do go it'll be more likely towards the end of the year. Yes it'll be another stick to beat them with but with a populace itching to see the back of FF they might even be thanked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

The Green Party have evidently chosen the path of indignity - they could have left long before this with some feigned shred of integrity.

- Now look set to stay on the sorry, sorry gravy train - drinking vacuously at the bar until the public calls closing and the Bouncers throw them out; covered in their own urine, vomit and faeces.....pants around their ankles - But oh they will say they next morning - what a fcuking ride we had.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭dny123456

They are one of the few political parties, who act on what they stand for, whether you agree with them or not, you have to admire them for that.

They have had the courage to scrap the electronic voting white elephant. They've brought in tax relief for cyclists. Tax on city centre parking. Investing in inter connector with UK, so we can develop and use sustainable energy sources. This would not be possible without the inter connector, which will cost a lot of money upfront, but will be worthwhile in the long term. It's a very brave politician that will take 'long term' expensive action. Politicians normally look at the 3-4 year horizon (elections)

Eamon Ryan is the only successful businessman in the cabinet. Its exactly that acumen that we need in our government. Not a load of teachers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Raiser wrote: »
    The Green Party have evidently chosen the path of indignity - they could have left long before this with some feigned shred of integrity.

- Now look set to stay on the sorry, sorry gravy train - drinking vacuously at the bar until the public calls closing and the Bouncers throw them out; covered in their own urine, vomit and faeces.....pants around their ankles - But oh they will say they next morning - what a fcuking ride we had.......

:rolleyes:

It's Raiser back with catchy metaphors - who cares if it doesn't make sense!

Advertisement