Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just another, YET another, RTW itinerary advice post!!

• 26-04-2009 1:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28

know there are hundreds of similar type posts re. planning the ultimate RTW trip but I just said I'd add to them and hope against hope that someone has done a similar type trip and can put me on the right track.
    My ideal list of locations/ route plan would be:
    London/Manchester/Belfast- L.A- Fiji/Cook Islands/Solomon Islands etc- Auckland- Tokyo- Delhi- London
    This is a full ‘ideal’ list of the places I might like to visit. In the interest of budget constraints I am more than willing to negotiate regarding destinations, flexible in terms of where to go! Am not particularly interested in stopping in Australia, also have visited SE Asia and S.America so do not particularly want to go via these destinations.
    The more expensive locations of Tokyo, USA are less of a priority- just on the ‘wish list’ more than anything.
    I am thinking about departure in September 2009, this too is flexible. The approx. time line would be:
    USA- 3/4 weeks
    NZ- 3 or 4 months- will probably work there
    Islands- 3/ 4 weeks
    Japan- 2/3 weeks
    India- 2/3 weeks
    Thanks in advance everyone/anyone(!!??)...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Sounds awesome. My only concern is that, imo India would not be a great place to end your trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 SunSeaSand

Thanks Bread Monkey! I'm still all over the place re. actually BOOKING the bloody thing! Why d'ya think that re. India?

I just found India to be a fairly stressful place to travel in general. I had been to a few countries in SE Asia and thought I was totally prepared but I was still shocked at how insane it was. I just didn't like having to have my guard up the whole time, constantly wary of being scammed. I don't think that's the type of vibe on which you should end your rtw trip.

When I think back over my time there, I feel glad I went but would never go back. This is of course based solely on my own experiences so if you're dead set then don't let me knock you off track!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I'd agree, although I love India. 2009 will be my 4th summer there.
    You need energy for India, and at the end of my RTW I was wrecked, lost all energy.
    Also, your luggage might be heavier at the end if you've picked stuff up. You really don't need luggage holding you down in Indian, need to move quickly!
    I think maybe the US might be more relaxed for the end of a trip.
    But that said, do go to India. It's great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 SunSeaSand

True, from research I have done re.India I agree with ye're opinions above. To be honest I have been struggling with the thought of going to India above anywhere else as i am travelling alone, female and have read all the scare stories etc. re women travellers in India, but I still really want to go- some days i say to myself yes, I'm going to go and others I wake up worrying about it! What a freak eh?!
    Appreciate the advice though, know the feeling of being hassled when at the end of energy reserves form SE Asia... so is worth considering.
    Oh, I priced the ticket for above route with trailfinders today- she said would be round the 200o mark- does that sound right? Waitn for UK places to get back to me

• Advertisement

dory wrote: »
    You need energy for India

Actually I think this might be a better way of looking at it. Dory alos made a good point about luggage - you'll defo have picked some stuff on your travels and India is one place you need to be super light.

OP, what about doing that route in reverse? Will that affect the time of year you're in each country?

SunSeaSand wrote: »
    True, from research I have done re.India I agree with ye're opinions above. To be honest I have been struggling with the thought of going to India above anywhere else as i am travelling alone, female and have read all the scare stories etc. re women travellers in India, but I still really want to go- some days i say to myself yes, I'm going to go and others I wake up worrying about it! What a freak eh?!
    Appreciate the advice though, know the feeling of being hassled when at the end of energy reserves form SE Asia... so is worth considering.
    Oh, I priced the ticket for above route with trailfinders today- she said would be round the 200o mark- does that sound right? Waitn for UK places to get back to me

2,000 sounds right but I'm not too sure, also I bought my tickets back in 2007 when things were a bit different.
    I really wouldn't worry about being a solo female in India. I felt a lot safer there on my own than say, some of South America. I arrived in Chennai at 11pm, and didn't have a hotel booked. Was pretty freaked about that but when I got there there were so many men who were scared for me, and so did everything they could to keep me safe. Same happened in Kolkata. I got sick and had people falling over themselves trying to help.
    Most of the scare stories (I find) come from people who constantly resisted India; got angry when they were constantly hassled etc. I was as friendly as I could be and people were friendly back. I'm not saying there aren't dangers, but women are travelling the middle east nowadays solo. Compared to that I think India is totally fine.

But pack as light as you possibly can!

dory wrote: »
    Most of the scare stories (I find) come from people who constantly resisted India; got angry when they were constantly hassled etc. I was as friendly as I could be and people were friendly back.

I dunno, I tried that but eventually found that being friendly/trusting just inevitably equated to getting screwed.

Yea, I kind of worked out a system where I was polite and friendly, but firm. Never got taken for a ride but never got angry.

Advertisement