Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonalds Closure

Options
  • 26-04-2009 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

ok, so its an old article (week or two) but it prompted me to find it after seeing the signs up in the window in the week, and seeing it mentioned in another thread

well thats one less public toilet in the town

:D

also ends the supamacs rumours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Seriously, I used that toilet so often :( First Tesco's gets like, permanently broken (is that fixed yet?) and now this.

Oh well, guess it's McGarrigle's from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

MCDONALDS IS CLOSED??!!!??!!

That's it. I'm getting onto Jimmy Devins. Man of the people, he is...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Xiney wrote: »
    Seriously, I used that toilet so often :( First Tesco's gets like, permanently broken (is that fixed yet?) and now this.

Oh well, guess it's McGarrigle's from now on.
    MCDONALDS IS CLOSED??!!!??!!

That's it. I'm getting onto Jimmy Devins. Man of the people, he is...

yep, seriously, walked past it this evening, all the windows covered up, and a planning notice for a bank/building society on the door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Whatever you think of the food, its a great pity they are gone from Sligo...what sort of a town ( or "Gateway city" ) is it if it cannot support a McDonalds or a Burgerking ?
    At least the local or at least Irish owned fast food businesses will not desert Sligo as quick....and any profit they make stay in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

To be fair Jimmy mcDonalds owner ray croc has always said he was in the property business not the food business.

• Advertisement

They had a lease on the McDonalds premises in Sligo so it was not really in the property business where we are talking about. It was in the business of making money from selling food.

So its a vote of no-confidence in the country when McDonalds actually closes a restaurant ? Rumour has it the one at Carraroe is the quietest / worst performing McDonalds in all of Ireland...it was always quieter than the one in Sligo as it had not passing traffic / students / town shoppers / people eating before the cinema / post office or whatever etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

jimmmy wrote: »
    Whatever you think of the food, its a great pity they are gone from Sligo...what sort of a town ( or "Gateway city" ) is it if it cannot support a McDonalds or a Burgerking ?
    At least the local or at least Irish owned fast food businesses will not desert Sligo as quick....and any profit they make stay in Ireland.

I thought it was a positive thing that McD's and Burger King closed. Obviously people aren't prepared to put up with that cr*p and would rather go to another eating establishment where they get edible food not covered in salt. Good riddance, I say!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

Bad sign to see it go in any case. not a regular of mcds but like an aule chicken (ahem) nugget from time to time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

It would be nice to think that McD's were going for the right reasons as in the people of Sligo have discovered healthy eating for themselves and their children, but just not profitable enough for them no doubt. McDonalds is a kind of stamp that a town has "arrived". (awful as it is to globalisation I suppose :eek:)

Perhaps it could be a new positive beginning.
    Wonder where all the kids will go that used to "hang" there. Suppose as tacky as it was, it was still somewhere (relatively safe) for that.

Mrs.T wrote: »
    I thought it was a positive thing that McD's and Burger King closed.

Some people are going to want fast food sometimes....you cannot change that. Whats the harm in a kid having a McDonalds hamburger as a treat once every few months ? I am not suggesting people should eat there every day. I think it was very good value for money and always consistent ...where else would you get a burger for one euro ? Its ok for you if you have lots of money + live in a perfect world. Many locals + tourists alike look for a name they can trust if they are hungry + want something quick + cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭slapbangwhallop

tuppence wrote: »
    It would be nice to think that McD's were going for the right reasons as in the people of Sligo have discovered healthy eating for themselves and their children, but just not profitable enough for them no doubt. McDonalds is a kind of stamp that a town has "arrived". (awful as it is to globalisation I suppose :eek:)

Perhaps it could be a new positive beginning.
    Wonder where all the kids will go that used to "hang" there. Suppose as tacky as it was, it was still somewhere (relatively safe) for that.

not only to others see it as a sign that a town has "arrived" when it has a McD or BK etc. other retailers do as well, especially multi nationals.Other retailers/institutions in a town can often be one of the criteria that a company looks at analysing if they will open in a town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Some people are going to want fast food sometimes....you cannot change that. Whats the harm in a kid having a McDonalds hamburger as a treat once every few months ? I am not suggesting people should eat there every day. I think it was very good value for money and always consistent ...where else would you get a burger for one euro ? Its ok for you if you have lots of money + live in a perfect world. Many locals + tourists alike look for a name they can trust if they are hungry + want something quick + cheap.

There are more fast food places in sligo and some are a lot better. The new kebab place at the top of market street is nice enough! And lots of sandwiches to be got around the place, healthier and tastier!! I have no principles against McD but it is just really rank food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

One of the first things I noticed and loved about Sligo was the choice of food that is available so that I didn't have to rely on McD's and BK.
    I didn't say there was anything wrong with a child having a McD's treat every so often (especially with the amount of salt they put on the chips it would have to be once in a blue moon :p).
    Now there is room for a Supermac's!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'm no big fan of fast food and no one is forced to go to McDonalds but let's not kid ourselves here - McDonalds closing thier outlet in the centre of Sligo is a very bad sign - it is vote of no confidence in the town (town by the way people, not city in a million years...:rolleyes:)

Other retailers will see McDonalds closing as a cue for them to reconsider their operation in Sligo. Expect many more retailers to close.

Sligo town's population is in decline, the only such large town in Ireland to experiencing population loss. Something is badly wrong here...:confused::(

Mrs.T wrote: »
    One of the first things I noticed and loved about Sligo was the choice of food that is available so that I didn't have to rely on McD's and BK.
    I didn't say there was anything wrong with a child having a McD's treat every so often (especially with the amount of salt they put on the chips it would have to be once in a blue moon :p).
    Now there is room for a Supermac's!!

there was that rumour when the cararoe branch was being built, although think the planning request from the perminant tsb has put an end to that

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Well, what with the McDonalds closure and the end of pedestrianisation of O'Connell Street it is clear that the town is going backwards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I'm not from Sligo (I'm from Waterford) but I'll say two things -

1. If there's a Mcdonalds closing in a town, it's a VERY bad sign for that town.
    2. Was talking to a Music promoter recently and he told me that the two worst places in Ireland at the moment to try and promote a good act are SLigo, and Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I'm no big fan of fast food and no one is forced to go to McDonalds but let's not kid ourselves here - McDonalds closing thier outlet in the centre of Sligo is a very bad sign - it is vote of no confidence in the town (town by the way people, not city in a million years...:rolleyes:)

Other retailers will see McDonalds closing as a cue for them to reconsider their operation in Sligo. Expect many more retailers to close.

Sligo town's population is in decline, the only such large town in Ireland to experiencing population loss. Something is badly wrong here...:confused::(

I very much doubt its the only town in fairness that's experiencing population loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I very much doubt its the only town in fairness that's experiencing population loss.

It was in the last cencus, AFAIK:(

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

What's all the cynicism behind it's closure? It's lease was up in that building, and when they have a new bigger better McDonalds just outside town they obviously didn't want to renew it.

• Advertisement

Fitzo wrote: »
    What's all the cynicism behind it's closure? It's lease was up in that building, and when they have a new bigger better McDonalds just outside town they obviously didn't want to renew it.

yes, but it could be an indication of the direction the town is going in, less people about the town, less demand for fast food for your lunch or grab something on the go, at least the drive thru attracts passing traffic

irish-stew wrote: »
    yes, but it could be an indication of the direction the town is going in, less people about the town, less demand for fast food for your lunch or grab something on the go, at least the drive thru attracts passing traffic

Rumour has it that the Carraroe McDonalds is the quietest of all the McDonalds in the country. I guess when you see it in reality its not surprising. Its a few miles from the town centre, has no pedestrian traffic passing its door, has no apartments or houses within walking distance, and its drive through is off the beaten track / not direct access from a busy main road. Hence its not surprising to never ( or at least very seldom ) see any vehicles using its drive through as you sit in the car park eating your Big Mac. At least the likes of the 4 lanterns in the town always has someone queing at its cash register ( because of its location ) ... visit both restaurants to see. I have no connection to either restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

It really does show how the local chippers can hold their own ie: fourlights

strongr wrote: »
    It really does show how the local chippers can hold their own ie: fourlights

I choose the 4 lights over McD any time!! like the kebab shop up market street aswell, think they're called zam zam. Liked the kebab even sober!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Rumour has it that the Carraroe McDonalds is the quietest of all the McDonalds in the country. .

Always a queue when I'm there..

Anyways, it's a bloody McDonalds.
    a) Who cares?
    b) There's been more said about a McDonalds closing down in comparison to when Rovers were on the verges of it recently.

I choose the 4 lights over McD any time!!

Plus at least you are helping the local economy more....supporting Irish locals ( who are loyal to the locality ) rather than foreign multinational shops / chains of restaurants out in Carraroe....who take any profits out of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Of course. Because McD's import all their staff from far-away lands of fairytale. The restaurant closing certainly wouldn't mean that any hardworking Sligo people would loose their jobs.

Oh wait......

Plus at least you are helping the local economy more....supporting Irish locals ( who are loyal to the locality ) rather than foreign multinational shops / chains of restaurants out in Carraroe....who take any profits out of the country.

Absolutly! and we can afford it again since they all dropped their prices, Hooray!

fozzle wrote: »
    Of course. Because McD's import all their staff from far-away lands of fairytale. The restaurant closing certainly wouldn't mean that any hardworking Sligo people would loose their jobs.

Oh wait......

did they not just go to the McD at the retail park?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Always a queue when I'm there..

Anyways, it's a bloody McDonalds.
    a) Who cares?
    b) There's been more said about a McDonalds closing down in comparison to when Rovers were on the verges of it recently.
    +1 get over it <snip>

Advertisement